Sponsored

Ford Extended Warranty

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Afternoon

I was a bit bored so started looking at Ford Extended Warranty for my GT. What baffles me is you can only purchase one before the car is actually registered, is this correct? Makes zero sense to me, why an earth cant you buy one in years 1,2 or 3 of the existing warranty? With a BMW you extend the warranty when the original 3 years is up.

Bit of a bugger really as i noticed to extend the warranty for 2 extra years its only £680, which is basically peanuts in comparison to what BMW wanted for my M2 for 1 year with an excess, circa £1000 with a £250 excess i recall. Also once you bust 60,000 miles it ramps up even more, not that i would do that many miles in 4 or 5 years.

Would much rather a Ford extended warranty than one of the third party ones.
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
You pays your money you take your choice.
My understanding is that can only extend your BMW warrnty once current one nears expiry, at which point they rip you off. I was more than happy with Ford's price for 5 year warranty for £540 and that could do at start. Shouldn't be an issue if you're orgnaised before you buy.

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
You pays your money you take your choice.
My understanding is that can only extend your BMW warrnty once current one nears expiry, at which point they rip you off. I was more than happy with Ford's price for 5 year warranty for £540 and that could do at start. Shouldn't be an issue if you're orgnaised before you buy.
I didn't know about the extended warranty T&C's and the Ford dealer didn't inform me about them, maybe they should have, maybe i should be more organised as you put it. From a customer service perspective it would have been nice to have been made aware. The £680 is well worth it for an extra 2 years and even if you sell it on will make it attractive to a buyer. I do a fair bit of research when buying a car and to my cost this small fragment of information eluded my google searches.

I assumed, clearly incorrectly that it was something i could purchase later, a bit like the 3 year service pack which you could purchase at anytime before the 1st service (well thats how it was on the Focus we also have when we purchased it in 2016 new).

Oddly it 'appears' that in the USA a Ford extended warranty can be purchased later in life. Personally i just dont understand why they dont offer it at least during the first 12 months. It is what it is though, i have to accept that.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe it's in the Mustang brochure about the 5 year warranty.
Most people on this forum know more than the dealers about the Mustang so don't rely on the dealer.
If you ask why they don't let you include it for the first year then you could ask why they don't just give you a five year warrnty included with the car as the cost is relatively minimal. Every company has its quirks, I'm assuming there is a business case somewhere for Ford's, Just don't sell it within the first 5 years and people won't know it didn't have the extended warranty!

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Ford don't seem to push them, but then they are so cheap that I don't expect there is much dealer commission. I got mine included in the purchase price with no effort at all.

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, they are probably not incentivised to push them

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Ford don't seem to push them, but then they are so cheap that I don't expect there is much dealer commission. I got mine included in the purchase price with no effort at all.
I believe my dealer got zero commission from the Ford extended warranty. They didn’t care if I did or didn’t.

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
For what it cos was a no brainer really the Audi renewal is about that per year

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I got the extended warranty at sale but now with 72,000 and it's a 16 model I have a cracked windshield & I don't believe it's included. Carry on.

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
Don't think consumables are included in any makes car warranty lol

Sponsored

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I was advised about the extended warranty, by a disappointed RS buyer who hadn't realised the extension needed to be purchased with the vehicle, not after.

The dealer didn't mention it to me when I spec'd my car, so I just asked for it at the time of formalizing the order.

Made some sense at the time, but subsequent mods have reduced what is still covered, so perhaps not so much of a peace of mind deal, it was.
Ho-hey, you pays your money....

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Dealer didn't mention the extended warranty to me either. Took out a FordProtect warranty at three years. I guess its a Ford branded third-party effort but it was relatively cheap at £11/month and seems to cover quite a lot. Who knows til I need to claim though...
Renewed at year four for same premium and they've thrown the roadside assistance back in.

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
I paid about £600 for three years. Cheap as chips really. I’ve had a few approved warranties, the Audi one is a load of rubbish. Time will tell when I finally get Ford to look at my 2nd gear crunch problem as soon as they’re allowed to give out courtesy cars again.
Sponsored