Sponsored

Magneride How to Tell

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ha...I'm with you lev 21...I don't feel much of a difference. Quite honestly, not knowing if magneride was working is what drove me to figure out the "shock" icon display via digital dash...to see if magneride was in the correct driving mode. Apparently it is. What makes me believe its working is there are no error codes (DTCs) associated with magneride when I use forescan. If it wasn't, I'd suspect I'd see a few DTCs and even an indication via the digital dash.

Gixxer...did you have the magneride "shock" indicator on your digital dash? If not, did you try the fix above? I want to hear from someone outside of myself that it worked for...
Sponsored

leviathan21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I don’t think bouncing by hand would give much of a different feel. I can definitely feel a difference from normal mode and track mode.
I did the same test on my 2016 Corvette, and it changed the rebound a little where it was noticeably stiffer when the modes changed.

Maybe the Mustang doesn't have as drastic a change between modes, but there should be SOME slight change... even at a stop right?

In Track Mode the ride should be much stiffer making the car more rigid and less forgiving over bumps? I'm not noticing any chance at all. I live in Sacramento CA, so our roads vary from new to really really terrible.. and on the terrible roads I've driven back and fourth on them in Track and Normal, and don't notice any difference in how the car handles the bumps. (Makes me wonder if my Window Sticker is lying to me!)

Perhaps I'm just not "sensitive" enough to the ride changes, but you'd think that for the money and hype these shocks have there would be 'Some' noticeable change? (Like I said, i could certainly tell the difference on my 2016 Corvette).

I guess I'll see what Ford has to say about it when I take it in to them on Tuesday...

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I specifically wanted a MagneRide car because I loved the suspension on my last Corvette.
Ford's Magneride is half-assed by comparison and rather subtle. GM's (corvette/camaro) have at least 3 readily discernible modes (normal, sport, track) - I personally haven't spent any time in rain or drag to see what the difference might be.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I did the same test on my 2016 Corvette, and it changed the rebound a little where it was noticeably stiffer when the modes changed.

Maybe the Mustang doesn't have as drastic a change between modes, but there should be SOME slight change... even at a stop right?

In Track Mode the ride should be much stiffer making the car more rigid and less forgiving over bumps? I'm not noticing any chance at all. I live in Sacramento CA, so our roads vary from new to really really terrible.. and on the terrible roads I've driven back and fourth on them in Track and Normal, and don't notice any difference in how the car handles the bumps. (Makes me wonder if my Window Sticker is lying to me!)

Perhaps I'm just not "sensitive" enough to the ride changes, but you'd think that for the money and hype these shocks have there would be 'Some' noticeable change? (Like I said, i could certainly tell the difference on my 2016 Corvette).

I guess I'll see what Ford has to say about it when I take it in to them on Tuesday...
I have a good friend with a 18 SS 1LE I’ll ask him if he notices a difference while sitting there. I can say driving his car in different modes it’s way more noticeable between them, especially the steering between track and comfort. The Mustangs I don’t notice anything. But again, I personally I notice a big difference driving mine in track and normal. The whole car stiffens up and moves around way way more, not bouncy but much stiffer.

Gixxer...did you have the magneride "shock" indicator on your digital dash? If not, did you try the fix above? I want to hear from someone outside of myself that it worked for...
I do not have the shock indicator, I haven’t tried it yet. I guess I can try today, but I can feel the difference so I know for sure mine is working, even my fiancé knows when it’s in track or normal when riding to my friends over the mile and a half bumpy road.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Ford's Magneride is half-assed by comparison and rather subtle. GM's (corvette/camaro) have at least 3 readily discernible modes (normal, sport, track)
All MagneRide suspensions have only TWO modes (the difference from sport to track might be the steering). That's by design. I also had a Vette with MR, and the difference was definitely more pronounced than this car. On my brother's 2 Ferraris, it was more subtle, like the Mustang. As somebody already mentioned, if there was an issue, you'd have a dash light already. Or at least some 'soft' codes. Having said that, the best way to try it is on a crappy road; I bet you'd immediately notice the difference there :).

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
All MagneRide suspensions have only TWO modes
maybe it's confirmation bias but I can distinctly tell there are 3 levels. On the ZL1s I've driven 3 modes were also distinctly detectable and their baseline firmness was also higher than the SS/1LE - ie ZL1 normal was at least SS/1LE's sport and ZL1 sport was no less firm than SS/!LE track if not actually a bit more. It would not surprise me that Ford only implemented 2 levels. Do you have a dump of the mapping tables to prove there are only 2 modes? And is that a recent (2019+) dump or is your data from 2014-2017 vintage?

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I just tried to rewrite the ipc, but for what ever reasons I couldn’t read it. Module never came up on my forscan. I adjusted some BCM Things I’ve been meaning to, but IPC wasn’t there.
50A59D4B-11AD-428E-93BB-4573387A2EC7.jpeg

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I could read, save, and change the IPC, but couldn't write any changes. It kept throwing 'interruption' errors, so gave up. The other changes were successfully written on ACM (fake engine noise), APIM (heat/cool seats on home screen), and BCM (fog lights as cornering lights, bambi mod, panic alarm with double press, and double honk disable). Somebody else said it's the later versions of FORScan; to install an older one, but need to know which version. And how; don't remember having the option of an older version.

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That's interesting that neither one of you could make changes to the IPC. I have no issues. My Forscan version is 2.3.32 if that helps?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Also read FORScan fixed the issues on the latest versions, so before going back to a previous one, I'm just updating it to the newest (33), and see what happens :). Thank you. By the way, does anybody know how to disable the rear sequential turn-signals on FORScan? They're illegal in much of Europe, so it should be an easy change somewhere. Thx.

Sponsored

JRedondox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Also read FORScan fixed the issues on the latest versions, so before going back to a previous one, I'm just updating it to the newest (33), and see what happens :). Thank you. By the way, does anybody know how to disable the rear sequential turn-signals on FORScan? They're illegal in much of Europe, so it should be an easy change somewhere. Thx.

Got a dumb question! how do you guys change the shock mode? is it through driving mode?

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Cody5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Performance Pack
Ford's Magneride is half-assed by comparison and rather subtle. GM's (corvette/camaro) have at least 3 readily discernible modes (normal, sport, track) - I personally haven't spent any time in rain or drag to see what the difference might be.
Not sure what you view as half assed. All drive modes have very pronounced characteristics.

My only complaint was that track mode was still too soft on my PP2. I actually prefer the standard suspension feel as the magne-ride did too much.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
How do you guys change the shock mode? is it through driving mode?
Unfortunately, yes. You can only change it with the drive modes. The manual doesn't say, but it's like this:
Wet/snow- normal
Normal- normal
Sport+- sport
Track- sport
Drag- sport

You can change some things within driving modes, but there are restrictions. For example, you cannot select comfort steering on sport mode. You also can't select track exhaust in normal mode; it changes MR to sport (felt it immediately), so it must have changed the driving mode to sport+ or track (probably the latter). So just play with them, and store it in MyMode. Hope this helps.
Sponsored