Sponsored

Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

mjr1989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack
View attachment 470185 View attachment 470186 View attachment 470187 Got mine installed today. Topped it off with the Ford Performance GT350 filter. Initial impressions put a big smile on my face. I can definitely feel the power down low. The car rips in 1st-3rd now, especially in Track mode. I also noticed a major increase in pops and crackles when upshifting and downshifting. I was honestly surprised at how much the car will pop and crackle in between upshifts, it sounds very aggressive. I have the Ford Performance Extreme exhaust already installed on the vehicle, and there is a noticeable change in tone and the exhaust seems louder. Puts a big smile on my face! As far as fitment goes, I have zero issues. I had a Ford dealership tech install the kit. He charged an hour and a half, which I felt was very fair. Intake and throttle body fit perfectly. The tech commented that everything went together very smoothly. I have no issues with hood fitment. I drove for an hour after the install and my intake temps were 5-6 degrees above ambient. It was 73 outside, intake temps were around 77-78 degrees.
Overall, I think this kit is well worth the money. It has noticeably changed the character of the engine. It feels more raw now, much more aggressive and freer to rev. Throttle response is markedly improved. Knowing that this maintains my warranty is also a major point. I highly recommend this kit for those who plan mild mods and wish to retain their warranty. I'm very pleased with how it turned out!
001.JPG
002.JPG
004.JPG
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Something else to consider not only is this "tune" more expensive than competitors. You are also stuck with what you get. you aren't gonna have anyone make a new tune or adjust this one when you add or take away anything. As far as I know you have no access to it. Shops wont have access to it. What if they come out with a stage 3 kit with manifold? like they did for the older stangs. You gonna have to buy a whole new kit again it get the new tune? Instead of just adding the manifold and adjusting the tune?

As I see this kit you get what you get and thats it. unlike aftermarket tunes that you have access, fine tune, add and remove parts.... shops can access and others can write tunes for. As far as I know this isnt an option with this kit? or would ford performance later give you a tune for adding the manifold only if they come up with that kit too? Instead of having to rebuy the whole thing.

IM not saying these things as fact but as far as I know this is how this works. Anyone know how it all works or is it like I said you are stuck with what you buy?

Also anyone know if this kit can be resold or is the tune locked to your vin? as in once you bought it it's yours period?
The tune itself can't be modified but it's not hard for a third party tuner to make a tune that utilizes the TB and intake. Although, as has been said plenty of times, this tune isn't meant to be a stepping stone or a gateway buy. It's basically there if you want a bit more but don't want to do anything else. A stage 3 kit, if it's like the previous gen, will have to be bought again. I emphasize the bit about it being like the previous generation because that's just it. This is how it's been. All the questions you're asking are answered somewhere on this forum from any gen 2 owners that traveled down this road. Although, for your peace of mind, we're unlikely to see anything else. A drop in filter is pointless, and the gt350 IM probably won't gain much of anything over the 2018+ IM unless the car revs up to 8k.

I'm not saying this tune is or isn't underwhelming but I don't get why people are all up in arms one way or the other. It's just a throttle body and an intake. It's been shown several times that those two don't do much. Unfortunately this is the no different.

The tune probably loosens up a lot of its built in torque management and then whatever gains from the parts. It's a no-comprise gain across the power band. That's not bad at all. The procal also has some nice goodies in it that can be genuinely utilized over the course of ownership.

Do you want a throttle body and "cold" air intake with a tune, by Ford, a nifty tool that has real world use beyond flashing the tune, and retain warranty? Great, this is for you. Are you going to argue value of parts when literally every aftermarket option is overpriced to begin with? I mean, ffs, go shop around for anything for a foxbody and you're looking at 1/4 of the price. I could do a full H/C/I on a fox for what I spent on my exhaust on my 2019. I digress, if so then you're better off staying stock. This car is plenty fast. Oh, and before someone jumps in, you do not lose your warranty. Ford Performance takes over the remainder of your 3y/36k warranty, then it's back to Ford for the 5y/60k. The catch is that if anyone deems a failure was caused by the tune or parts then a claim can be denied.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I spent 4000$ for headers & dyno time. And returned to stock a week later. The ford oem calibration is kinda on point
Holy smokes! That is pricey. Volume or what was reason for reverting out of curiosity?

