Black wheel balance weights

BLUE DEVIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Prem - Perf Pack
Has anyone had experiences with any black wheel weights?

I see them listed on eBay, they are steel rather than lead which should not make a functional difference. They are also high zinc content for corrosion resistance. I see some listed as epoxy double coat paint and others as powder coated.

The silver lead weights really look tacky on a black wheel. I guess I could get lead weights, paint em' black and take them to the tire shop, but if I they can be bought.....why bother.
Sponsored

vincentjm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vincent
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT PP
The shop that mounted my tires and balanced my Apex wheels used black weights. Never seen black weights before either, but they look awesome, can barely see them.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
I wish I thought of this before getting my new wheels. Even on graphite wheels the silver weights stick out like a sore thumb. I'll likely be painting them.
DSC07565.jpeg

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
For those of us with race car things, the stick on weights melt off. I found some flat black no name made in China aluminum foil tape that works pretty good at its primary purpose. Also less visible than gray.

You could also just let the wheel get filthy like I usually do.
63D95485-030C-4E2E-B73F-366A411D6E02.jpeg

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Wait, you guys clean your wheels?

Honestly if you care, you can just spray some normal wheel weights before they're applied. K.I.S.S

Locally, one of the nice places that works on nicer sports cars (and charges $200 for a mount/balance) tries to have black weights in stock, but the reasonably priced places (like $80 for a mount/balance) are just going to have silver weights.

OP
OP

BLUE DEVIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I had mine balanced today at a Goodyear shop. Seems many/most of them in my area have black wheel weights, as I had my pick of nearby Goodyear shops, based on which could get it done the soonest. They are nice, definitely don't stick out like a sore thumb!!

OP
OP

BLUE DEVIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I think the guy said they have dark gray as well, not sure of shade of gray though. They guy mentioned that the lead weights are being phased out. Environmental and health concerns.

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
spray them with a coat or 2 of plastidip.. then peel off the over spray on the barrel..
I second this. It's cheap, easy, reversible and DIY. For insurance purposes, many shops may not use supplied weights/parts.

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
I just bought those black ebay weights! I needed weights anyway, and they were bare more $ than normal silver weights. Mostly irrelevant anyway, I almost always tape weights on for track wheels.

For those with black wheels, silver weights. Home depot should have some gorilla tape (or any black duct tape) you can just put a small strip of tape over the weights. #1 help keep the weights on, #2 will look better.

Dang, get a little close to a brake caliper LOL:crackup: I done the same.

Wait, you guys clean your wheels?
Haha, So true! When I'm selling old sets of wheels I've used at the track I usually classify the color of the wheel as "brake dust color"
Sponsored