Sponsored

BREAKING: 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Confirmed as the Most Track Capable 5.0L V8 Mustang Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Back to the Mach 1. PP1 or stiffer and I'm out. If I wanted a track car I would buy a track car. I don't need to feel the discs in my back on every bump. I know I'm not alone in this.
"Most Track Capable 5.0L V8 Mustang Ever"
This pretty much tells you that you're looking at PP2 or beyond. But what if the car has MagneRide?
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I dragged raced my 2011 Brembo mustang GT which head the 373 and first mt82 over a hundred times with the Roush supercharger. Yes I needed a heavier clutch but it shifted great. My Bullitt shifts excellent and it's much better than the 2011. I totally disagree that the MT82 is a poor transmission either shifter or internally shifting.

The gearing is way too long, I know that. But those that compare the Coyote to the Hemi or the LS engines it's apples to oranges.

It costs Ford over $1,000 more to make the Coyote than those push rod engines and compromises have to be made.

I will agree that the transmission in my 2007, 2009 Mustangs were not that great. But compared to the transmissions in my 60s muscles cars they were light years better.

Back to the Mach 1. PP1 or stiffer and I'm out. If I wanted a track car I would buy a track car. I don't need to feel the discs in my back on every bump. I know I'm not alone in this.
Obviously the truth about the MT82 is somewhere in the middle. They aren't all as good as the one in your '19, nor are they all as bad as what other peoples' experiences suggest. The D4's ratios are a little too widely spaced; that part of the transmission re-work was a step back from the original MT82.

FWIW, shifter action on Tremec's even older 3550 (all internal shift linkage being the main difference - even the ratios were essentially the same except for 1st) was still better than that of the 3650, especially after some miles had been accumulated.

MagneRide is probably an aging back's best friend as far as driving or riding in a car is concerned. MR + PP1 should be better at both performance and ride harshness than base. If your Brembo Mustang had the Tokico shocks & struts, don't use that as a basis for predicting ride comfort in a performance suspension. Japanese preferences in shock tuning - and in my experience that applies to Tokico in particular - tend to be needlessly harsh (I've used Tokico products myself, and regretted encountering every railroad grade crossing . . . and I actually prefer a firm, stuck-down kind of ride).

Norm

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
don't use that as a basis for predicting ride comfort in a performance suspension. Japanese preferences in shock tuning - and in my experience that applies to Tokico in particular - tend to be needlessly harsh
to this day they still can't get suspension remotely right. Showa, Kayaba it doesn't matter. Just hideous compression damping curves. Only when you get into the high dollar equpment does Showa suck less. Kayaba is basically hopeless no matter the price tag attached.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Good comments about the mt82. I did have tokicos on my 2011. I've been driving the Bullitt with magneride back to back with the 2018 A10 which came with 265s and all four corners. I bought it used and the Subaru dealer put new Falken Azenis FK510s on it. Stock 265/35-20. They are very good tires it turns out and the ride is more comfortable and quieter that the Michelins on my Bullitt in"normal" setting.

Handling is quite good but all around it find it more fun to drive. That's saying alot considering the Bullitt is supercharged.

Again, my opinion.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Oh, and the best part of the Falkens: They stick like glue. From a dead dig hardly spin. Just launch!

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
WAY easier and cheaper to just use smaller pistons. I would be very surprised if it's any way different than the Bullitt engine config with a handful more HP by raising the RPM limit a tad.
Dunno? Raising RPM gets expensive in requiring improved materials,QC,balancing,sourcing issues. Chains, Tensioners, Valve springs... manufacturing and material consistency and performance improvements for OEM reliability at higher RPMs is NOT cheap.
Ford will explore the hp/dollar options of a performance pushrod motor; even if it doesnt match the Coyote/Voodoo/xxxx hp/dollar, Ford must still explore that architecture to insure they are managing risk properly in technology investments.