And ya the stock tires left alot to be desired even stock tune. Would blow those off before tuning. Upgrading rubber and suspension made the power more usable and enjoyable.

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
Holy smokes! That is pricey. Volume or what was reason for reverting out of curiosity?

And ya the stock tires left alot to be desired even stock tune. Would blow those off before tuning. Upgrading rubber and suspension made the power more usable and enjoyable.
Its 4k for everything so parts/labor/tuning together. And ya ARH Longtubes are not cheap a bit more pricier than kooks actually. But the fitment is top notch

What made me go back to stock, a few things. The first one being my A10 transmission behavior completely different and skipping gear for economy and using the last 8-10 gear often aswell. I remember seeing that im in 10th gear at 40 km/h driving in a city boulevard. It makes it felt so sluggish always having to downshift a couples gear everytime you give it a little of gas pedal. It annoyed me alot

Second, is the catless smell. have baby and underground parking has no ventilating so the next morning you could still smell the unburnt fuel all over the places. Not nice for health and others that live there aswell.

Third, the power management was non existent so it gives all it has right away and the rearwheel hop is present. Impossible for me to get any traction WOT before the middle of the second gear and third beginning. I would floor it in a roll and still felt the rear sliding like a snake

Sponsored

gismo4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Also anyone know if this kit can be resold or is the tune locked to your vin? as in once you bought it it's yours period?
I'm interested if it's transferable and you're ok with shipping :like:

gismo4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
View attachment 470187 Got mine installed today. Topped it off with the Ford Performance GT350 filter. Initial impressions put a big smile on my face. I can definitely feel the power down low. The car rips in 1st-3rd now, especially in Track mode. I also noticed a major increase in pops and crackles when upshifting and downshifting. I was honestly surprised at how much the car will pop and crackle in between upshifts, it sounds very aggressive. I have the Ford Performance Extreme exhaust already installed on the vehicle, and there is a noticeable change in tone and the exhaust seems louder. Puts a big smile on my face! As far as fitment goes, I have zero issues. I had a Ford dealership tech install the kit. He charged an hour and a half, which I felt was very fair. Intake and throttle body fit perfectly. The tech commented that everything went together very smoothly. I have no issues with hood fitment. I drove for an hour after the install and my intake temps were 5-6 degrees above ambient. It was 73 outside, intake temps were around 77-78 degrees.
Overall, I think this kit is well worth the money. It has noticeably changed the character of the engine. It feels more raw now, much more aggressive and freer to rev. Throttle response is markedly improved. Knowing that this maintains my warranty is also a major point. I highly recommend this kit for those who plan mild mods and wish to retain their warranty. I'm very pleased with how it turned out!
004.JPG
I was actually wondering why they didn't go with blue. It looks good!

Pandajoshy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
How I came to the determination as to whether or not I would recommend it is the following: Can I feel a difference in how the car performs? Does it make me want to drive the car Every day like I used to when I first purchased the car? The answer to both of these questions is yes that’s why I recommended it.
I feel the same way. Did this tune/kit put down the numbers that Ford said it would? NO. Do I feel a difference in the way my car performs that makes me look forward to driving it everyday? YES. Like @Helios said, you can get a custom tune that will net you a lot of power, but does that power transfer to the wheels in a practical way that allows you to enjoy driving it, or does the back end just get away from you every time you try to put the power down? I'd rather have a conservative tune that i can enjoy vs a tune that provides power but isn't practical and voids my warranty. and even if you get a tune that isn't constantly causing your back end to break loose, its still gonna void your warranty. Now is the difference i feel in my car from the tune/kit worth $1,300 (tune/kit and cost to get it installed) i would say yes because besides that, I do not plan on getting any performance mods done until the warranty expires, which will probably be for another 5 years, so i pretty much don't have any other option. but if your car is already out of warranty, then I would not recommend this tune, you might as well go custom tune. So all in all, if you want a performance enhancing mod that will not necessarily get you a bunch of power, but will change the characteristics of your car and change your driving experience for the better (in my opinion) without voiding your warranty, then this Kit/Tune is for you. But if you say *uck it and dont care about your warranty, or your car is no longer under warranty, dont bother with this kit/tune because you could get something better for the same price.

