Sponsored

Castrol Magnatec Start Stop vs Professional

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
Is there a difference between the Castrol Magnatec Professional version for Ford cars and the regular Castrol Magnatec Start Stop? Price is the same and they both say A5 5W30

Because of the corona outbreak my dealer is closed, and my Mustang Ecoboost needs an oil change so I figured I'll do it myself. I don't know what kind of oil they use, but since Motorcraft isn't available over here and my manual says Ford recommends Castrol, I guess they use one of the versions I mentioned.

Is there perhaps a better oil available for the Ecoboost engine? I can get the Amsoil Signature series too, which is more expensive though.
CastrolMagnatec-5W-30-A5Professional__96357_zoom.jpg
View attachment 453809
Castrol_Magnatec_Stop-Start_A5_5W30_5_Liter__56232_zoom.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...MI6KObperU6AIVDhQMCh3DVgbLEAAYASAAEgJwdfD_BwE

I see your located in Belgium. You should also consider Liqui-Moly and Motul.
My manual says I need an oil with the wss-m2c913-d label, and the only oils I could find with that label are the Castrol Magnatec and Pennzoil Valvoline. Does it really matters or will any 5W30 oil work fine? I do want to keep the warranty though. Just looking to get the best oil for the 2.3 turbo engine that sees some track usage (and daily driving).

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
Walt, allow me to try to revive this your thread with my simple question.

I have MY2019 GT with 5.0L becoming one year old end of May.
So I will take it to the first annual service.
Oil will be changed for the first time.

I asked the head of service, what kind of oil will be used. The answer was: Castrol Magnatec Professional E 5W-20.

Do you - knowledgeable readers of this forum - agree with this choice and you would also be willing to put this kind of oil into your Coyote?

(Please, take a note: I don't want to start 5W-XY discussion. It's about the oil as stated here).

Engine_Oil_Castrol_MAGNATEC_Front-from_Internet.jpg
Engine_Oil_Castrol_MAGNATEC_Back-from_Internet.jpg

Attachments

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Well, if you want to comply with Ford's specs, our V8s call for either WSS-M2C945-B1 (5/20) or 946-B1 (5/30), and 'yours' is 948-B1. The M1 0/30 I was planning to use is 953-B1. There shouldn't be any issues, but I'm confused with that label, since all eco-boost engines I've seen require 5/30, not 5/20. That's weird that 5/20 oil does not comply with Ford's spec. Maybe somebody else can shed some light on that.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
For the Ecoboost the two oils in the OP's thread are exactly the same. The professional is sold to dealerships and businesses and the start/stop is the consumer label branding for people like us buying from the auto parts store.

They are recommended for your Ecoboost engine.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS

I asked the head of service, what kind of oil will be used. The answer was: Castrol Magnatec Professional E 5W-20.

Do you - knowledgeable readers of this forum - agree with this choice and you would also be willing to put this kind of oil into your Coyote?

(Please, take a note: I don't want to start 5W-XY discussion. It's about the oil as stated here).

Engine_Oil_Castrol_MAGNATEC_Front-from_Internet.jpg
Engine_Oil_Castrol_MAGNATEC_Back-from_Internet.jpg
Yes, that is the correct oil and is what the dealers use in the UK on the V8 Coyote motors.

Castrol Magnatec 5W-20 E, spec WSS-M2C948-B

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-79184-...eco-boost-fully-synthetic-car-engine-oil.aspx

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
Information in my EU Owner's Manual for MY2019 5.0L V8 is stated: SAE 5W-20, specification WSS-M2C948-B.
This Castrol Magnatec Professional comply with this requirements "on paper".
But does somebody has any actual experience with this type of oil?

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
The professional is sold to dealerships and businesses and the start/stop is the consumer label branding for people like us buying from the auto parts store.
Good to know. Thank you.
I have compared the specifications of these two (Prof vs Start/Stop) and I didn't find any differences.
Which supports your statement.

Sponsored

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
Information in my EU Owner's Manual for MY2019 5.0L V8 is stated: SAE 5W-20, specification WSS-M2C948-B.
This Castrol Magnatec Professional comply with this requirements "on paper".
But does somebody has any actual experience with this type of oil?
"Experience"

Every single Mustang sold outside of the United States. So far so good. The Coyote is a stout motor anyway. Ford builds several hundred thousands Coyote engines for the Mustang and its trucks each year. I wouldn't worry about the motor.

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
"Experience"

Every single Mustang sold outside of the United States. So far so good. The Coyote is a stout motor anyway. Ford builds several hundred thousands Coyote engines for the Mustang and its trucks each year. I wouldn't worry about the motor.
Good one! :like:

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT

I did end up using the Castrol Magnatec Professional for my Mustang Ecoboost. It had the required spec (ford wss-m2c913-d) and according to some research I did it ranks up quite high on the oil ranking list. I can't comment for the GT, but as far as I know they use the same oil in the Coyote engine, at my dealership they use 5W30 for both the V8 and Ecoboost.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fbb9qtL-yWlzDPLzvxzpF01gRRtH8fKxeVtXt6HPpgg/edit#gid=0

Sponsored