Look at the GM LS. lots of power and lower RPM. Large displacement. Impressive packaging. The cost/performance ratio is a benchmark.
Did Ford just start releasing a new generation of pushrod blocks?:inlove:
Will there be an aluminum 7 liter pushrod block performance derivative?:lipssealed:

Does the Whippled 7 liter pushrod with 10R140 put down 1200ftlb?:lipssealed:
Will it fit in the S550 (the next Mustang chassis not capable of supporting 1200 ftlb torque)?:lipssealed:

Is Ford considering selling the S550 side by side with the next gen Mustang?:lipssealed:
That would be SWEET to walk into a showroom with MACHE, MACH1, Sxxx all with Mustang styling offered in same model year. This is EXACTLY what Porsche has done with 911 styling and produced a range of profitable variants ranging from wagons, SUVs, daily drivers, and GT2/3 track weapons... ALL ON THE SAME STYLING CUES...
I prey FORD continues this direction. :please: Give as a showroom full of Mustang styled options! Please!
The intellectual property in S550 is already developed and low risk to incrementally improve. It is low risk to continue building and selling it as a heavy 4 seater muscle car while concurrently selling the MACHE and a nextgen Stang.
Maybe even consider an additional budget 2 seater light weight variant so all us track rats can replace our MIATAs for amateur wheel to wheel racing. - Just benchmark performance and TRACK DAY OPERATING COSTS. Why is the largest grass roots racing series in America not run with Fords or Chevys? uggg

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So I'll guess this will be a rebadged bullitt with colours available other than green + the PP2 package & 10+k markup maybe. Big deal. Hopefully it comes with at least a DCT, but I doubt it.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
So I'll guess this will be a rebadged bullitt with colours available other than green + the PP2 package & 10+k markup maybe. Big deal. Hopefully it comes with at least a DCT, but I doubt it.
I think we may also see some of the GT350 goodies, like additional coolers, and maybe they've derived a MT82 cooler, that would be nice.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe even consider an additional budget 2 seater light weight variant
how though? A miata is a TINY car. The Mustang weight is in it's archaic frame construction. cheap != light unless considerable energy expended in the design so it can do both.

Raising RPM gets expensive
I'm talking 200-300 RPM worth, just enough to push it over the previous high-water mark. Pointless gesture? absolutely.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I dragged raced my 2011 Brembo mustang GT which head the 373 and first mt82 over a hundred times with the Roush supercharger. Yes I needed a heavier clutch but it shifted great. My Bullitt shifts excellent and it's much better than the 2011. I totally disagree that the MT82 is a poor transmission either shifter or internally shifting.

The gearing is way too long, I know that. But those that compare the Coyote to the Hemi or the LS engines it's apples to oranges.

It costs Ford over $1,000 more to make the Coyote than those push rod engines and compromises have to be made.

I will agree that the transmission in my 2007, 2009 Mustangs were not that great. But compared to the transmissions in my 60s muscles cars they were light years better.

"Most Track Capable 5.0L V8 Mustang Ever"
This pretty much tells you that you're looking at PP2 or beyond. But what if the car has MagneRide?
In my couple days with a Bullitt, I also found the gearing to be too long. Not my preference, but it wasn't a deal-breaker. The clutch feel combined with the very imprecise shifter motion was what soured me. That was the deal breaker. As I mentioned, I had at first attributed the clutch travel and the shifter physics to the car having been passed around to multiple press outlets. Then I got in the GT350, which had been passed through at least as many press outlets and everything was click-click, with very smooth and predictable clutch action. Sold me on the Tremec. Of course I had already driven several Tremecs in Camaros, so there was some bias of familiarity going on there, too.

As far as the rough ride, if you haven't tried Magneride, you oughta. World of difference.
***EDIT*** Your profile says you have Magneride in your Bullitt, so expect similar ride in a PP2 with Magneride.

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

mjr1989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Remember the video CJ Pony Parts put out late last year, in November I believe? They stated they had it on good authority that the Mach was returning for 2021 and that it was going to come equipped with the Tremec from the GT350, as well as some of the cooling and track bits from the GT350. That video was then taken down at the request of Ford. So I'd say that we're going to see the Tremec as the manual option.

Alex1979

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Remember the video CJ Pony Parts put out late last year, in November I believe? They stated they had it on good authority that the Mach was returning for 2021 and that it was going to come equipped with the Tremec from the GT350, as well as some of the cooling and track bits from the GT350. That video was then taken down at the request of Ford. So I'd say that we're going to see the Tremec as the manual option.

I agree, I say Tremec is 100% an the A10 May be optional. That video was taken down because it was “too accurate”.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.