Diagnose vibration / Noise & Unresponsive Dealer

ruboz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I'm at wits end trying to uncover the source of a vibration and noise. The noise is a deep base vibration that occurs as the revs are coming down while in neutral or when I'm in gear decelerating towards the lower end of the RPM. If I rev the car in neutral I can feel a vibration in the door handle. However, if I repeat the rev and open either door the noise goes away.

The background is this all started when I had my local dealer do the shifter recall and replace a damaged headliner. As soon as I pulled off the dealer's lot I turned around and made them aware of the noise. I have since been back to the same dealer 3 times with them saying no problem. Today I finally got the service advisor to sit in the car and hear the problem. He said yes, that's bad and saw how the door opening canceled it out. He said I'll talk to his service manager and that's when it all went down hill. He tells me that the service manager says there's no problem, they don't have another car to compare to and that I should go back to my purchasing dealer which is over an hour away. I was like what the $%@#? I asked for the service manager and had to wait 45 minutes for him to come out. The service manger finally came out and said he was busy with the Ford system being down and said the same crap the advisor said. I need to find another 350R and have them side by side so that he can hear a problem. He refused to come out and sit in my car. I've now written them off.

Next week I will reach out my purchasing dealer to see if their willing to diagnose another dealers mess but I need help on how to proceed forward with Ford Corporate if this doesn't work out.

I'm also trying to do my on diagnosis which fix this problem is associated with; the headliner replacement or the shifter recall fix. The noise comes from the back seat area which makes me think something lose in the headliner or something with the noise cancelling system. However, the vibration felt on the door and being resolved when opened makes me think something with the shifter.

Other than driving with one door open does anyone have ideas on how to self diagnose this issue?
Sponsored

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Based on on they have to touch during that recall (not what they actually did :) )I would check improperly torqued transmission mount (or maybe they dropped it and messed it up). I do not think the driveshaft will have anything to do with this. Just an idea...

Or improperly put together exhaust (they have to connect it according to the instructions).

OP
OP

ruboz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I have the 14 page service procedure Ford created for the shifter recall and did eyeball the touch points. I'll have to check if the crossmember bolts are torqued to 46 lb ft (63 NM) per the write up.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
this is why I refuse to let any dealer touch my car to do this shifter recall. If I don't get around to doing it myself before the deadline than i'll just replace the OEM shifter with an MGW.

It would drive me insane to have to deal with that noise. Even worse than that would be my reaction to a service manager that would treat me like that after I bought a $70,000 car !!! Even if it wasn't from that particular dealer, after you get this figured out you should contact Ford HQ and let them know how shitty this dealership's service manager treated you.

These people need to be held accountable for their shitty services.

Good luck man.

OP
OP

ruboz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Thanks for the feedback. I just spoke to the service manger at my purchasing dealer who remembered me from last December. I gave him the complete story and he was thankfully very understanding and receptive to helping me. I be taking my hour drive the end of next week and hopefully get past this.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ruboz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
No track time on this car, I just hit 1K miles, maybe hit 90's on the interstate. I don't think it's drive line issue since it does it in neutral. It happens as the RPM comes down in gear under load or just rev'ing it and stops as soon as you open either door. Weird

Hopefully I get this resolved next week, I'll report back what they find.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
Keep us posted. Hopefully it’s an easy fix

JZTRK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R''Ken'' 2016 GT350 2020 GT "Mollie"
yes you are feeling a vibration no it is not related to engine or trans or any other mechanical part what you are feeling it the horrible horrible ESA also known as the FAKE engine noise it is played through the door speakers and the second you open your door the car turns it off. a headliner replacement tells me that the microphone was either damaged or not installed in the right place. the car also has active noise cancelling that uses the mic for that. do a search here and see how I turned mine off in my 2016 and 2019

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
Shelbys have the fake engine noise in the cabin ?!?!?

Sponsored

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
Wow!! Why???!! That exhaust note on the R Model is all you need. I’ve never heard a non R car so I don’t know what the difference between the two is.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Wow!! Why???!! That exhaust note on the R Model is all you need. I’ve never heard a non R car so I don’t know what the difference between the two is.
They both have it.

JZTRK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R''Ken'' 2016 GT350 2020 GT "Mollie"
R has no resonators much louder
standard dose much quieter

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
R has no resonators much louder
standard dose much quieter
That's correct, the R is louder outside because it has no resonators. However, it still has the enhancer in it for sound effects inside. It's programmed a little differently than the non-R, but it's still there and working.
Sponsored