Vert Top Damaged

Rippermac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP A10
After many months of top down driving...a few days ago noticed an unfamiliar rattle/squeak with the top up windows closed just over my left shoulder. Annoying rattle/squeak was even more prevalent top down and no music to mask the sounds as I typically do. Further investigation and I discovered what's seen in the pics. The flap with the teflon/plastic rub area folds over and is trapped 4 out of 5 times when I drop the top. Didn't notice prior to removing from hibernation this spring. Straps and edge damage is evident. Dealership agrees there is a problem and have no idea why it's doing what its doing.They have agreed to escalate for top replacement under warranty. I am absolutely terrified having a dealer certified shop replacing it after hearing some of the horror stories but it is what it is. At least I get to keep the car until parts come in, just have to stop the top half way down and make sure the flap is in its correct position each time. Will update as this process with local dealership continues.
Sponsored

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
These **** straps man, seems like such a reoccurring problem. I have a slight amount of fraying damage on the same spot, just wrapped some gorilla tape over it for now. Not worth losing my car for a month while they replace the whole top.

OP
OP
Rippermac

Rippermac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
These **** straps man, seems like such a reoccurring problem. I have a slight amount of fraying damage on the same spot, just wrapped some gorilla tape over it for now. Not worth losing my car for a month while they replace the whole top.
Hope it's not a month..top should be here next week then I'll schedule for the install.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Had my top replaced by ford under warranty, they farmed it out to a local shop, took them a month to get my car back to me. Since mine is not my daily, it was no big deal. I took it in mid November when I would be putting it in storage anyway.

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
They replace my inner roof for the exact same thing in one day. When i take it back it was cold (canadian winter), in my garage i open the top and hear the same sound as you describe. Bring it back and said wait until weather will be hot .... and now the same tears appears. Why since 1965 ford isn t able to build a good soft roof ? In my 2016 mustang my whole roof needed to be changed for anormal wears

Sponsored

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
Hopefully your dealer has some investment in their reputation for service. I had a problem with part of the top coming apart on my '13 after a few months of driving which required a complete replacement. As in your case, the dealer was quick to escalate it and then had it repaired locally within a few days. No further problems for the six years I owned the car.

I have no way of knowing how good or bad dealers are across the board; mine has always been great on service. It's reasonable to expect, I guess, that folks who are dissatisfied will post as a warning and out of frustration more frequently than drivers who routinely get good service.

OP
OP
Rippermac

Rippermac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
And I'm hoping that's the case with my car. Still waiting on the top delivery.. and I'll go from there.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Looks like straps might be to tight. Either way I wouldn’t try to replace the whole top just for that. I think those straps go all the way back to the trunk. If you look inside the trunk on the upper left and right side see if the buckle is flat against the metal. I remember awhile back someone posted that theirs wasn’t and mine wasn’t either which may make it to tight and wearing as yours is. It’s just a theory. I attached pics of mine and it’s 3.5 yrs old with no issues.
1F0F715A-7333-4270-83E0-363615224031.jpeg
8077D324-6243-482B-AF4D-7600A5221626.jpeg
75288F69-8F71-4908-9161-FF3492433D02.jpeg

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
Yours also has a plastic strip protecting the strap from the metal arms of the roof.

OP
OP
Rippermac

Rippermac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
I'll let Ford make the decision under warranty ..if they want to pay to replace the whole thing that's there call..if out of warranty then I'd definitely pursue other options that wouldn't affect my wallet.

Reactions: DRB

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Looks like straps might be to tight. Either way I wouldn’t try to replace the whole top just for that. I think those straps go all the way back to the trunk. If you look inside the trunk on the upper left and right side see if the buckle is flat against the metal. I remember awhile back someone posted that theirs wasn’t and mine wasn’t either which may make it to tight and wearing as yours is. It’s just a theory. I attached pics of mine and it’s 3.5 yrs old with no issues.
1F0F715A-7333-4270-83E0-363615224031.jpeg
8077D324-6243-482B-AF4D-7600A5221626.jpeg
75288F69-8F71-4908-9161-FF3492433D02.jpeg
the straps in the trunk are the top tension straps and go over the top bows. Not the same straps connected to the headliner as shown in your pictures of the interior.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
the straps in the trunk are the top tension straps and go over the top bows. Not the same straps connected to the headliner as shown in your pictures of the interior.
Ok thanks I couldn’t really tell looking in there.

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
They are going to repair it again just few month after first repair. They said they are going to put a special part to covert the wornnpart and between those two sides a a kind of teniser to avoid the pinching
Sponsored