Sponsored

Spare Tire Tale

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I light bulb just went off in my head. Has anyone checked wrecking yards? It won't help the guys with the big brakes but the spares from Ford Fusions will fit. When I go out of town, I pull mine out of my Fusion and put in the trunk, along with the lug nuts and 4 way lug wrench.
Sponsored

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Anybody has a solution for us PP2 guys with 305/30/19? Been carrying tire repair kit and the factory sealant/inflation kit, but want a real spare.

OP
OP

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
As I understand it, there is no difference between the PP1 and PP2 for spare tires. The issue is whether the spare wheel clears the brake calipers, which are the same Brembo units for both. You have to figure out how to store the 305/30-19 inside the trunk, which could be a real challenge if you are on a trip with suitcases in it. But the spare wheels and tires should be the same AFIK.

Again, if I had not had a floor jack along when it happened to me, I'd never have been able to break the 150 ft-lbs lug nuts loose with just a 1/2" ratchet handle. I used the jack handle as a breaker bar. As far as I'm concerned, 150 ft-lbs is a design flaw straight from Ford. Every other car including foreign ones I have owned in almost 70 years had been 100 ft-lbs or less. How is some 120 lbs woman supposed to change her tire unless she happens to be a weight lifter? I have provided for my own issue going forward, but Ford needs to address spare tires and lug nuts as a company so the vast majority of customers can change flat tires in my opinion. If not, perhaps they should suffer some sales loss or lawsuit loss as a result.

In the summer in places like Arizona, being caught in the middle of nowhere could be a death sentence. I lived in Phoenix for 22 years and have rescued many people on the side of the road while we were going dirt bike riding. We were always in a pickup with bikes, equipment, and much spare water / drinks. Once, I helped a little old lady who was close to heat exhaustion with a flat and she could not break the lug nuts loose. She drank two bottles of water before she even spoke to me. My bet is she never went driving again without extra water in the summer.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
As I understand it, there is no difference between the PP1 and PP2 for spare tires. The issue is whether the spare wheel clears the brake calipers, which are the same Brembo units for both. You have to figure out how to store the 305/30-19 inside the trunk, which could be a real challenge if you are on a trip with suitcases in it. But the spare wheels and tires should be the same AFIK.

Again, if I had not had a floor jack along when it happened to me, I'd never have been able to break the 150 ft-lbs lug nuts loose with just a 1/2" ratchet handle. I used the jack handle as a breaker bar. As far as I'm concerned, 150 ft-lbs is a design flaw straight from Ford. Every other car including foreign ones I have owned in almost 70 years had been 100 ft-lbs or less. How is some 120 lbs woman supposed to change her tire unless she happens to be a weight lifter? I have provided for my own issue going forward, but Ford needs to address spare tires and lug nuts as a company so the vast majority of customers can change flat tires in my opinion. If not, perhaps they should suffer some sales loss or lawsuit loss as a result.

In the summer in places like Arizona, being caught in the middle of nowhere could be a death sentence. I lived in Phoenix for 22 years and have rescued many people on the side of the road while we were going dirt bike riding. We were always in a pickup with bikes, equipment, and much spare water / drinks. Once, I helped a little old lady who was close to heat exhaustion with a flat and she could not break the lug nuts loose. She drank two bottles of water before she even spoke to me. My bet is she never went driving again without extra water in the summer.
I thought 150 lb*ft was excessive too but after some research it appears that for a 14x1.5 stud we may need that torque to provide proper bolt stretch to keep the joint tight. GM and others have 14 mm studs and similar torque specs (140 anyway) including the higher spec Camaros.

I still don't like 150 and keep a long breaker bar in the trunk, hoping I never have to remove the nuts by the side of the road on a hot day (like we don't get many of those in FL). ;)

SOMDS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Prem PP1|MT6|MR, '17 Lexus IS300 f-Sport, '08 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I went the AA route with collapsible jack for peace of mind too. Added some sound dampening sheets to the floor pan to reduce rattling and vibrations. Fits perfectly. I even added a roll up tool pouch with 150 ft-lb torque wrench, collapsible lug wrench/socket and some extra hand tools all tucked beneath spare. And even fit emergency LED road flares, as well. Better safe than sorry imo.
71D56236-CF5E-4D21-921D-A8FB09CDE238.jpeg

Sponsored

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Wheel size for my front wheel on the performance pack level two ? I know they are 19 inch but I think they are a half inch narrower than my rear wheel ? Other than buying a brand new one from Ford could I source used from another Mustang GT with or without the level one or level two package that will have similar diameter and width but large enough to fit over the Brembo brake ?

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Anybody has a solution for us PP2 guys with 305/30/19? Been carrying tire repair kit and the factory sealant/inflation kit, but want a real spare.
The AA wheel fits PP2. I called them and asked when I upgraded and personally test fit it to the front.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I think PP1 and PP2 cars have different diameter tires, but not completely sure. Problem is with a Torsen, it has to be bang on, to avoid damage, especially if you have to travel some miles to get it fixed. In case of PP2 owners, since they have a square setup, a front tire would fit perfectly as well. We PP1 owners have a smaller front tire, but at least it wouldn't hurt anything, other than maybe a TC/ABS light that would clear after reinstalling the correct diameter tire.

