Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay m
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey,

So for all my PP1 guys out there,

Obviously Ford got cheap or something and only had our front calipers painted in black with red wording. The rear is just grey..

So, for the rear, are those able to be painted, or do you need something over it to be painted?

(I obviously don’t know wtf i’m talking about)

I want to get them both painted red for when I get new wheels.

thanks!
Sponsored

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Hey,

So for all my PP1 guys out there,

Obviously Ford got cheap or something and only had our front calipers painted in black with red wording. The rear is just grey..

So, for the rear, are those able to be painted, or do you need something over it to be painted?

(I obviously don’t know wtf i’m talking about)

I want to get them both painted red for when I get new wheels.

thanks!
You can paint them or get some caliper covers

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
Would you just recommend i put covers on both of them? Or just paint
I wouldn't recommend covers at all, especially at the front since they handle 70% of the braking. Paint would be the better option. I've painted my 4 piston brakes couple of years ago. The paint held up well at the front but at the rear it has chipped off pretty bad. I recently upgraded to 6-piston Brembos from Bullitt and they came prepainted red. For the rears, i was too lazy to get them painted again so i installed a set of MGP caliper covers only because i got them cheap from a member on here.

OP
OP
KT3

KT3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay m
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I wouldn't recommend covers at all, especially at the front since they handle 70% of the braking. Paint would be the better option. I've painted my 4 piston brakes couple of years ago. The paint held up well at the front but at the rear it has chipped off pretty bad. I recently upgraded to 6-piston Brembos from Bullitt and they came prepainted red. For the rears, i was too lazy to get them painted again so i installed a set of MGP caliper covers only because i got them cheap from a member on here.

Ahahah damn alright. i’ll paint them for sure when i get new wheels in a few months hopefully ...

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
You have pretty calipers, paint them. imo Mine turned out alright. Take your time, do it right, and don't regret it. I see some that people rush or don't have a dust free environment and don't look all that great, mine turned out really good and actually damn smooth. I am very happy with the 50 I paid in material (G2)

The rears though, they are going to be bumpy in texture, because well, unless you grind the cast down or do like 20 layers to make it smooth enough.

Here are a few pictures, advice, buy some foam brushes from lowes for like 3 bucks and a pair of nice brushes from hobby lobby for 3 bucks for hard crevices.

I see covers and I just cant get behind them, the $ spent, to look cheap on a expensive car. I wish I would of went red myself though, too late now. Make sure you pick the color you really want!

Painted calipers > > covers.

IMG_0371.JPG
IMG_0364.JPG
IMG_0373.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I used G2 to paint the ones on my Fusion lol

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm with he above, paint them. It is a beautiful brake so take advantage of that. I use a primer, paint and clear and use the fan nozzle for better application. Use very light coats especially at the start. Paint doesn't like to stick to metal as well as it does paint...light coats. Prep is KEY. Brake cleaner, soap and water, alcohol wipe down. I use q-tips and some of my wife's make-up remover pads with the alcohol. I've taken them off as well as done them on the car. To me it's simply not worth removing them because you can paint what you can see while they are mounted. Just remover the caliper, rotor and then reattach the caliper. I did mine last night turned out great IMO. If you want you can go as far as to remove them and have them powder coated. They will have to be taken completely apart of course. Enjoy :)
brake.jpg
fr.jpg

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
I'm with he above, paint them. It is a beautiful brake so take advantage of that. I use a primer, paint and clear and use the fan nozzle for better application. Use very light coats especially at the start. Paint doesn't like to stick to metal as well as it does paint...light coats. Prep is KEY. Brake cleaner, soap and water, alcohol wipe down. I use q-tips and some of my wife's make-up remover pads with the alcohol. I've taken them off as well as done them on the car. To me it's simply not worth removing them because you can paint what you can see while they are mounted. Just remover the caliper, rotor and then reattach the caliper. I did mine last night turned out great IMO. If you want you can go as far as to remove them and have them powder coated. They will have to be taken completely apart of course. Enjoy :)
brake.jpg
fr.jpg
That looks amazing, just like it came from factory !

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
You have pretty calipers, paint them. imo Mine turned out alright. Take your time, do it right, and don't regret it. I see some that people rush or don't have a dust free environment and don't look all that great, mine turned out really good and actually damn smooth. I am very happy with the 50 I paid in material (G2)

The rears though, they are going to be bumpy in texture, because well, unless you grind the cast down or do like 20 layers to make it smooth enough.

Here are a few pictures, advice, buy some foam brushes from lowes for like 3 bucks and a pair of nice brushes from hobby lobby for 3 bucks for hard crevices.

I see covers and I just cant get behind them, the $ spent, to look cheap on a expensive car. I wish I would of went red myself though, too late now. Make sure you pick the color you really want!

Painted calipers > > covers.
So far my Continental Decals are holding up well still on my base unpainted coarse surfaced calipers. I am sure with the smoother surface you have now after painting, they probably were easier to apply. I had to rub a lot to get as much of the decal to adhere to the rough surface.

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
That looks amazing, just like it came from factory !
Thanks! Unfortunately, I have just decided I am removing all the brakes front and back for powder coating..haha.
Sponsored