Sponsored

Enclosed Trailer & Towing Help

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I had a friend back in 2012 or so who towed his 67 mustang in an enclosed trailer all over the country and loved the F-150 truck.

I am still old school and love my excursion 7.3L for towing or my E450 Motorhome. Neither have an issue towing my 24 ft enclosed wether the Shelby's are in the trailer or my Bronco.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I have a F150 Lariat and it has hauled my last trailer and car without breaking a sweat just need a good load leveling hitch. I recommend https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Equalizer-Sway-Control-Hitch-10-000-lb-p/94-6478.htm it has been an amazing weight distribution hitch for me. My F150 with the 6 Cylinder Eco Boost and max towing package can tow 12K and with my trailer, car extra set of wheels, Quick Jack, and misc stuff in trailer plus weekend luggage for 2 people i push just over 10K have towed it to Florida, MI, PA, NC from Maryland no problems. I did not go with Raptor because I thought it would push right up to limit of the Truck. I also looked at a Shelby Truck but it would not tow it for sure.
Yup, my exact findings. The Raptor pulls this like its not there around town, but I really don't think its a good idea for long trips, like the 2,000 mile trip to Mustang Week later this year (hopefully).

Funny you mentioned that WDH, I placed an order for that exact one when I got home from picking up the trailer on Saturday. It was highly recommended by my camping friends.

I fell in love with the power of the Raptor, and since the 2019 & 2020 Limiteds have the H.O. engine, drivetrain, & exhaust of the Raptor, that's the one for me. Because of the 22' wheels, it has a tow rating of 11,100, not the 13,000 of the Max Tow Package version of a F150, but that will be plenty for me, and WAY better than the 8,000 limit of the Raptor. The soft suspension in the Raptor is it's weakness for towing, and because of it, things like airbag kits aren't available for it. The F150 as you know, is very capable of doing the job, and has every aftermarket option available for it compared to the Raptor.

The 450hp and 550 torque will feel even better on the Limited :rockon:

Dunk812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Rapid Red
Yup, my exact findings. The Raptor pulls this like its not there around town, but I really don't think its a good idea for long trips, like the 2,000 mile trip to Mustang Week later this year (hopefully).

Funny you mentioned that WDH, I placed an order for that exact one when I got home from picking up the trailer on Saturday. It was highly recommended by my camping friends.

I fell in love with the power of the Raptor, and since the 2019 & 2020 Limiteds have the H.O. engine, drivetrain, & exhaust of the Raptor, that's the one for me. Because of the 22' wheels, it has a tow rating of 11,100, not the 13,000 of the Max Tow Package version of a F150, but that will be plenty for me, and WAY better than the 8,000 limit of the Raptor. The soft suspension in the Raptor is it's weakness for towing, and because of it, things like airbag kits aren't available for it. The F150 as you know, is very capable of doing the job, and has every aftermarket option available for it compared to the Raptor.

The 450hp and 550 torque will feel even better on the Limited :rockon:
Funny I did not go limited only because I'm anti Chome (I know I'm weird) so getting a blacked out version in the F150 was for me. I agree with the big eco boost when the twin turbos spin up it's bad ass....... you can get a tune with a CAI and it's pretty amazing. I have a shelby so not racing the truck but when I want to get around someone or merge and I put my foot in it holly crap it goes.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are some towing ANIMALS!

Never owned a WDH but I can see where it would make a huge difference.
I have towed all over the country. Towed the 350 to San Antonio 2yrs ago for the Terlingua event, then the following year went to Michigan for a Team Shelby track event at Gingerman. After Gingerman, we went to Detroit for the "Big Cruise along with Ford Test Track and then towed her home. We made a slight detour going up, stopping in Nashville and St Louis for sightseeing. It was fun, we would unload car for the day, do the sightseeeing and load her back up.

Those are great trips. Hoping to got to Road Atlanta in June for the track event in June. Making plans now.

I have the WDH and sway bar on MH and it works great.

Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
It's a 2020, and yes it has the factory tow package, and Trailer Pro. My research today shows there is no way around this, except to run a new feed to the trailer.

