Sponsored

Accuracy of the g-force gauges

first-gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I just picked up a slightly used 2019 GT. Everything checked out at an independent inspection and I've been loving the car so far. But I noticed some interesting numbers on the g-force gauges. The previously recorded brake force was up at 1.86. And the left lateral Gs were at 1.79. Are these numbers possible without being in an accident?
Sponsored

JGonvardi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP CO
It’s easy to hit those numbers during spirited driving.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
There was a thread about this. You won’t see over 1.5 after it’s been reset. In fact a huge group called a few of us lairs that had seen anything over that 1.5. I like you 1.86 on brake and 1.79 on left. When they did my tsb and did some calibration it came back. Has something to do with some calibration. Seems once you reset it, you’ll never get over 1.5 actual

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It’s easy to hit those numbers during spirited driving.
Those numbers are well beyond the realm of "spirited driving". Two people getting identical max readings like that is suspicious, like those readings might be what the display defaults to when the acceleration data is outside the expected range (whatever that might be).

1.5g should be high enough to pick up even peak-g readings from street tires, certainly any peaks attained in street driving. Beyond what the OE 20" Pirelli P-Zero summer tires can muster, and well beyond what the OE 18" and 19" Pirelli all-season tires are capable of.

Norm

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I could see an extreme braking event causing some decent G forces. But what I can't see happening is a lateral movement generating 2x the G force numbers generated by all auto reviewers. Unless it's some sort of initial jolt when doing a hard turn, but quickly levels out to what we would expect the levels to be?

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I typically see around 1.2-1.3 lateral g on a race track with NT01s. I have a hard time believing someone can hit 1.7+ on the street from spirited driving. I would either suspect the calibration to be off or the car got whipped hard in a loss of control type situation.

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
1.2 to 1.3? The auto magazines don't see those kinds of numbers on a street car with ANY street-legal tires. Even for a Porsche, Ferrari, etc.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
1.2 to 1.3? The auto magazines don't see those kinds of numbers on a street car with ANY street-legal tires. Even for a Porsche, Ferrari, etc.
If you are referring to my post, the 1.2-1.3 range is easily attained with a properly setup car, experienced driver and sticky tires. The NT01s are 100 threadwear so not the typical "street" tire.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I agree with Albert. Just a few tweaks that the car rags don't get to do can make the difference. Things like adding a little roll resistance and making more cornering-friendly camber settings, maybe wider tires on wider wheels, for starters.

Once sufficiently warmed up (and not overheated) even MPSS tires can be part of what puts a car into the 1.3x range (peak).

You may have to click to get the full size .jpg so you can read the table at the top left (1.28g peak left, 1.36g peak right peaks, 1.07g sustained left).

Lateral accelerations MPSS.jpg

Norm

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I've rarely seen higher than about 1.25 on my car at any track. "200TW" 305 RE71R w/ suspension mods, various parking lots and Texas tracks including CotA. For braking, I don't think I've even seen greater than 1.15g personally, even with the above tires and track pads (something something aggressive camber intended for cornering).

I have seen 1.50 a few times, but obviously that was an error which maxed out the software limit.

I wouldn't worry about anything greater than 1.7, its very likely in error (or the car was crashed).

Sponsored

JGonvardi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP CO
I disagree that these readings go beyond spirited driving. Some mountain passes will produce much higher readings than track sessions for me. 1.2 - 1.3 is well within what an s550 can handle on summer compound. The two identical max readings are interesting though.

JGonvardi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP CO
I usually run another G force meter and the one in track apps matches up to 1.5 G. It takes alot to overwhelm the grip on the PS4S
3C3F542F-6788-46B4-ADB0-754F76601739.jpeg

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
I usually run another G force meter and the one in track apps matches up to 1.5 G. It takes alot to overwhelm the grip on the PS4S
3C3F542F-6788-46B4-ADB0-754F76601739.jpeg
I was looking for a post with the g-force meter in it because I was not sure if mine was correct or not lol
I just boke 1K miles on mine and was playing on country road and was very surprised what my results turned out to be. so reading your post I think it is correct
g.jpg

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I was looking for a post with the g-force meter in it because I was not sure if mine was correct or not lol
I just boke 1K miles on mine and was playing on country road and was very surprised what my results turned out to be. so reading your post I think it is correct
g.jpg
The 1.86 and 1.79 are from a calibration they do. Once reset you won’t see over 1.5. If you see 1.86 legitimately on the street it’s because you hit something. And same for the 1.79 you are not hitting these numbers from the OEM tires... no where close.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I am BSME and I think I recall that 1.0g is the theoretical limit without wing downforce?
Think about it. If the sideways force exceeds the gravitational force then the tires would lose grip and slip sideways. A lot.

But a winged car pushes down more than the car's weight. Which is why I REALLY want to drive a light winged car!!
Sponsored