Sponsored

Ok, I put in 10 quarts of oil, but still shows 1 quart low?

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I put in 2 - 5qt jugs of Motorcraft Blended Sync 5W-20.
I went out for a ride for about 10 miles, then put it to bed.
When I checked the oil this morning, it registers at the bottom hole.
Anybody else notice this?
Sponsored

Blownfx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullit
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't done a oil change yet, but as with a lot of cars. If you change the filter it generally adds the need for another quart of oil.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Yes - absolutely. I've changed oil in my I think 4 times now and this is definitely the case.
Last time I've changed yesterday - removing the filter while the drain plug is still out will make some additional oil come out and to fill it back in you need somewhere between 10.5 and 11 quarts.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Have you tried checking what it reads after the engine is warmed up?

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
Have you tried checking what it reads after the engine is warmed up?
This makes no sense. If the engine is freshly warm, the oil hasn't made its way back to the bottom of the pan which would actually show a shorter reading. You want to check the oil when it's cold and on flat ground.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
On my Corvette with dry sump engine. The only way to properly check the oil is bring it to operating temperature and then check between 5-8 minutes before it drains back to oil pan or you will end up with an overfilled engine.

It's best to be a little low, than too much.

This is the first I have ever heard that the manufacturer wouldn't account for the oil filter change when they state the amount of oil to use. I had mine changed and 10 quarts put in and it reads where it should on the dipstick.

Now think about what you just said above. Ford really thinks you drive your car to dealership to get an oil change. Do you think they expect the dealer to wait 4 hours for it to cool down before changing the oil and acting the 10 quarts. Do you drive your car with a completely cold engine? I'm pretty sure the function of the oil pump is to move that oil from oil pan to engine and keep engine lubricated when running. Its not doing anything when engine is off.

OP
OP
number 6

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thanks KZ for your comment above.

I went out and bought an 11th Quart and added about 1/2 Quart, it brought the reading up to 1/2 between the two holes.
I'm very careful about checking my oil levels. And I always check cold. I understand how Dry and Wet sumps work, but the Mustang is Wet sump.

I'm also sure a number of folks on this forum also track their oil levels closely, so if you really need part of the 11th Quart to make it measure right, they would eventually respond.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I always check oil when cold, AND at the same spot (meaning my flat garage); it's the only way to be consistent. And the 10 quarts should include the filter, but the difference is HOW LONG you drain the old oil. I always let it drain until basically nothing comes out, and that's why I always have to put more oil than the manual's capacity states. I haven't changed the oil on my new Bullitt yet, so can't comment on how much it takes, but should know soon. Now just need to find where's it's safe to jack the car centrally (if any), and where it's safe to place jack stands other than on the Steeda jacking rails (which I'll get receive on Wednesday). Is the Torsen strong enough? Otherwise I don't think there's a central jacking location, front or rear. Thx.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
and where it's safe to place jack stands other than on the Steeda jacking rails (which I'll get receive on Wednesday). Is the Torsen strong enough? Otherwise I don't think there's a central jacking location, front or rear. Thx.
Manual very explicitly states to not lift car using differential...

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
wait a minute.

You are telling me that the amount listed for oil does not account for the filter change? I have a hard time believing that,. I have seen cars list both, with and without oil filter change but never list a single value and leave out the filter quantity.

Can we verify this?

Frank

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
On my Corvette with dry sump engine. The only way to properly check the oil is bring it to operating temperature and then check between 5-8 minutes before it drains back to oil pan or you will end up with an overfilled engine.

It's best to be a little low, than too much.

This is the first I have ever heard that the manufacturer wouldn't account for the oil filter change when they state the amount of oil to use. I had mine changed and 10 quarts put in and it reads where it should on the dipstick.

