Sponsored

Help identifying this part left side of trunk and help locate rattle/buzzing sound

DaveN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Convertible Eco Premium
Vehicle Showcase
20200512_225535.jpg
My 17 conv just started making a rattle/buzzing sound coming from the left rear of my backseat trunk area. I just can't pinpoint it. I found this and it does have like a rattling sound to it when I tap on it. The crazy thing is the buzzing sound is only when the top is up. Can anyone identify this part? It has as cable leading up under the rear deck lid. Also this buzzing sound, anyone else with this problem.
Sponsored

Sound Wave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary Limited Edition MT
Vehicle Showcase
It is hard to get a feeling of where that is, but from the look of that picture, it looks like part of the trunk lock actuator system.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
Yep it is, looks like it’s where the physical key goes in for manual boot release.

If I’m right then you can get to the other side of it (interior side) by pulling the rear seat side bolster to one side and check to see if there’s any issue there. There’s a diagram in the owners manual of where the key slot is.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Yep it is, looks like it’s where the physical key goes in for manual boot release.

If I’m right then you can get to the other side of it (interior side) by pulling the rear seat side bolster to one side and check to see if there’s any issue there. There’s a diagram in the owners manual of where the key slot is.
This is the correct answer.
Getting to it from the inside is easier said than done though...

OP
OP

DaveN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. Will check my manual before posting next time. For sure going to invest in a service manual. Need pictures to take things apart looking for the rattle/buzzing sound.

Sponsored

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
Thank you. Will check my manual before posting next time. For sure going to invest in a service manual. Need pictures to take things apart looking for the rattle/buzzing sound.
lot might not be the source of the buzzing but it’s an area to check. Even give it some lubricant and a dozen turns with the key in as that might help.

OP
OP

DaveN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
20200514_141529_copy_1612x1209.jpg
I think it might be this carpeted panel. Need to figure away to fasten this panel down better. Does rattle/buzz when I tap on it

OP
OP

DaveN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In this photo the weight of the top is enough to stop the rattle/buzzing sound.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
The trunk carpet/pad? I'd try putting something like a fiber insulation under it.

OP
OP

DaveN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
20200515_101718_copy_1612x1209.jpg
I identified and fixed the annoying rattle/buzzing sound. It was these plastic retainers that came loose. Just needed to push a few back in and problem was solved. Few hours looking for the problem and 10 seconds to fix. Was interesting to see how Ford made a channel and drain tube to collect water from entering the car. Thanks everyone!

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
You might want to check and clean that drain occasionally. They've been known to clog and wet the interior. There are drains in the front cowl as well. Especially if it's parked outside.
Sponsored