I am holding off for a bit, as I "might" be trading the Raptor in for a Limited. The Limited tows 11,100 lbs, as opposed to 8,000 in the Raptor. That and things like air bags can be added to any F150, where the Raptor you can not. The Raptor will tow pretty good, I just don't think I am comfortable towing almost 8,000 for 1,600 miles (each way).

If the numbers don't work, I won't do it, but I will find out tomorrow.
Well that is certainly good to know, as i know NOT to get a 2020 raptor now. Have to see if thats the case with 19's too.
I did 18+ hours with the 2.7 on WD/sway and airbags with a gt500 and 4500lbs trailer with extra gear from palm beach back to DE, Other than stopping for fuel every 2 hours, the truck handled it fine. 2-3 LONG trips a year, i wouldnt be concnerned, but if your taking a lot more trips. probably upgrade. for anything 6 hours or less, i dont feel its an issue. maybe change fluids after. your call. the thing to consider is the daily usage with the HD trailer package, i hear those sprinsg can be a bit rough, but again, swapping to airbags eliminates that

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I did the deed, and as much as I miss the Raptor, I don't miss the Raptor. These Limiteds are something else. 2019+ uses the same drivetrain as the Raptor, but on normal suspension. I feel like I purchased a modern (four door - luxurious) F150 Lightning.

Although the truck came with a generic engine cover, I swapped it with the Raptor cover when I traded it in :sunglasses:

IMG_1085.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice, hope you get many miles out of it.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
VERY nice truck, Jaime and I have a special place in my heart for white. Get that WDH and you'll be ROCKIN'.

Man, I sure hope those who still want to do it, get a chance to attend Track Attack.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Spent some time today setting up my Equalizer weight distribution hitch. I’m feeling much better about the trade for the Limited, just the weight of this hitch alone only left me with maybe 200lbs before I was overweighted with the Raptor.

Tomorrow I’m going to pull it somewhere flat and double check the WDH setup, and also do the Pro-Trailer setup. Here are some pictures of how I left off this evening. The car is in the trailer and it’s looking pretty well setup to me.

25AB46FD-5A93-40B1-AE06-0FA2E401385E.jpeg

EBBBAAAB-E2B8-41B5-B002-3D628905B872.jpeg

CB7D1E4D-72F7-47E3-B3E9-5E292A806718.jpeg

9046DF68-99DB-499E-AF1B-59676BB2C0A4.jpeg

9E9E9D07-72AB-42CB-B985-E8361322B311.jpeg

Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Looking good. all you need now is the antisway bar, and down the road, the electric jack :)

Dunk812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Rapid Red
Looking good. all you need now is the antisway bar, and down the road, the electric jack :)
Voodoo that WDH has some anti sway built in and between that and the anti sway in the truck, I found putting my anti sway bar really hinder rather then helped. The electric jack is a must have I for years did it the old fashioned way went electric and was holly crap I’m as dumb as they come for not doing that earlier

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
Third the electric jack, you’ll need it fully loaded.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So this WDH has anti-sway was well. I took it fully loaded on a highway run today, and its working perfectly! Oh man, so much better. I almost cant feel it now.

Third the electric jack, you’ll need it fully loaded.

I do want to get an electric jack, I just need to figure out what one will work the best on this truck. I hope there is one that just plugs into the 7 pin, or 4 pin and powers up. Something weird about the wiring of new F Series trucks, the 7 pin doesn't supply constant 12v power, and even the interior lights on the trailer won't power up. Freaking sucks if you ask me. That said, I don't know if an electric jack will power up via either connector, and I do not want to add a battery to the trailer.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Jaime: I'm wondering if Ford saw a problem with people doing the same thing as you only to discover that the wire gauge they used wouldn't handle the current for the jack motor? And rather than upgrade it, they just disabled it.

But, worst case, I'm sure you can pull a lead from the battery/fuse box to the receiver and power up that pin. I have no idea what sort of load a jack like that pulls but I'm guessing not all that much. It's probably a high speed, low gear ratio to maximize the mechanical advantage while keeping the electrical requirement low.

Hope it turns out to be easier than you think. Heck, I think it's cool just to have another "garage" space. :-)
Sponsored