BORLA ATAK - disappointing fit and finish

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi

I have just uploaded a video of my install.
From what I have understood, read etc BORLA is to be top notch in both sound and fit and finish.
With regards to the fit and finish I am quite disappointed considering the price for the system.

The welding done on the system seems to have been done by a intern in some place, there are weld sparks in many places. Amongst others there was a weld spark on one of the bolts that is to be used to attach the motor to the muffler for the active exhaust.

Also one of the brackets were bent there there motor for the left side is to be mounted.

The tube coming from the left muffler fast flattened out a bit so it was not possible to mount it on the pipe assembly coming from the X-pipe.

I have reached out to Borla almost a month ago both to Borla US and Europe but no reponse at all.

Are your Borla systems looking the same?

here are some pictures. I have also linked to my video.
20190802_103256.jpg
20190802_103332.jpg
20190802_222507.jpg
20190802_222539.jpg
20190802_222621.jpg

Sponsored

Ontheedge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019 K6383
To bad about the finish. My borla that i had on my 2016 gt all looked the same, weld splatters and the hanger for the right rear muffler i had to bend for it to fit nice. The quality control aint up to where it should be.
But the sound whas an eargasm expirience.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
With regards to the fit and finish I am quite disappointed considering the price for the system
This is very typical of North American aftermarket mass produced systems.

I’ll take it Milltek Sport didn’t interest you ?
Milltek is of better quality but there’s still always minor issues.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Wow that’s brutal I’d be pissed. These kits aren’t cheap. Luckily my 17 S-Type catback and Borla resonator was perfect. The muffler hangers did need a little tweaking and still aren’t perfect but that’s normal.

OP
OP
Mazman

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the delayed answer.
Indeed is it really disappointing.

However Borla has reached out to me after seeing the video.
I'll let you know how it goes, however they have also concluded based on the video that the welds, bracket etc is not on par with what it should be.

//M

To bad about the finish. My borla that i had on my 2016 gt all looked the same, weld splatters and the hanger for the right rear muffler i had to bend for it to fit nice. The quality control aint up to where it should be.
But the sound whas an eargasm expirience.
This is very typical of North American aftermarket mass produced systems.

I’ll take it Milltek Sport didn’t interest you ?
Milltek is of better quality but there’s still always minor issues.
Wow that’s brutal I’d be pissed. These kits aren’t cheap. Luckily my 17 S-Type catback and Borla resonator was perfect. The muffler hangers did need a little tweaking and still aren’t perfect but that’s normal.

Sponsored

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the delayed answer.
Indeed is it really disappointing.

However Borla has reached out to me after seeing the video.
I'll let you know how it goes, however they have also concluded based on the video that the welds, bracket etc is not on par with what it should be.

//M
I have an AWE cat back on my car and the quality of materials as well as fit and finish is top notch stuff.

As mentioned above, definitely disappointing when you consider how much these exhausts cost. I’m glad they reached out and are willing help out

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I put a Borla ATAK system on my 2018 F-150 with the 5.0L. Sounded great, but the quality was......below par.

Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang gt
Hi

I have just uploaded a video of my install.
From what I have understood, read etc BORLA is to be top notch in both sound and fit and finish.
With regards to the fit and finish I am quite disappointed considering the price for the system.

The welding done on the system seems to have been done by a intern in some place, there are weld sparks in many places. Amongst others there was a weld spark on one of the bolts that is to be used to attach the motor to the muffler for the active exhaust.

Also one of the brackets were bent there there motor for the left side is to be mounted.

The tube coming from the left muffler fast flattened out a bit so it was not possible to mount it on the pipe assembly coming from the X-pipe.

I have reached out to Borla almost a month ago both to Borla US and Europe but no reponse at all.

Are your Borla systems looking the same?

here are some pictures. I have also linked to my video.
20190802_103256.jpg
20190802_103332.jpg
20190802_222507.jpg
20190802_222539.jpg
20190802_222621.jpg

I just got my Borla ataks installed and the valves wont stay open in track mode,well any mode...

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
And you guys laughed at me for building my own shit.. least I know the quality is there cause I did it. Haha. No need to spend 1000's for 'that sound'.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I was gonna say, contact Borla, they have great support and warranty
He did contact Borla US and Europe. No response for over a month now. So much for great support.

OP
OP
Mazman

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
He did contact Borla US and Europe. No response for over a month now. So much for great support.
They did eventually reach out to me once they saw the video. But that should not be needed.

Borla in Europe has not replied anyting back yet and it's been some time now :D (does not matter that much as I don't have the car any longer)

OP
OP
Mazman

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I believe it was you who I answered on the comments section in the video

Make sure all connections are correct and also that no wires have melted.
Once that is done you need to check that the spring is sitting correctly between the actuator and the valve

It is a nightmare to get the spring seated correctly when doing it on the OEM muffler as the housing is closed where the valve sits upposed to e.g Borla or Corsa where you can actually more easily see if the spring is sitting correctly or not

I just got my Borla ataks installed and the valves wont stay open in track mode,well any mode...
Sponsored