Sponsored

Race suit for HPDE?

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I was wondering if investing in a fire retardant race suit is worth it for a few HPDE events a year. If so, which do you recommend? I am looking for a budget suit below $500. Thanks!
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I'm not going to say more safety is not better, but IMO for a few light HPDE days on a stock car you don't really need a fire suit nor is it really a good bang for the buck investment.

You're better off investing in some better restraint, especially one with neck protection eg. Hans device than a firesuit. You're far more likely to be involved in the type of incident where you need neck protection vs. fire protection.

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
That's a good point. That was going to be my next question actually, about the Hans device. Thanks!

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
Is a Hans device useful without a 4 point restraint? ie with just a shoulder belt

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Is a Hans device useful without a 4 point restraint? ie with just a shoulder belt
No you need at a minimum a 4 point belt system, that's why I mentioned a restraint system *with* HANS device.

Schroth makes a quick fit system that bolts into the OEM belt mounting points and can be integrated to a HANS device.

Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Agree on the posts above. Fires in stock cars with stock fuel plumbing are very, very, very rare. You are far more likely to have an impact. There are H&N systems that don't require a 4- or 6-pt harness. I don't have direct experience with them (I have a HANS, because my track car has 6-point harnesses ... and I really miss it when driving on track in the GT350R).

I have one from my very occasional competitive racing involvement, and I sometimes wear it at HPDEs. I mostly wear it because, while it sort of looks douchey at a DE, I'd feel really stupid if I did have a fire and I wasn't wearing a piece of gear I already own just because it looks douchey. That said, I wouldn't buy one for the occasional track day (and I did 5+ years of track events in much older, higher-mileage cars without a fire suit before I started racing and bought one).

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
If you are concerned about fire, wear long sleeved cotton shirts. No synthetic, they melt to the skin. As stated before a Schroth bolt in 4 point with Hans is much more effective.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Hi
For 500$ no suit is worth it.
Agreed with some of the previous comments.
I would invest in safety gears.
However
You might want to consider some long sleeve shirt (100$)
with fire retardant technology.
Also be sure to wear jeans.

For the belts. DO NOT USE A 4 POINT IN THE CAR UNLESS has the antisubmarine technology (ASM) by Schroth (quickfit pro)

4 point alone is dangerous. 3 point is way safer.

I got my suit recently after few months of time trials. I got the OMP. But my advice : find a place where you can try some.
Like a dress botnall the size are the same.

Last 2 info
Gloves (100$): having gloves without a racesuit for fire purposes is senseless.
But gloves help for grip and absorb sweat so nice in case of summer or..when is supercold :)
Under Helmet (70$) : a balaclavas is always a good idea. Sweat gets absorb (so your helmet stink less lol) and neck and head is protected in case of fire.
Hope this help
Screenshot_20200518-075414.png

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
One modification to the post above, in my opinion: gloves do matter even without a suit. Long-sleeve shirts and cotton pants offer marginal protection, better than nothing and much better than nylon/polyester or other synthetic fabrics.

But - the gloves could be critical. If there IS a fire (especially after an impact), you may have to put your hands on hot metal to pull yourself out of the car. Racing gloves can give you protection in that scenario without sacrificing good feel while driving (and even improving your grip on the wheel so you can drive relaxed - no white knuckles on track!).

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Thanks for the replies everyone. Since I do not have a roll cage nor a 4 or 6 point harness I will just have to rely on the regular safety systems in the car (three point plus airbag). Looks like I'll invest in gloves and a balaclava for now.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Thanks for the replies everyone. Since I do not have a roll cage nor a 4 or 6 point harness I will just have to rely on the regular safety systems in the car (three point plus airbag). Looks like I'll invest in gloves and a balaclava for now.
As mentioned Schroth makes a 4 point that works with a HANS device and also plugs into the OEM seatbelt points so no need for a roll cage.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Adding to the fire retardant racing gloves and balaclava, I would get a pair (or2) of Nomex fire-retardant sox and good pair of racing shoes (F-retard). You could add a nomex undershirt-turtle neck which will provide extra protection in case you make a big noise on the track and have difficulty extracting yourself. You will boil in a racing suit and it just adds to fatigue, which is the number 1 problem to avoid.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
Fire retardant racing gloves are a good idea for two reasons. First they help with grip and second, most importantly, as demonstrated in another thread where a car caught on fire while driving in a HPDE, if the driver had been wearing gloves, she could have opened the hood and made it easier for the fire brigade to properly put extinguishers on the flame itself. The Hans device is the best advice with the proper Schroth harness system. When I was racing that was the single best investment I ever made. I know of a driver who went out without his Hans for a practice session, spun and hurt his neck. Could have killed him.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
As @EFI and @Flyhalf both mentioned, get the Schroth Quick Fit Pro.

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)