Sponsored

GT500 vs C8 Corvette Z51 drag and roll race.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Had a hood tach on a big block Ranchero that was my summer daily back in the '90s. It was pretty cool until it was raining hard, when you could hardly see it.

Another cool vehicle I should have kept.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Yep, I had a few of those back in the 70's!
And it was a BIG deal back then, too as I'm sure you remember, Mike. For the younger generation who are unfamiliar, with VERY few exceptions, vehicles didn't come with tachometers back then so it created a market for Sun.

I bet they saved a few motors over the years as well...loved every one I ever bought.

BUT Mike, we're all showing our age. :-)

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Still have a Sun in an old car, and it still works like a charm....

Sponsored

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
I hate that Corvette speedo jumping 8,9,10 mph at a time. Come on Chevy, pick up the refresh rate! Sheesh. That would annoy me. I love the C7, esp. in Z06 form, but there's just something about the C8 that doesn't do it for me. The C8 was quicker from a roll vs. the GT500 than I thought it would be.
Totally agree that processor on that is so cheap.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
On another video made by the same people, they race that same white C8 vs. a '20 Charger Hellcat widebody. Boy, a lot of good that 707 hp does when it has 4,600 lbs to lug around. On the roll race it barely pulled against the 495 hp Vette, even then the Hellcat didn't catch the Vette until 110 mph.

For comparison - in the roll race, by the time the Vette hit 120 mph, the Hellcat was going 124 mph, and the GT500 was at 134 mph.

Obviously, the Hellcat got trounced from a dig, no surprises there, except that it never even started to catch up to the Vette, unlike the GT500. It spun the tires through 2nd gear and by the time the Hellcat was at 60 mph, the Vette was already going 72 mph.

The new Z06 is going to be an awesome performer.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
On another video made by the same people, they race that same white C8 vs. a '20 Charger Hellcat widebody. Boy, a lot of good that 707 hp does when it has 4,600 lbs to lug around. On the roll race it barely pulled against the 495 hp Vette, even then the Hellcat didn't catch the Vette until 110 mph.

For comparison - in the roll race, by the time the Vette hit 120 mph, the Hellcat was going 124 mph, and the GT500 was at 134 mph.

Obviously, the Hellcat got trounced from a dig, no surprises there, except that it never even started to catch up to the Vette, unlike the GT500. It spun the tires through 2nd gear and by the time the Hellcat was at 60 mph, the Vette was already going 72 mph.

Yeah at higher speeds the horsepower starts going towards battling drag instead of weight when acceleration is negligible (stating the obvious, I know :)).

OP
OP
Classic Lover

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.

Both are low 11 sec on the stock tires, so really no surprise. Charger is just a big rwd sedan. C8 is walking near if not on super car territory. The C8 is right where the 707 Hellcat was in 2015 in terms of 1/4 mile performance. Granted the Hellcat is quite a lot quicker on a tire. But for being the base vette the C8 is insane. All at around 65-90 grand I should add.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Dang. The 500 is a beast. But we knew that. Super car in pony car clothes. The Vette is nice for a few seconds and then it’s all over. With the weight, the 500 needed the power it has, which is a ton. But it also needs more tire. Clearly traction limited. But... I didn’t see wheel-in in this video? Looked like it was launched kind of soft. We’ve all seen this thing squat with launch control and spin just a bit before tearing up the road in a hurry. Didn’t see that here. Great video. As expected results. Vette starts out well, but the 500 is too much. A mid 10 second mustang vs. low 11 sec Vette. Now hopefully we Get the Kr vs z06 next.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I think there will be a very long wait for the C8 Z06. Probably late 2021 or early 2022. The C8 launch has pretty much been a disaster. There were hoping to sell 40K+ C8’s the first year but will be lucky to sell half that. I can see GM delaying the Z06 until Covid is in the rear view mirror and the economy starts to improve.

The01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I’m just here for all the ppl I told a while ago that the C8 stock vs GT 500 stock would be similar ETs at a track which goes to show how well the C8 does and meeting on the street will be a bad day for a Gt500 without a tire. So many fan boys were so hurt that this new GT5 will be the next big thing since the LS1 of the car world and so advanced because DCT will make up for the lack of driver mod associated with previous generations. Also added C8Z will far surpass the GT5 stats. Only thing worse of an idea is a Hellcat. All the weight making it harder for parts to hold up.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I’m just here for all the ppl I told a while ago that the C8 stock vs GT 500 stock would be similar ETs at a track which goes to show how well the C8 does and meeting on the street will be a bad day for a Gt500 without a tire. So many fan boys were so hurt that this new GT5 will be the next big thing since the LS1 of the car world and so advanced because DCT will make up for the lack of driver mod associated with previous generations. Also added C8Z will far surpass the GT5 stats. Only thing worse of an idea is a Hellcat. All the weight making it harder for parts to hold up.
Nothing you said makes any sense.

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
The little C8 gets it. Hell with bolt ons and maybe some e in the tank who knows.
I love Ford but I often question some of the things they go with on higher end stuff. Like maybe they should go a 335 tire in the rear like a Z06 and ZR1....Get rid of that delay in the DCT or offer a variant that has these more dig friendly set ups....still I'd own the 500 before just about anything else but I'm dying to see the new Z06....
Sponsored