Active Exhaust sounds like crap.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Sorry man lol I still need to look at mine more closely but I did a cold start standing behind the car while at work and heard a rattling from the right side. I have a feeling something with the active valve is loose but I need to poke around in there a little more to confirm.
Any update?
Sponsored

OP
OP
nmarz77

nmarz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Any update?
The dealership was able to replicate the complaint and has a new exhaust tip on order. Not sure if that will fix it or not but will post back after it's installed. They said it would be a couple weeks before it came in so it should be in any day now.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Thanks. Looking forward to it. I might put mine on my buddy's lift soon because I have a burning rubber smell under my car and we can try to find the leak/rattle.

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge
Anyone else's Active Exhaust sound like shit in Normal mode? Mine make the car sound like it has an exhaust leak when in Normal mode and I can even hear it in Sport mode slightly. I have to put it into Track mode for it to sound good.
Try quite mode, with the valves mostly closed, then listen for a leak. Just a suggestion.

OP
OP
nmarz77

nmarz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Try quite mode, with the valves mostly closed, then listen for a leak. Just a suggestion.
Quiet mode and Track mode sound fine. It's only Normal and Sports modes that have the issue.

Sponsored

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge
Quiet mode and Track mode sound fine. It's only Normal and Sports modes that have the issue.
Oh, OK, hope there in no leak.

OP
OP
nmarz77

nmarz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Sorry for not reporting back on this. The Muffler was on back-order and I got impatient so I started troubleshooting the problem myself. To make a long story short, I removed the active exhaust actuator and stretched out the spring that goes between it and the valve. The noise is about 80% better when cold and 100% better once it warms up a bit. Seems the springs get weak after a while and allow the valves to rattle. I still need to order brand new springs, but for now this is working. You will need to re-calibrate the Active exhaust after doing this or you will get error codes.

IntenseGT

In The Air of The Night
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19' GT MT PP1 PREM AE MR - MAGNETIC
I have to question if some of these replies actually have active exhaust... lol - J/K

I think it's tuned absolutely perfect and it sounds amazing for a factory system. My only comment is that Track and Sport sound almost the same from the driver's seat for the exception of more burps and pops in sport mode.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I was changing the modes when a guy was looking up the exhaust outlet, and he saw them move. Could easily be something loose.
They're moving constantly, except in track mode, where they're fully open all the time. As mentioned before, the other 3 modes have a map, so much more sophisticated than your typical on/off valves (mostly vacuum).

Hey guys, is there a way to use track exhaust without track mode? If I activate track exhaust, it automatically changes to track mode, because the suspension feels like crap immediately. Maybe in 'MyMode', but have already set it. There's also a window that says 'for track only', and the T/C lights on, but it's only relaxed, not deactivated; at least that's what the manual says. I also like sport the best, so not a big deal about the track option, but sometimes I like to turn it on :D. Thx.

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I have to question if some of these replies actually have active exhaust... lol - J/K

I think it's tuned absolutely perfect and it sounds amazing for a factory system. My only comment is that Track and Sport sound almost the same from the driver's seat for the exception of more burps and pops in sport mode.
I have it!

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Oh come on ....5k through town...they’ll love it
Take my word for it he ain't pushing 5k around town i
I'm still trying to decide what I want to do with my exhaust. Debating an H pipe, or either the Ford Performance or Borla X pipes. I loved the deep burbble sound my old Mach1 had with a catted x-pipe and borla stingers when at idle, but it seems that a smiliar sound is nearly impossible on the new 5.0's. I'm actually surprised now high the exhaust note is compaired to the 4.6.

The heads and OHC have more to do with the sound than exhaust pipes. Anyone want old engine sound, pull the motor and install an iron block with a push rod valve train.

This Mustang is badass the X pipe enhances the sound of the high revving motor .... Track mode all day. every day, night and say.

LMAO
Pep

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Sorry for not reporting back on this. The Muffler was on back-order and I got impatient so I started troubleshooting the problem myself. To make a long story short, I removed the active exhaust actuator and stretched out the spring that goes between it and the valve. The noise is about 80% better when cold and 100% better once it warms up a bit. Seems the springs get weak after a while and allow the valves to rattle. I still need to order brand new springs, but for now this is working. You will need to re-calibrate the Active exhaust after doing this or you will get error codes.
ummm how do you re-calibrate the solenoids? I’d love to know. I kept bending the corsa exhaust valve, and after a while it would be out of range and not work, after a warranty I figured out what was happening. The plate was bending. ( no Aukt of Corsa, the 2 step pops on shifts at 3500, when it does and it’s not on track I’m assuming it’s too much pressure and causing the bends) I took the valves to a local shop and they tig welded a brace across the valve, so far so good, but they have always rattled some I was thinking of trying your idea and stretching the spring a little.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
They're moving constantly, except in track mode, where they're fully open all the time. As mentioned before, the other 3 modes have a map, so much more sophisticated than your typical on/off valves (mostly vacuum).

Hey guys, is there a way to use track exhaust without track mode? If I activate track exhaust, it automatically changes to track mode, because the suspension feels like crap immediately. Maybe in 'MyMode', but have already set it. There's also a window that says 'for track only', and the T/C lights on, but it's only relaxed, not deactivated; at least that's what the manual says. I also like sport the best, so not a big deal about the track option, but sometimes I like to turn it on :D. Thx.
You should be able to go into the exhaust modes straight from the steering wheel button. From there you should be able to adjust the exhaust from quiet to track without it changing the modes of the car. Example, normal mode and track exhaust. Or sport mode and quiet exhaust, or what ever way you want it. It’s the steering wheel butting that takes you to the track apps, gauges, my mode and such

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
My only comment is that Track and Sport sound almost the same from the driver's seat for the exception of more burps and pops in sport mode.
Before I got the headers I couldn’t tell a difference between the Normal and sport modes. With the headers, in normal mode in about 3rd gear 45mph or so I start to hear the exhaust go quieter, almost like it’s going into quiet mode. In Sport, it seems to stay open The whole time, so not quite Half way open, but not quite in quiet mode, like a little more open then normal.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Think someone needs to hang a go pro under there to observe. Not convinced that the active valves are doing all this on the fly adjusting.
Active valve, to me says quiet, normal, sport, track.

Start, set sport+ and track exhaust mode. When the rpm settles down, the tone comes down, as it should.

Go back check cluster for track, verified. Backing, shove the clutch in pop the peddle it talks. I would guess if this on the fly adjustment is constantly happening. The valve would really need to be fast acting to compensate.

Also before moving the car physically checked, rpms @ idle. The butterfly position and observed full open.

Calibration, if there is that, it would only be as the throttle body is, home position. And most likely automatic @ power on every time.

Staying tuned thread is interesting.

Pep
Sponsored