Sponsored

Used & Higher Miles - OK?

Binfordtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
I sold my 17 PP1 a couple of years back. Instant regret. I've been searching for another Mustang to drive occasionally, but believe it or not - the PP1's in my area of Michigan get sold almost immediately. I see there is one for sale today, a 2015 PP1 that is mostly stock, appears to be in near perfect condition, but has over 80k miles. The owner says they are "truly all freeway miles" and has records for everything. So my question is, in your experience, are higher mile S550's a concern? I can assume that consumable items like brakes, tires, clutch, plugs, etc. will need replacement within the next xx-miles, but is there any other concerns you can think of? Thanks!
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I’d stay away from any used sports car with that many miles. Odds are those are hard miles on that car.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Depends on previous owners, if it’s a private sale. The owner has maintenance logs / receipts / etc and the car has been took care of and drives good. Sure. If it’s a dealership and you get a good price plus a warranty included & see the car fax, maybeZ Now if you don’t know these things or if the owners a young kid, Probably not.

OP
OP
Binfordtools

Binfordtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Depends on previous owners, if it’s a private sale. The owner has maintenance logs / receipts / etc and the car has been took care of and drives good. Sure. If it’s a dealership and you get a good price plus a warranty included & see the car fax, maybeZ Now if you don’t know these things or if the owners a young kid, Probably not.
It's a private sale, original owner. It is a younger owner, but he was the original owner and has kept meticulous records of the car. I'm sure he drove it like we all drive our cars, but it does not appear to have been beaten like a red-headed stepchild. It was driven in winters, in the salt, but he claims that he washed the underside weekly. I cannot prove that, but he did send underside pictures and it looks fairly clean.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My main concern would be if it was tracked, where there's a higher risk of a 'money shift' (mechanically over-revving the engine), and also higher wear and tear. If not tracked, and the car looks clean, there's a good likelihood the car was not abused, at least constantly. Typically older folks (like myself) drive more sedately, and seldom reach the upper rpm range. There's really no need to with this car, so just an every once in a while event. If the guy knows how to drive a manual well, clutch should be fine. If not, which is almost impossible to know unless you ask him to take you for a drive, a new clutch would be in your near future. If he's still on his stock clutch, I'd say he's at least a decent manual driver :D. You can burn it a lot quicker than 80K miles. Finally, as far as engine's longevity, I'd say if he took good care of it, and has proof, it should last well over 100K miles, since those engines are much less stressed (with no abuse) on Mustangs than on trucks (most internals are the same, if not better on Mustangs), and they last well over that on trucks.

If you seriously consider that car, I'd definitely spend in a good 3rd party thorough PPI (pre-purchase inspection). Good luck.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
My main concern would be if it was tracked, where there's a higher risk of a 'money shift' (mechanically over-revving the engine), and also higher wear and tear. If not tracked, and the car looks clean, there's a good likelihood the car was not abused, at least constantly. Typically older folks (like myself) drive more sedately, and seldom reach the upper rpm range. There's really no need to with this car, so just an every once in a while event. If the guy knows how to drive a manual well, clutch should be fine. If not, which is almost impossible to know unless you ask him to take you for a drive, a new clutch would be in your near future. If he's still on his stock clutch, I'd say he's at least a decent manual driver :D. You can burn it a lot quicker than 80K miles. Finally, as far as engine's longevity, I'd say if he took good care of it, and has proof, it should last well over 100K miles, since those engines are much less stressed (with no abuse) on Mustangs than on trucks (most internals are the same, if not better on Mustangs), and they last well over that on trucks.

If you seriously consider that car, I'd definitely spend in a good 3rd party thorough PPI (pre-purchase inspection). Good luck.
You're doing it wrong, man. These cars are meant to rev out, that's where your power is, haha.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it being beat on, these cars are pretty stout. And if the owner shows he's cared for it and it's in great cosmetic shape, that's a good sign. Just budget for a new clutch because you never know with a used car and you should be good.

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Knowing me, I would probably shy away from it.
However, if the owner has documentation for oil changes, tyre rotations, and such, then I might consider it. Clearly, with all the documentation and such he/she would have taken care of the car...

PS: Any photos of it?

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
If it's a toy and not your daily I say go for it. Maybe have a mechanic go over it first if you know a good one?

If it's a daily then I'd shy away. Unless it's a Honda or Toyota.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You're doing it wrong, man. These cars are meant to rev out, that's where your power is, haha.
Yeah, I know. But no need to do it constantly :D. Exercised is good. Abused, not. With a pull here and there, you don't abuse it. In a track, you do. Whether the powertrain can take the abuse is a different question. I rather not be the one to find out. Ha ha.

With 80K+ miles in 5 or less years, it's pretty obvious it was a daily. Another biggie for me would be if it was garaged all the time or not. I'd never be happy with a used car, but those who can tolerate that, can save a lot of money :).

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
It really depends on how well it was taken care of.

I bought a 1991 Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo with 80k miles, over 10 years old at the time and had zero issues in 3 years after adding 25k miles before I sold it.

But when it was time to sell it needed work. New timing belt, water pump, A/C compressor, etc...

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I'd rather have a well taken care of car with 80k miles than one that was beaten on with 20k. Sounds like your seller is above board and proud of his car. Get the car on a lift, check the undercarriage and if all is well go for it.

Lancer37

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I know this thread is slightly dead (no replies in a couple of weeks), so the OP has probably already made a decision, but since I recently bought a 2017 V6 Mustang with 79K miles, I'll reply. I test drove two mustangs; a '16 with 43K miles and a '17 with 79K. The '16 had some groaning / clicking noises from the diff, as well as a really poorly done tint job. The '17 drove great and was $1K less (yes, a factor for me). I bought the '17. I changed the trans fluid (most of it); what was in there looked somewhat dark but not bad. I changed the diff oil; it didn't look bad either. I have had to replace the water pump but it sounds like that isn't uncommon on these cars at this mileage. The only concern I have (which I should have seen when inspecting the car) is that there is a lot of fin damage on the lower portion of the AC condenser. Now I'm debating whether or not I need to do anything about it; the AC works although it acts like it is a little low on refrigerant (compressor clutch seems to kick in somewhat more often than expected). Overall I love the car; great balance between mileage and power with great handling.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I never buy used cars from the "rust belt", unless they were garage queens that got stored in the winter. Even then, I am very leery.

Lancer37

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I never buy used cars from the "rust belt", unless they were garage queens that got stored in the winter. Even then, I am very leery.
The car I found and bought was a Nevada car. It had sand and clay baked onto the transmission pan to a surprising degree.. I got most of it off when I changed the fluid. Also someone left the engine splash guard off sometime during its former life, so I bought one and put it on.
Sponsored