Now think about what you just said above. Ford really thinks you drive your car to dealership to get an oil change. Do you think they expect the dealer to wait 4 hours for it to cool down before changing the oil and acting the 10 quarts. Do you drive your car with a completely cold engine? I'm pretty sure the function of the oil pump is to move that oil from oil pan to engine and keep engine lubricated when running. Its not doing anything when engine is off.
For the record - since I've changed oil two days ago - engine was warm (always drive to warm the oil up - drains better) - and after draining it completely (again - removing filter with drain plug still out drains some additional oil through the drain plug (not the filter hole - there's always some stuck there) that would not be drained otherwise, I put it 10 quarts, start the engine to fill the filter, run for a bit which basically brings the engine and oil to normal operating temperature, shut down and then after few minutes add the oil to make sure it's at the right level.

You don't think dealerships pour oil from 5 quart jugs, do you ? They have oil in drums and fill it until dip stick shows max. Other option is that jugs don't really have exactly 5 quarts of oil in them, but after filling engine with two 5 quart jugs of engine oil and running it to fill the filter, dipstick indicated level is at the min - every single time I've done it. And I do take my time to make sure it's done right, re-check oil few days after and so on.

There is little magic in it, it's not a rocket science - do an oil change yourself and you'll see...

Btw - I I also installed UPR drain plug and got rid of plastic one - there was nothing wrong with it other than it was too much work to make sure I don't create the mess while draining the oil...

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
i would rather put 10 quarts in and mark where it settles on the dip stick and go with that, than trust the dip stick alone over factory fill specs

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
NO where did I write that you or the OP were wrong. I simply asked a couple of questions. I have changed oil on many cars and will change on this one the next time. Some dealerships use drums as you stated. When mine was changed last week, I watched the oil change person pick up 10 quart bottles of 5w50 oil to put in the second time around.

For the record - since I've changed oil two days ago - engine was warm (always drive to warm the oil up - drains better) - and after draining it completely (again - removing filter with drain plug still out drains some additional oil through the drain plug (not the filter hole - there's always some stuck there) that would not be drained otherwise, I put it 10 quarts, start the engine to fill the filter, run for a bit which basically brings the engine and oil to normal operating temperature, shut down and then after few minutes add the oil to make sure it's at the right level.

You don't think dealerships pour oil from 5 quart jugs, do you ? They have oil in drums and fill it until dip stick shows max. Other option is that jugs don't really have exactly 5 quarts of oil in them, but after filling engine with two 5 quart jugs of engine oil and running it to fill the filter, dipstick indicated level is at the min - every single time I've done it. And I do take my time to make sure it's done right, re-check oil few days after and so on.

There is little magic in it, it's not a rocket science - do an oil change yourself and you'll see...

Btw - I I also installed UPR drain plug and got rid of plastic one - there was nothing wrong with it other than it was too much work to make sure I don't create the mess while draining the oil...

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
NO where did I write that you or the OP were wrong. I simply asked a couple of questions. I have changed oil on many cars and will change on this one the next time. Some dealerships use drums as you stated. When mine was changed last week, I watched the oil change person pick up 10 quart bottles of 5w50 oil to put in the second time around.
Peace - just saying I've done it few times on this car (run it hard so change oil frequently), make sure the level is at max points (respectively cold and warm) and it has been like this since 1st oil change.

I'll shoot the video next time about how much oil comes out of the drain plug when the filter is removed - if someone puts the plug back in before removing the filter, that oil clearly stays in there.

OP
OP
number 6

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Peace - just saying I've done it few times on this car (run it hard so change oil frequently), make sure the level is at max points (respectively cold and warm) and it has been like this since 1st oil change.

I'll shoot the video next time about how much oil comes out of the drain plug when the filter is removed - if someone puts the plug back in before removing the filter, that oil clearly stays in there.
KZ.. I did crack the oil filter loose enough that it started seeping oil out around the filter housing, while the main plug was draining.
Do you think that crack would have been enough to force the extra oil out of the main plug?

Naturally I was checking the oil level, on the dip stick, from the beginning since when I bought the car, checking to see if it was burning any oil during the first 1,000 miles. My remembrance was that it started at about 1/2 between the top and bottom hole... and about 1/4 up from the bottom hole when I started the first oil change at 1,000 miles. Meaning I had, maybe, burnt about 1/4 quart in 1,000 miles.
From that, I deduced the factory fill was in the middle between the 2 holes.
Sponsored