Need advice on my suspension

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I switched my tires to 275/35 all around which made my front to be higher than the rear but this made the car to oversteer.
That's a little counterintuitive. What tires did you have on the car previously?
Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
That's a little counterintuitive. What tires did you have on the car previously?
I have a PP car so 255/40 Front and 275/40 Back

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I have a PP car so 255/40 Front and 275/40 Back
Ok, now it makes sense. That extra inch of rubber on each front tire is a big deal.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Ok, now it makes sense. That extra inch of rubber on each front tire is a big deal.
Yeah. The staggered rear is gonna make the car push. Without that, the balance shifts more towards the neutral/oversteer side of scale. Also, even things like tire pressure can change the balance, so depending on his tire psi that can also contribute.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. The staggered rear is gonna make the car push. Without that, the balance shifts more towards the neutral/oversteer side of scale. Also, even things like tire pressure can change the balance, so depending on his tire psi that can also contribute.
It does become oversteer so I will buy bigger front sway to push it back a bit. Because I also switched to Semi-Slicks and they are stickier so the car is leaning a lot with them. Next track event is 05.06 which will be my first with this tires.

Sponsored

OP
OP
krishelnino

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
As an update, I've been waiting few weeks since my order but the BMR front 3-adjustable bar is not expected to be available until Jun 20th. So i decided to keep the FP 36.5mm bar at the front for now and set it to stiffer setting. I've also postponed the RLCA bearings and Shock mounts upgrades to couple of months later when I do the diff swap.

Tomorrow i'll be getting these installed
BMR SP083
BMR vertical links TCA048
OEM PP rear bar
MGW X-Spec.

along with this alignment
F Camber: -2.0
Toe: 0.05 per side, total 0.10
R Camber: -1.7
Toe: 0.10 per side, total 0.20

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
along with this alignment
F Camber: -2.0
Toe: 0.05 per side, total 0.10
R Camber: -1.7
Toe: 0.10 per side, total 0.20
Maybe -1.5 on the rear to match that front? BMR etc recommend more like 0.12-0.15 rear toe per side. Admittedly I don't know how much difference that makes.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Maybe -1.5 on the rear to match that front? BMR etc recommend more like 0.12-0.15 rear toe per side. Admittedly I don't know how much difference that makes.
I concur. Try to achieve a 0.5 deg less rear camber. It's a good balance, and IMO should work really well with his stiff front sway bar and the SP083 springs.

Running less rear camber will give lower rear cornering grip, but you need more front anyway, and by running that camber split front-rear it makes the car more lively and helps rid the car of it's terminal factory understeer. However, less rear camber will make it hook up better in a straight line. His stiff front bar will also help plant the rear tires so I think it should come very close to balanced out - giving him a slight understeer at the limit.

Edit: as a side note, I am planning basically the same thing, only he may end up with a touch less camber overall than me and his front sway bar will be a little stiffer than mine.

Also, BMR recommends 0.10 rear per side if you have the FP toe/knuckle bearing - 0.12 without.

OP
OP
krishelnino

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Thanks @shogun32 @Bluemustang, i'll stick to -1.5 camber at the rear then. And for the rear toe, I have the FP toe/knuckle bearing so don't want to go beyond 0.10.

Also, does the front toe make any difference between 0 to 0.05 ? What are you guys running for street use.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Thanks @shogun32 @Bluemustang, i'll stick to -1.5 camber at the rear then. And for the rear toe, I have the FP toe/knuckle bearing so don't want to go beyond 0.10.

Also, does the front toe make any difference between 0 to 0.05 ? What are you guys running for street use.
It will make a slight difference, yes. 0.05 will make it less twitchy but a little slower response. Either is a fine setting for street use. I run 0.00. It's a preference thing to be honest.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
It will make a slight difference, yes. 0.05 will make it less twitchy but a little slower response. Either is a fine setting for street use. I run 0.00. It's a preference thing to be honest.
What dimensions are you talking about?

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
speaking of front toe i had 2 total degrees of toe out on both sides after installing my steeda lateral links with extended ball joints. yes. 2.0...needless to say my steering felt VERY strange until i got my alignment. felt like the front wheels were on skateboards, LOL

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Yes, the Steeda arms narrow the track ~0.2" per side, which would definitely get you that much toe.
interesting. i was wondering why it changed it that much. initially i thought my tech left the plastic covers on or something or even worse and climbed under to inspect it when i got home it was so bad. i had extended ball joints on my 2012 mustang and don't remember it being nearly that bad after install. never felt a car with steering that weird that didn't have something broken
Sponsored