Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
I found my old GT350R carbon fiber wheel repair thread and I did show that the case was a 1640. (<-click)

Sorry for any confusion.
Please please no apologies needed ; you’re a wonderful help . Our forum is better with the fine people like you on it !! Thank you
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
OP
OP
Johnnydarkgt350

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
OP
OP
Johnnydarkgt350

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For what its worth, here is a listing on ebay for the correct case. Not a bad price considering it has free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pelican-16...050596?hash=item5b6aa26164:g:DvcAAOSwJwFdnyEZ
I’m thinking that having carbon fiber wheels is kinda like other hot rod experiences I’ve had , like having to adjust my solid lifters or buying special high-performance tires with better grip because my car has so much horsepower or having to roll your windows down so your date doesn’t think your carburetor gas smell in your interior is too bad or having to put Hytest white pump 100 octane gas in at the Chevron station when you own a hemi Or having to pay more for the car in the first place to have this extreme exclusivity and performance! Sometimes it’s just how you look at it as my glass is always half full. So to all you high-performance Shelby GT 350 carbon fiber wheel owners; enjoy the ride and kick ass whenever you want cuz’ you can . Instead of buying a street set “ that’s more forgiving on the streets but yet less performance overall, I’m going to watch for one used front and one used back and have it for back up so when I do get a bump and a crack I’ll just change them and keep driving And rotate after repairs !

Sponsored

OP
OP
Johnnydarkgt350

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I thought it was $159? Tax?
That’s including Idaho state tax ! Now I’m excited to get it to them ( My previously white ceramic heat shield inside the front wheels is turned kind of spotted gray yucky)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
They are your wheels, use them as you see fit. There are two philosophies pertaining to them......

Use them on the street and don't look back

or

Get a set of street wheels and save the carbon fiber for the track.

I opt for the latter, only because there isn't a lot of weight difference between CF and forged aluminum wheels. On the street, I am not going to realize the difference and I don't want to have to go through the CF repair process ever again.

Recently I experienced some curb rash with one of my Rs, but thankfully I had forged wheels on the car.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
That’s including Idaho state tax ! Now I’m excited to get it to them ( My previously white ceramic heat shield inside the front wheels is turned kind of spotted gray yucky)
He can refinish that too, but as long as there are no scrapes or gouges, the ceramic usually cleans up ok. In other words, I wouldn't have him refinish the ceramic unless there is damage.

OP
OP
Johnnydarkgt350

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
He can refinish that too, but as long as there are no scrapes or gouges, the ceramic usually cleans up ok. In other words, I wouldn't have him refinish the ceramic unless there is damage.
To ALL of you that served THANK YOU “ my brothers that I trained with at Fort Campbell Kentucky and Fort sill Oklahoma Especially 1971 through 77 “ Go Army

cobra4ever

msteck
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350R HR427
While on the topic of carbon fiber wheel repair has anybody found good matching touch up paint? Track or street rock chips seem to be a reality.

Thanks

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
To ALL of you that served THANK YOU “ my brothers that I trained with at Fort Campbell Kentucky and Fort sill Oklahoma Especially 1971 through 77 “ Go Army
I'm a vet, but I'm still alive.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Where you live, hell yeah. I'm originally from NH and the roads are shit. Here where I live in Texas, the roads are nice and not covered in potholes so I too use mine on the street. Half the reason I bought an R.
Don’t forget about the frost heaves...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Here where I live in Texas, the roads are nice and not covered in potholes so I too use mine on the street. Half the reason I bought an R.
The other problem with these wheels on the street is caliper clearance with the wheel drum. A common problem is when a pebble lodges between the caliler and the wheel drum. It happened to me and I've seen many other occurances. Lucky for me, it just chewed a gouge in my ceramic coating. I've see others gouge well into the carbon fiber.

Do you have pebbles or rocks on your roads in Texas?

Again, who ever has these wheels it is up to them how they are used. As long as the risks and consequences are understood then it is an informed decision.

If anyone doesn't mind the cost of around $5,000 replacement per wheel or the money it will take to repair a wheel (probably totalling over $1,000 per repair) as well as the month it will take to repair that wheel, then I would absolutely enjoy the CF wheels on the street.

One of my Rs has the wheel warranty and I still use aluminum on the street and CF on the track.

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
The other problem with these wheels on the street is caliper clearance with the wheel drum. A common problem is when a pebble lodges between the caliler and the wheel drum. It happened to me and I've seen many other occurances. Lucky for me, it just chewed a gouge in my ceramic coating. I've see others gouge well into the carbon fiber.

Again, who ever has these wheels it is up to them how they are used. As long as the risks and consequences are understood then it is an informed decision.

If anyone doesn't mind the cost of around $5,000 replacement per wheel or the money it will take to repair a wheel (probably total over $1,000 per repair) as well as the month it will take to repair that wheel, then I would absolutely enjoy the CF wheels on the street.

One of my Rs has the wheel warranty and I still use aluminum on the street and CF on the track.
I am aware of the caliper clearance and yes we have pebbles in Texas but our etched concrete roads don't produce them like black top. Pebbles are typically around construction areas which I'm careful around and avoid if possible .

I don't do track days so they would just collect dust and not get used. I do about 3k miles a year. I knew the price of admission and accept the risk.

OP
OP
Johnnydarkgt350

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

If anyone doesn't mind the cost of around $5,000 replacement per wheel or the money it will take to repair a wheel (probably totalling over $1,000 per repair) as well as the month it will take to repair that wheel, then I would absolutely enjoy the CF wheels on the street.

Great news after talking and picture exchange with Frank at Spyder Composites” ; very repairable, keep it under 140 until I send it , also a slow leak would be an indicator and mine is fine. And since it’s on the inside they the cost is less as it won’t need the extra hours for the “ show finish”. $600 or if the damage Extend to up to 3 inches it could be 800. Plus 40 shipped from them to me . He liked my GT350R as Ford set Spyder Composites up with 10 alloy wheeled GT350R’s vs Carbon Fiber equipped for a balls out day at Willow Springs( he sent this Gif )
1434745F-7F29-4AD2-AFAD-4EE384306972.gif
Sponsored