rdisatell75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen several guys ask about this so I decided to do a write up. When you upgrade your chin spoiler to the RTR, PP1, PP2, or Roush you also should upgrade your lower shield (Part # JR3Z-17626-B) as well. It’s the plastic piece the covers the underside of the car. If you don't, you will have some small gaps like in the first and second pictures. These gaps aren't a major problem but there are some issues with possibly air getting caught on those exposed areas and possibly pulling down on the piece and it could come off possibly at higher speeds. Also just the fact that I had almost 8 screws of the 18 that held that piece on left over after I put my RTR (knockoff) splitter on. Picture 3 is a comparison of the 2 pieces.

Modifications: I had to drill 4 holes in the other plastic shroud that covers the oil pan. The new lower shield had 4 holes where I assume some plastic push pins attach and hold those 2 pieces together. It was super easy, once I had the lower shield in place I used a sharpie to mark where the holes needed to be then removed the 4 7mm screws and pulled the piece off. You don't have to remove the lower shield, just remove the the 4 screws and pull down at the back then you can slide the piece out. Pics 5, 6, and 7. Then I used a 3/8' drill bit to drill the holes. You could use a smaller bit but just make sure you get the right size push pins which can be bought at Autozone or Oreillys. You can see in picture 3 that the new shield has some air channels, obviously to help guide air toward the brakes on the PP1 and 2 cars. There is another slight difference in the PP and non PP cars. The fender liners are different in that area to. I think I am just going to trim mine to fit. Not because I want those air channels to cool my brakes but more so that air isn't pulling on that area of the fender liner. All that holds that thing in is those plastic push pins. I will also be drilling a few more holes where I can to help add some more support in that area. You just have to be careful as there isn’t much plastic there and more holes can actually make the situation worse.

Items not needed: No additional screws are needed and they are all utilized once the new piece is installed. The 2 flaps on the stock lower shield (picture 4) that goes in front of the tires are not needed on the new piece. You can see in picture 8 below that there is a hole with no push pin, that is where the air channel is and that piece will be trimmed out when I can get around to it.

The last 2 pictures are the finished product, no more gaps, and no leftover screws. I also cleaned the fender liners before reinstalling the wheels. Figured I would throw that in there for all you detail/clean freaks!
1.jpg
2.jpg
20200327_152446.jpg
20200327_154803.jpg
20200327_155525.jpg
20200327_160145.jpg
20200327_160248.jpg
20200327_154810.jpg
20200327_155508.jpg
20200327_155515.jpg
Sponsored

matt16z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
"Modifications: I had to drill 4 holes in the other plastic shroud that covers the oil pan. "

What did you do with these 4 holes after? Are there places to insert push pins or something?

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
"Modifications: I had to drill 4 holes in the other plastic shroud that covers the oil pan. "

What did you do with these 4 holes after? Are there places to insert push pins or something?
You use push pins to secure the belly pan onto the plastic piece, that's why you need to drill the holes on the plastic piece.

Follow this thread and see post #1
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...extension-lower-k-brace-install-guide.100800/

If you purchase the lower cross member and the plastic insulator as referenced in that post, you need not drill any holes.

zworld

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zane
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
This chin spoiler is the same as I bought on ebay and it came with adapter pieces so you don't need the new belly pan. 160.00 and comes with adapter pieces. You save 160.00 by net having to purchase the new belly pan.

Tyeayo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
This chin spoiler is the same as I bought on ebay and it came with adapter pieces so you don't need the new belly pan. 160.00 and comes with adapter pieces. You save 160.00 by net having to purchase the new belly pan.
Tell me more....I bought a chin spoiler off ebay, the ikonmotorsport r spec one....opened the box to check for damage and it had to 2 plastic sections, maybe a foot and a half wide if I remember right....were these the adapters? I just ordered a belly pan and was going to wait to install till it got delivered, but would much rather go with using the adapters you speak of, if that's in fact what I have

Sponsored

zworld

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zane
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Sure read my chin spoiler thread, there was a guy that had installed mine before I got my new bellypan, I was able to cancel that order, woo hoo. Yes it sounds like you have the adapters like me and the other guy. Send your belly pan back.

zworld

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zane
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Tell me more....I bought a chin spoiler off ebay, the ikonmotorsport r spec one....opened the box to check for damage and it had to 2 plastic sections, maybe a foot and a half wide if I remember right....were these the adapters? I just ordered a belly pan and was going to wait to install till it got delivered, but would much rather go with using the adapters you speak of, if that's in fact what I have
Yes those are the adapters.

zworld

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zane
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Got any pics of these? Anywhere to get the adapters other than buying the splitter?
They come with this particular chin spoiler.

zworld

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zane
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
The difference between the standard lip and the PP1 lip is very subtle. I’m happier with the slightly more aggressive front end now but it was a chunk of $ For the lip, pan and shield....and a not insignificant amount of hassle for a barely discernible difference in looks.
D240DDC3-0FF5-4DE5-BF3E-720E245029B0.jpeg
Sponsored