Erratikmind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Prem M6/401A/PP1/MR, '19 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
View attachment 470185 View attachment 470186 View attachment 470187 Got mine installed today. Topped it off with the Ford Performance GT350 filter. Initial impressions put a big smile on my face. I can definitely feel the power down low. The car rips in 1st-3rd now, especially in Track mode. I also noticed a major increase in pops and crackles when upshifting and downshifting. I was honestly surprised at how much the car will pop and crackle in between upshifts, it sounds very aggressive. I have the Ford Performance Extreme exhaust already installed on the vehicle, and there is a noticeable change in tone and the exhaust seems louder. Puts a big smile on my face! As far as fitment goes, I have zero issues. I had a Ford dealership tech install the kit. He charged an hour and a half, which I felt was very fair. Intake and throttle body fit perfectly. The tech commented that everything went together very smoothly. I have no issues with hood fitment. I drove for an hour after the install and my intake temps were 5-6 degrees above ambient. It was 73 outside, intake temps were around 77-78 degrees.
001.JPG
002.JPG
004.JPG
I purchased the same filter from LMR. I had my local Ford tech install my kit, as well. Haven’t noticed much difference up on top. However, I am pleased with the extra boost down low when driving around town.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
After all the dyno stuff is done, let us see how much mpg gained, but hard to do cause the tune and pack is for making spirited driving better.

Sponsored

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
@Briebee72 I am wondering if maybe there was a problem with your install or download. You dont feel anything at all? For me, I am wondering since I have the base, I mean base trim GT manual, no drive modes nor active exhaust lol if the kit made a bigger difference for me, probably so.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
@Briebee72 I am wondering if maybe there was a problem with your install or download. You dont feel anything at all? For me, I am wondering since I have the base, I mean base trim GT manual, no drive modes nor active exhaust lol if the kit made a bigger difference for me, probably so.
A car with no drive modes the trans tuning itself will make the car feel better even with little to no power increase. I can only assume the tune includes it at least to some degree similar to the custom tuning out there.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Well I know the physical parts are on correctly and to spec and torque settings on each bolt/screw. as for the flash I was never given any error codes and from my understanding on these cars with the new parts if it still had the old tune it wouldn't run correctly. IM assuming if the new tune was flashed wrong the same would be true. The car runs fine im just not getting this holy crap this is awesome that others are saying they are getting. Maybe ill message ford performance and see if they have any ideas. As of now im not impressed and I personally am in the not worth the money camp.

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
Well I know the physical parts are on correctly and to spec and torque settings on each bolt/screw. as for the flash I was never given any error codes and from my understanding on these cars with the new parts if it still had the old tune it wouldn't run correctly. IM assuming if the new tune was flashed wrong the same would be true. The car runs fine im just not getting this holy crap this is awesome that others are saying they are getting. Maybe ill message ford performance and see if they have any ideas. As of now im not impressed and I personally am in the not worth the money camp.
Fuel maybe ? if your using 91 the factory calibration is not even giving you the maximum it can. You can reach 27.5 timing on 93.

Don't buy performance tune if you only have access to 91 lets say, its not going to give you much. They prob got 42 lbs of torque down low adding timing closer to 31 degrees but you can not get your knock sensor to deliver as much if your fuel is not efficient.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
On a lighter note :) Am I the only one who went throught the trouble of cutting out this perfect hole for the hose? Seems everyone else takes their covers off.
Screenshot_2.jpg
Sponsored