Sponsored

Possible first track day-questions

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I’m thinking of signing up for my first track day (at willow springs via extreme speed events- if anyone has feedback on them, that’d be awesome!), and have some questions

-how many laps can I expect for a day at the track?

-gas, is a full tank enough for the day? Should I bring gas cans?

-I’m running oem cup sport 2’s with 2800 street driven miles on them, will I need to replace after the track day?

-brakes- brakes have 2800 miles on them, will I need to replace brake pads after the track day?

oil- assuming change oil after the track day?
Sponsored

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
It depends on your track. It is usually 20 minutes a session and 4 sessions in a day. YMMY.

Again, it depends on your track but you should expect to run out of gas before the end of the day. Some tracks there are a gas station nearby or at the site. Usually it's much more expensive on the site. You're better off bringing your own or driving to a nearby station in between your sessions.

You shouldn't need to replace your tires after one day and at that low mileage but cup sport 2 tends to toast sooner than later. Keep an eye on them.

Your brakes should be fine at that low mileage.

Oil change, it is up to you but it's a good practice to change after the track.

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
It depends on your track. It is usually 20 minutes a session and 4 sessions in a day. YMMY.

Again, it depends on your track but you should expect to run out of gas before the end of the day. Some tracks there are a gas station nearby or at the site. Usually it's much more expensive on the site. You're better off bringing your own or driving to a nearby station in between your sessions.

You shouldn't need to replace your tires after one day and at that low mileage but cup sport 2 tends to toast sooner than later. Keep an eye on them.

Your brakes should be fine at that low mileage.

Oil change, it is up to you but it's a good practice to change after the track.
Thanks! All good info

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Howdy!

I'm an instructor with my local track group here in TX. Happy to answer questions. I have a few for you as well (to help refine our recommendations). What's your previous experience on track? How performance driving in general? Please post a picture of your Cup2s.

1. As @BoomBoy mentioned, it'll depend on the group, track, etc. My org typically does 25 min sessions 5 times a day at COTA, but I've done up to 7 sessions a day at 20 mins each. I'd be prepared for 2-2.5 hours of track time.
  2. You'll most definitely need to refill the tank at least once. A hard driven car will burn half a tank in one session, but novice drivers typically get 2-3 before needing to refill. Recommend never going out on track with less than half a tank.
  3. Brakes could absolutely need to be replaced. It'll depend on how much you use them. I'd inspect throughout the day to keep track. If you see the wear indicators touch on any of the wheels, call it a day.
  4. I would change the oil. Ford recommends an oil change after every track event.
Welcome to the addiction!

2019-12-14_EA_COTA_RP_9946.jpg
2019-12-14_EA_COTA_RP_1243.jpg

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Howdy!

I'm an instructor with my local track group here in TX. Happy to answer questions. I have a few for you as well (to help refine our recommendations). What's your previous experience on track? How performance driving in general? Please post a picture of your Cup2s.

1. As @BoomBoy mentioned, it'll depend on the group, track, etc. My org typically does 25 min sessions 5 times a day at COTA, but I've done up to 7 sessions a day at 20 mins each. I'd be prepared for 2-2.5 hours of track time.
  2. You'll most definitely need to refill the tank at least once. A hard driven car will burn half a tank in one session, but novice drivers typically get 2-3 before needing to refill. Recommend never going out on track with less than half a tank.
  3. Brakes could absolutely need to be replaced. It'll depend on how much you use them. I'd inspect throughout the day to keep track. If you see the wear indicators touch on any of the wheels, call it a day.
  4. I would change the oil. Ford recommends an oil change after every track event.
Welcome to the addiction!

2019-12-14_EA_COTA_RP_9946.jpg
2019-12-14_EA_COTA_RP_1243.jpg
Thanks HB!

Am I allowed to bring gas cans, if I have no trailer or anything? I plan on driving there the morning of the event (100 mile drive there), gassing up before entering the track off the freeway

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks HB!

Am I allowed to bring gas cans, if I have no trailer or anything? I plan on driving there the morning of the event (100 mile drive there), gassing up before entering the track off the freeway
I've never heard of not being able to bring cans, but I personally wouldn't want cans in the car with me. Especially at the volume needed to keep a thirsty V8 full. I think there are a couple gas stations nearby, so I'd probably just run to those in between sessions.

