2018 Stock PP1 A10 vs 620hp RS3

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Obvious outcome here, but I got video of it so thought I’d share! It was one of my worst runs of the day and the last run of the day for me. DA was around 2900 by this time. Skipped the water box, ran it in track mode (drag mode was spinning violently in 2nd, chirping 3rd and 4th). Times we ran are in the description of the video. Guy was super nice, said this is just his track car and not a DD. Enjoy!

Sponsored

OP
OP
carpenj

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Did you spin the tires over a couple of times after the water box?
I went around it on this run. I did find better luck doing the water box with a quick spin, but it was a test-and-tune day so I used my 10+ runs to try and find what worked best. The violent wheel hop happened in drag mode regardless of which procedure I used. Ran it in drag strip mode with TC on one time, and it just refused to even shift into 3rd until I completely let off.

Another 12.7, if memory serves, below. My fastest runs were in track mode with TC off, 12.51-12.53 with DAs closer to 2500.

OP
OP
carpenj

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Yeah that is some pretty bad hop. Not much can be done for that stock if track prep isn’t that great.

I have had pretty good success skipping the water box and spinning the tires over for about a second and a half. Also can take the tire pressure down pretty low if you bring a pump. The low tire will take some of the amplitude out of the hop.

Tune and a tire and you would be mid 11s. It’s just money man.
Yeah I ran them at 27psi hot most of the day. I need to do some research on how much drag radials increase the likelihood of breakage, because it's extremely tempting.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
What? Drag radials increase hop? Not in my experience. I have an 18 with a blower and my wheel hop went away with drag radials.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Not much. Stock power won’t break unless their defective. Remember though as soon as you by drag radials you will have to get a tune. At that point you will get some hop back and would need a Steeda stop the hop kit. You will then be at the power and grip level to break an axle. A trans break program would assure you broke it. So you will have to get a GT350 drivers side axle and you would be good.

You would be low 11s at that point. Go for it.
A tune is worth 10-12 rwhp. That's not a game changer, nor a low 11 sec car. And, why do you say he would have to get a tune if he switched to drag radials? Different diameter doesn't matter if you're only using them on the strip. Otherwise, he could buy as close to stock as possible so the speedo isn't off.

OP
OP
carpenj

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
A tune is worth 10-12 rwhp. That's not a game changer, nor a low 11 sec car. And, why do you say he would have to get a tune if he switched to drag radials? Different diameter doesn't matter if you're only using them on the strip. Otherwise, he could buy as close to stock as possible so the speedo isn't off.
An E85 tune on a 2018 Coyote is only worth 10-12whp? Pretty much everyone seems to agree it's the best bang for your buck single mod for these cars without going FI.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
An E85 tune on a 2018 Coyote is only worth 10-12whp? Pretty much everyone seems to agree it's the best bang for your buck single mod for these cars without going FI.
No, a gasoline (i.e. 93 octane) tune isn't worth much (10-12 rwhp) on a mostly stock car - good for a 0.1 sec improvement in the 1/4 mile, +/-. The post I quoted said nothing about E85 so I assumed a gasoline tune, which are more common since E85 isn't readily available in many places. E85 is 25+ rwhp on an otherwise stock car, and maybe more.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
Your a tune and tires away from making it a drivers race.
You're kidding, right? Did you not see that Audi pull away?? I didn't see the time it ran, but the Audi is probably capable of breaking into the 10s and trapping upper 120s+. Tune and tires isn't going to get anywhere near a drivers race.

No, a gasoline (i.e. 93 octane) tune isn't worth much (10-12 rwhp) on a mostly stock car - good for a 0.1 sec improvement in the 1/4 mile, +/-. The post I quoted said nothing about E85 so I assumed a gasoline tune, which are more common since E85 isn't readily available in many places. E85 is 25+ rwhp on an otherwise stock car, and maybe more.
Agree completely and 25 WHP isn't going to gain 10 mph in trap speed!

Sponsored

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I have a buddy with a modded RS3 similar to the one in the video. The car has run consistent 10.7 - 10.9 ETs at 127 - 130 mph every time so far this year in bad DA. Better conditions in the Fall, and his car can run a 10.6 ET.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I didn't know about the RS3 until I read this thread. I think I see my next sedan... time to sell the 335i.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't know about the RS3 until I read this thread. I think I see my next sedan... time to sell the 335i.
It was very heavily modified. Stock the RS3 is a 12 second car.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
They run low 12's and run 10's with like 3 or 4 mods. They're very impressive cars.
One of those mods is $7k by itself. Not the best bang for your buck. I had an A5. Last thing you want to do is buy an expensive Audi and mod the shit out of it unless you just have money to burn. No one will touch them, not even VW, if there is a problem. I couldn't even get my oil change light reset at a VW dealer. Then when I modded it, it burned oil like a mofo. Not the best car make to mod.
Sponsored