Sponsored

Anyone else notice... (in regards to wheel hop)

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I see wheel hop pop up quite a bit and how had it is on the s550 and also how people don't have it.

I was one of the "don't." If I spun my tires that was it. I didn't get any hopping. However, I recently had traction control on (I usually keep advanced traction control off because, assuming warm tires, the car grips real well) and got on it. The back end kicked a little bit and I felt what seemed to be some nasty wheel hop. This wasn't the first time I noticed it but I never really put two and two together.

So, at least for me, it seems advanced traction control off = no wheel hop. Traction control on = wheel hop.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Well Ford made some changes to the rear suspension on the 18+ cars to help with wheel hop, so theres that.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Well Ford made some changes to the rear suspension on the 18+ cars to help with wheel hop, so theres that.
I wasn't aware. But I'm still curious why traction control would cause wheel hop. I dug up an old gt500 thread where they also were saying turning it off helps with wheel hop. I have some sort of idea that I can visualize with the brakes causing a rapid shift in wheel speed and traction that promotes wheel spin, but it's hard to correctly articulate.

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Velocity Mustang GT, 2017 Lexus GX460
Vehicle Showcase
You have the IRS bracing on?
I have em and it seems to put down power down better than b4, but since most of the time my EB can spin its tires, I can't give more opinion on that, but the car FEELS better at putting down power...

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
By turning traction control off, you mean holding the toggle up for 5 or so seconds to completely disable it? If so, I haven't done that yet. And I haven't experienced any wheel hop yet. I haven't been to the drag strip either. I guess it depends on the road conditions as well (uneven, bumpy). I don't have any suspension/performance mods yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
You have the IRS bracing on?
I have em and it seems to put down power down better than b4, but since most of the time my EB can spin its tires, I can't give more opinion on that, but the car FEELS better at putting down power...
I'm actually not sure. I didn't think the pp1 came with any additional bracing for the rear IRS. My car is a bone stock pp1 apart from the power pack.

By turning traction control off, you mean holding the toggle up for 5 or so seconds to completely disable it? If so, I haven't done that yet. And I haven't experienced any wheel hop yet. I haven't been to the drag strip either. I guess it depends on the road conditions as well (uneven, bumpy). I don't have any suspension/performance mods yet.
Yup, that's exactly what I'm referring to. I also don't have any suspension mods. The car feels so much peppier with it turned off so I do so almost religiously.

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe try out the Steeda IRS subframe bracing.
S550's rear end flexes too much, at least for base EB. Turn in to the drive way you can just hear the squeaking from behind...
The bracing fix that for sure

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Maybe try out the Steeda IRS subframe bracing.
S550's rear end flexes too much, at least for base EB. Turn in to the drive way you can just hear the squeaking from behind...
The bracing fix that for sure
I wasn't necessarily asking for a fix, though I appreciate any advice. I find the wheelspin very manageable and predict with traction control off. I was just curious if others noticed they no longer had wheel hop with adv trac off.

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Em, I see. Mine don't even have the option (I think) lol

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
depends on the surface and how hard you are spinning, and also tires etc. Usually the stickier the tire and surface the worse the wheel hop is if you do spin.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I don't think it's wheelhop you are experiencing as much as you are feeling the TCS/ESC kicking in - cutting throttle and applying brakes as necessary.
But it could be wheelhop is induced when the system kicks in sharply.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Here ...

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Wheel hop can be more pronounced on a prepped drag strip track. The BMR lockout kit really helps there and also in just nailing it from a stop as it helps the tires dig in.
Sponsored