Sponsored

Maintenance on a Sai Li return fuel system

drumstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Since this kit does not have a filter, what have you been doing for maintenance?
Sponsored

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I would recommend running some type of fuel system cleaner like royal purple maxclean every oil change. If you have a lot of miles on the sai li it probably wouldn't hurt to have your injectors cleaned and flow tested. This was one of the reasons i went with a fore system once i got a built motor. You get a proper fuel filter and each pump has its own pre-filter (sock). I figured the sai li would at least have that but i was wrong. Knowing what i know now i would have just saved up for the fore in the first place and not wasted 1k dollars. It is a pretty decent bang for the buck system if you are looking to make 800 whp and under on e85 though.

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I didn't do any maintenance on my sai li kit and never once had any issues (probably had it for 10k miles or so). It was a great fuel system for under 800 whp. definitely not a waste of money, if you plan on staying below 800 whp i dont know why you wouldnt get this kit and save some money.

I am selling that kit now, I have upgraded to the Sai Li triple pump return with rails. This kit is very nice and comes with the fuel filter and socks on each pump and still a lot cheaper than a fore system. My injectors were pretty filthy (mostly dirt and road grime) but i had them cleaned and flow tested while i was swapping fuel rails.

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I am not sure how this is seen as lacking filtration? Its an OEM GT350 hat designed to go for a hundred thousand miles by Ford. It has socks down in the bottom of the plastic housing. Ive only had mine for a few hundred miles so far so I cant talk with too much experience. But i knew i was looking for a whipple, E85, about 750rwhp and This system fit the bill. As long as you know and arent trying to push it beyond its means.

Sponsored

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
I am not sure how this is seen as lacking filtration? Its an OEM GT350 hat designed to go for a hundred thousand miles by Ford. It has socks down in the bottom of the plastic housing. Ive only had mine for a few hundred miles so far so I cant talk with too much experience. But i knew i was looking for a whipple, E85, about 750rwhp and This system fit the bill. As long as you know and arent trying to push it beyond its means.
The gt350 uses a inline filter that meets Bosch injector specifications, the pre-pump filter does not meet any injector manufacturer specifications bc it only filters out large particles that could damage the pumps. It's the job of the in line filter to clean up stuff that could dirty the injectors.

Stock GT's have the filter built into the basket so they dont use a inline filter

to the OP, have them sonic cleaned. Keep a eye on your STFT1/ STFT2/LTFT1/LTFT2, if you noticed they start going more and more positive, it's time to clean them. I ran that same pump on my daily for about a year and never had a issue, but you are always one dirty tank of fuel away from injectors clogging or getting stuck open

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The gt350 uses a inline filter that meets Bosch injector specifications, the pre-pump filter does not meet any injector manufacturer specifications bc it only filters out large particles that could damage the pumps. It's the job of the in line filter to clean up stuff that could dirty the injectors.

Stock GT's have the filter built into the basket so they dont use a inline filter

to the OP, have them sonic cleaned. Keep a eye on your STFT1/ STFT2/LTFT1/LTFT2, if you noticed they start going more and more positive, it's time to clean them. I ran that same pump on my daily for about a year and never had a issue, but you are always one dirty tank of fuel away from injectors clogging or getting stuck open
Learn something new everyday!

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Learn something new everyday!
yep, most injector themselves have a basket in them as a last line of defense against particles, but they are easily clogged bc of their size, they're not meant to be the primary source of filtration...

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
yep, most injector themselves have a basket in them as a last line of defense against particles, but they are easily clogged bc of their size, they're not meant to be the primary source of filtration...
I remembered learning a while ago that S550 GTs did not have traditional in line fuel filters and just used the basket and socks on the pumps. I assumed it was the same for the GT350.

zrwhat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I bought a used Sai Li that I was in the process of converting to twin DW400’s so I took the basket apart and this is what I found. It wouldn't hurt to clean occasionally I’m guessing.
E767BB13-D97C-41BE-8355-22DBC739EAD1.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I bought a used Sai Li that I was in the process of converting to twin DW400’s so I took the basket apart and this is what I found. It would hurt to clean occasionally I’m guessing.
E767BB13-D97C-41BE-8355-22DBC739EAD1.jpeg
I pmed you about what your doing.

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
I remembered learning a while ago that S550 GTs did not have traditional in line fuel filters and just used the basket and socks on the pumps. I assumed it was the same for the GT350.
GT have non-serviceable canister filter, its the big black thing next to the pump. They have a sock under the pump, and a post pump filter right next to the pump. Since the Shelby hat uses that spit for a second pump, they had to add a in line filter.

I bought a used Sai Li that I was in the process of converting to twin DW400’s so I took the basket apart and this is what I found. It would hurt to clean occasionally I’m guessing.
Thats all the stuff that did NOT make it into the fuel system, so that gunk was sitting at the bottom. Anything that made it past the fuel pump sock will have already passed through your lines and your injectors or returned back into the bucket via the return hose. Cleaning that bottom of the bucket will do you no good...

zrwhat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I never installed the assembly in my car, just found the gunk disassembling it for the twin DW400's. I ended up just getting the DW X2 hat which I am in the process of installing the 400's in and wrapping up my fuel system. Just have to figure out the front passenger side connection at the Edelbrock rail to get around the Heater Core metal inlet tube/hose (Supertight fit).
Untitled-1.jpg
IMG_6876.JPEG