Crooked Exhaust After H-Pipe Install

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
I had an H-pipe put on yesterday and just noticed this afternoon that the exhaust hangs very uneven now. What would you guys do here, take it back to the same shop and ask them to fix it for free? I wouldn't mind doing it myself and getting it perfect if there's a way to, but I don't have an easy way to get under the car.

upload_2020-5-28_22-3-43.jpeg
Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
2 things. They either cut the left pipe too long, or they don't have the OEM muffler pipe and the H-pipe properly mated into the exhaust sleeve clamp (the pipes should pretty much be touching before it's cranked down). I'm going with #1.

If it is #1 (others can chime in here with their opinions before you do anything):
  • Measure the difference and figure out how much you need to tuck it in, eyeball looks like 1.5-2 inches?
  • Jack up the back end
  • Undo the sleeve clamp that holds the OEM pipe to the H-pipe and slide it off. This will confirm 1 of the original theories above.
  • If it's a mating issue, get them together and re-tighten the clamp.
  • If it's not, take off the OEM pipe (you'll likely need to loosen or remove the middle hanger closest to the clamp)
  • Cut off what you measured.
  • Reassemble.
They should fix it for free. Hell, any jamoke working a shop should have looked at that and fixed it then. At a shop with a lift and good tools it's like 15 minutes tops.

OP
OP
carpenj

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Yeah I went local because I always try to support small businesses, and the place had very good reviews. Maybe they just had a bad day. I'll give them a call in the morning and see when they can get it back in.

Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible / Velocity Blue / A10
The H pipe comes out straight on one side, and slightly bent on the other side (passenger side I believe). If they put it on upside down, it will cause the exhaust to be uneven, and it can only be corrected by flipping the H pipe over. Might be something to look at.
No matter what the cause, you paid them to do it, take it back and make them correct their mistake.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
They probably didnt notice it. Im betting they put it on while it was on a lift so they had to look at it from the rear to make sure it was level but couldnt see what you are seeing. I do my own work and am very particular. I took my whole exhaust off. Laid H pipe onto exhaust and marked it. Cut it. And had the same results as you do. It took putting it on and off a couple of times to get it perfect. Most shops arent going to do that amount of work for a $100 install to be honest

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I went local because I always try to support small businesses, and the place had very good reviews. Maybe they just had a bad day. I'll give them a call in the morning and see when they can get it back in.

Sloppy work, hope it has not been welded H, X pipe is a very simple install, only 2 possible screws ups. As mention there is a top and bottom side, however that only affects the ground clearance, of both pipes.

The other, if they did not measure the cutoff length. That is spelled out in the directions......... need I say more ?

For the muffler and tail pipe assembly. Welded on the back end of the resonator correctly. .......... white line first picture

And that looks like what you've got going on there. The tail pipe tips will be sticking out unevenly.

Could have a bit of a mess on your hands. Suggest to stay with the car and have a look for yourself when it's up in the air. You have the right to know what has been FKed up.
Precisely why I do my own work .

I bet the rear drivers side is jammed into the hanger of the muffler and tail pipe assembly

Hope things turn out well

good luck

DSC_0036.jpg
DSC_0044.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 7.04.57 AM.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
carpenj

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
They got it squared away after cutting a little bit more pipe on the one side and reinstalling. I did specify I wanted it clamped on, fortunately. I appreciate them getting it perfect for me, though it may have kept me from going back in the future (likely for as GT350 half shaft next time).

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Time to invest in a jack and jack stands for future mods

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
They got it squared away after cutting a little bit more pipe on the one side and reinstalling. I did specify I wanted it clamped on, fortunately. I appreciate them getting it perfect for me, though it may have kept me from going back in the future (likely for as GT350 half shaft next time).

Good to read, got a trim all is well .. clamp is the way it goes to gather. It really should not have been missed. Not rocket science, a little self pride in ones work would have prevented that goof.

It is not just them, it's every where, what is good, now have them or should have them in your cross hairs .... As in inspecting all work before you roll down the road.

Good luck to you

Pep