I'm probably going to bite the 'bullitt' and also get a spare, but since I just installed Steeda full-size jacking rails, which clear the rear jacking OEM slot, but not the front, which jack kit would be better in my case? The factory Ford jack, or the AA one offered with the $500 spare kit? The good news is the great majority of nail-type flats are rear ones, but the front ones are the first to go when you hit something sharp, so still want to be covered. Seems unsafe to use a jack meant to have the pinch seam in the middle, against a flat jacking rail, no? Oh, and I'd also continue to carry the OEM compressor/goop (needed to inflate tires if needed), PLUS a Stop'nGo flat tire repair kit, to basically have all repair options on the table :D.

Finally, I also agree 150 ft/lbs is ridiculous for the ultra great majority of us. Manufacturers, in order to avoid liability, have resorted to recommending everything for the absolute maximum extremes. You just don't need 150 ft/lbs of torque unless you're doing the freaking Paris-Dakar 2,600+ mile rally. Lug bolts require more torque, and the max I've seen is 118 on my ex-Porsche. My ex-Vettes had lug nuts too, and required 100, and had much wider and heavier wheels/tires. I'm using 120 on my Fords (they never loosened up on my FX4 F-150), and even that might be a bit over the top. And on engine oil, they're recommending what the EPA wants, not what's best for the engine IMO (especially in hot climates), so I always take those recommendations with a grain of salt, but to each his own :).

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Problem is with a Torsen, it has to be bang on, to avoid damage, especially if you have to travel some miles to get it fixed.
No. While it's baked into everyone that you want to keep rolling diameters the same across an LSD, Torsen explicitly states that you can have up to a 25% difference in wheel diameter across a Torsen for the allowable speed and range of a T-spare (typically 50 mph for 50 miles). If you look at how the worm gear / worm wheels setup in a Torsen works, that makes a lot of sense. In any event, a Torsen is far more tolerant of wheel diameter differences than a Trac Loc friction disk setup.

https://torsen.com/ask-torsen-using-a-mini-spare-tire/

Sponsored

Lancer37

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
My 2017 Mustang is just the base V6 (which I love), without PP. I decided to go 'old school' and forego some trunk room (it's just me and my wife, and we don't take the kitchen sink when we travel). I found a new aftermarket wheel for $50, and am putting a good used tire on it. The cost is pretty reasonable, and I'll be using my little 4,000 lb floor jack that had been gathering dust and a 1/2" breaker bar I picked up for $11.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Linkster 1666.

AAA was not going to help. The 3/8" bolt left a BIG hole and because I was in some traffic and took a few hundred yards to get safely to the roadside, the sidewall made the tire not repairable. Another wrecker stopped and we tried to air it up; no joy. the actual hole was a bit more than 1/4: in diameter and would be an iffy plug fix. When I drive the car, I want a reliable tire on it, not one I have to worry about. AAA would have wanted to send a wrecker and the Mustang GT has no tow hook and sits very low. The flat tire was driver side rear and the front spoiler is low enough that you can't raise the rear end and tow it. That leaves a Jerr-Dan type roll bed that will also trash the front lower deck.

Actually, I was thinking of getting a track tow hook just for the off chance of something that would REQUIRE a tow ... like a blown engine. If that were to happen, I'd be forced to tow it.

I thought this through before sitting in the car for several hours. End result is the car is home with zero damage. The only downside was a less-than-wonderful Sunday afternoon. I have a new tire on the way (had to order one) and America's Tire has the wheel and tire waiting for the new one. So, no real downside to doing it the right way other than my time.

Hi Gatsby, if you keep the torque wrench pre-set to 150 ft-lbs, it won;t be when you use it. You are supposed to set torque wrenches to zero for storage.

Hi EFI, so a 235-35/19 on an 8.5: wheel fits in the spar tire compartment? Now that's nice to know. Thanks! My question is this: I thought the real issue with spares was not the tire, but the PP Brembo brakes that don't clear the non-PP wheels. Is your car a PP1 or PP2? What specific wheels clear the PP brakes?
Thanks for the data.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
a Torsen is far more tolerant of wheel diameter differences than a Trac Loc friction disk setup.
Well, depends if mechanical or electronic. But yes, the Torsen has some room for 'error', but I'd rather not push my luck with that. And by 'some miles', I meant well above 50, since I mostly travel in the middle of nowhere. As the guy said, a 1/4" difference doesn't really matter, which is basically as close as you can get in most spare cases. And I don't know about you, but I wouldn't like to be forced to immediately fix a flat, so rather have one that can go several hundred miles if needed without any possible damage, and repair the flat at my convenience. But to each his own :D.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I think PP1 and PP2 cars have different diameter tires, but not completely sure. Problem is with a Torsen, it has to be bang on, to avoid damage,
Someone posted a link to a page at the Torsen site that says even a ridiculous mismatch in the 20 something percent range is not an issue as far as wear. I suspect effectiveness as an LSD is a different story.

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10