Sponsored

Should I be worried about previous abuse? (MY19 GT)

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
So, I've just purchased a 2019 GT from an auction house (not yet picked up), and the safety inspection advised that the car needs two new front tyres due to the side wall condition. Tread depth is around 2mm (0.078"). Here's the thing, the car has only 13,000km (8000 miles) on it.

Given that these tyres usually last a LOT longer than this, is there anything else I should be paying particular attention to for excessive wear and tear? This scenario would suggest to me that the car has had a hard life so far. I did pick it up for between $10k - $15k under what similar cars are asking, so I still think it was a good buy (time will tell of course).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Don72
Brisbane, Australia
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's pretty easy to roast the tires on these cars, even a few burnouts will toast them pretty quick. I wouldn't classify the occasional burnout as abuse, to be honest. They give you factory line lock for a reason, lol. The previous owner may have done a rotation to try to make them last a little bit longer, but if the car is PP with a staggered setup then that's pretty strange the fronts are toast and not the rear.

OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
But it was the front side walls that failed the inspection (even though the tread is low). This would suggest more track work I would have thought? Also how can you rotate tyres of different sizes? Front's are 255 and rears are 275.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
But it was the front side walls that failed the inspection (even though the tread is low). This would suggest more track work I would have thought? Also how can you rotate tyres of different sizes? Front's are 255 and rears are 275.
That's what I meant by staggered setup which I figured was the case. Only the base models have a square setup where you can do rotations. How did the side walls fail inspection? Even if the car was tracked or autocrossed more than a few times I wouldn't be too concerned if you're saving that much money. See how it drives and what the cosmetic condition (paint and interior) is and go off that to see how it was treated.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I understand the tread depth, but how can the sidewall fail the inspection? The sidewall doesn't wear out. The only thing I can think of that could cause the sidewall to fail the inspection is that it may have one or more bulges, as a result of hitting a pothole or a kerb at high(ish) speed. If that's the case, then the tires must be replaced as soon as possible, but it isn't necessarily a sign of abuse. I take extreme care of my cars, and yet I've had my share of low-profile tires ruined by potholes.

Sponsored

Lgb0250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium, 22 Lexus 450h Luxury
Mine had 10K on it when I bought it used from a dealer friend who had bought it from an auction. Had brand new tires on it! Didn’t concern me for two reasons. 1. These are made to be driven. 2. Has plenty of factory warranty left to pick up any problems if needed.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Ive heard a few bad stories about used cars and finding that something catastrophic lands them in the dealer service shop only to find out the car has been tuned and the powertrain warranty is void. Front tire wear is probably just alignment.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
It doesn't take much to damage the sidewall of a 19" or 20" tire. I'd check the wheels, too.

Sponsored
OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all your feedback guys. It's making me feel a bit better about the car. I don't believe it has had a tune at all, and there are some scrapes on the rims, so hopefully that is the reason for the sidewall damage. The car comes with a 5 year warranty as well from factory, so I still have 4 years left :thumbsup:

Getting some replacement tyres shipped now and they said 2 - 3 days until she's ready to be picked up. Hopefully my excitement at owning my first Mustang will be fulfilled :muscle:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Only the base models have a square setup.
At least in the US, that’s not the case. PP2s also have a square setup (305s), and the black and CA packages too (255 19s). So basically only PP1 does not have a square setup.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
At least in the US, that’s not the case. PP2s also have a square setup (305s), and the black and CA packages too (255 19s). So basically only PP1 does not have a square setup.
Oh okay, good to know.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
If it was my car, I might have swapped some good front tires to keep them for another car or for later, just in case. Plenty of scenarios that indicate worry isn't really necessary. On the other hand I'd be very interested in how the car got to auction, and why so much below market.
Sponsored