5.4dreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 gt500
Thanks HB!

There is a gas station like 5 miles ir so from the track. The track has 100 octane which I would recommend if pushing the car instead of our crap 91.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Change your oil BEFORE the track day not after.... that is a common mistake. Of course it depends on how old it is. I will track mine with about 200 miles on the oil change, less than a month. But I would change it before the track day if oil is 3000 miles old, close to a year or so.

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
I’m thinking of signing up for my first track day (at willow springs via extreme speed events- if anyone has feedback on them, that’d be awesome!), and have some questions

-how many laps can I expect for a day at the track?

-gas, is a full tank enough for the day? Should I bring gas cans?

-I’m running oem cup sport 2’s with 2800 street driven miles on them, will I need to replace after the track day?

-brakes- brakes have 2800 miles on them, will I need to replace brake pads after the track day?

oil- assuming change oil after the track day?
I haven't attended extreme speed but can answer your other questions since I've been out to willow springs in my 350.
  • Gas - A full tank is not enough. I can generally make it through about 2.5 sessions on close to a full tank. Willow does have a gas station but be prepared to pay 2-3x normal rates
  • Tires - It depends on how hard you drive. I've gotten 2 sessions and about 7k miles out of my sport cup 2's last year. I'd just make sure to get tread depth indicator to check your thread. Usually the track day folks have a certain amount of tread you need to have on your tires posted on their site.
  • Brakes - you should be fine if this is your first track day. I still have a decent amount of pad left and I've gone to 2 track days and have 13k miles.
  • Oil - I always change my oil as soon as I can once the track day is over and also make sure I haven't gone too long without one prior.
Also make sure you wear some good shoes (not bulky or thick soles) and get some gloves. It'll help you a ton.

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I haven't attended extreme speed but can answer your other questions since I've been out to willow springs in my 350.
  • Gas - A full tank is not enough. I can generally make it through about 2.5 sessions on close to a full tank. Willow does have a gas station but be prepared to pay 2-3x normal rates
  • Tires - It depends on how hard you drive. I've gotten 2 sessions and about 7k miles out of my sport cup 2's last year. I'd just make sure to get tread depth indicator to check your thread. Usually the track day folks have a certain amount of tread you need to have on your tires posted on their site.
  • Brakes - you should be fine if this is your first track day. I still have a decent amount of pad left and I've gone to 2 track days and have 13k miles.
  • Oil - I always change my oil as soon as I can once the track day is over and also make sure I haven't gone too long without one prior.
Also make sure you wear some good shoes (not bulky or thick soles) and get some gloves. It'll help you a ton.
Who did you use for your willow springs outting?

I mapped it, looks like theres a station right down the road. Are you allowed to leave and come back?

Sponsored

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
Who did you use for your willow springs outting?

I mapped it, looks like theres a station right down the road. Are you allowed to leave and come back?
I did it with speed ventures. I've also used them for Buttonwillow. Great group.

You can leave, the only thing I'd check in with is if Williow Springs will charge you again to come back in. I'm not sure if they allow in/outs with your fee.

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I am also wanting to do my first track day, where in Ca are you? I am in the high desert, apple valley. Maybe we can so the same day.
Also thinking about Auto club speedway, anyone have feed back on that one?
Thanks

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I did it with speed ventures. I've also used them for Buttonwillow. Great group.

You can leave, the only thing I'd check in with is if Williow Springs will charge you again to come back in. I'm not sure if they allow in/outs with your fee.
Thanks for the heads up about checking in and outs. I will check out speed ventures as well! Do they offer instructors for the day to ride with you?

I am also wanting to do my first track day, where in Ca are you? I am in the high desert, apple valley. Maybe we can so the same day.
Also thinking about Auto club speedway, anyone have feed back on that one?
Thanks
I am in the Santa Monica area

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
Thanks for the heads up about checking in and outs. I will check out speed ventures as well! Do they offer instructors for the day to ride with you?

I am in the Santa Monica area
they do! I want to say it’s about $100 or so? Not 100% sure but you’ll be able to see it when you go to sign up and get to the further stages of the process.

glad I could help!

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Awesome man! I signed up for my first HPDE this month with the Shelby and it’ll be my first one in like 15 years. I’m excited!
Sponsored