Sponsored

Oil Filter Gasket Failed... New Drift Car!

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
If you have the old filter type, check your filter before pushing the car people
Or maybe Ford should do the right thing and recall these cars. Losing an engine is one thing, but you're playing with people's lives when the car can suddenly catch fire. The car was last serviced by the dealership and look at what happened.

It's absurd to me that Ford knows they had a problem, fixed it in production on the Feb (or March?) 2017+ cars, and they flat out refuse to retrofit older cars.
Sponsored

Deleted member 37397

I can't wait to hear Matt's reaction ! I follow him on youtube, not religiously. But he is the epitome of meticulous when it comes to taking care of his cars........ part of the reason why I follow him. I'm the same way.
I did Follow til he sold the car. His videos were way too long and put me to sleep.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
I just want to be sure of something here.
Those metal oil filteRs are the ones that come loose correct? NOT the plastic canister filters.
Correct.

But there have been problems with some of the newer cannister filters collapsing internally.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Yikes that is at TheFirm here in Florida, my Avatar pic is just coming out of the turn she pulled over at. @16Kobra you see this??

Deleted member 37397

Correct.

But there have been problems with some of the newer cannister filters collapsing internally.
I believe they changed to a stronger one with steel mesh inside to strengthen it.
Edit - Updated with more info
C2289293-0E49-4080-BCAC-A5C4F0636683.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The dude seems pretty cavalier about checking the filter if this is his second go around with the issue....

Sorry to see it happen. Glad all are OK.
It was his second time with this problem. The first time was earlier in the year and it shot straight down so a little smoke but no engine damage. The second time it shot up into the headers which caused the larger fire.

In response to the post regarding Ford should recall the 2016s.... you're not wrong, however, at a business perspective someone has done the math by now and at this rate the vehicle being covered by insurance is greater, risk of law suits are low, your efforts to pursue damages are low, and etc.

Last edited:

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
There's a reason old-school K&N filters have a nut on the end with a safety wire hole, it's required for many race series.

That filter probably sees over 100+ psi periodically and the normal o-ring gasket design used for spin on oil filters is actually dogshit because it's only captured on one side - on the block/oil cooler side it's just flat so there's no support. If it's not under good compression, it's gonna walk.

I like the hose clamp idea from above too.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I didnā€™t call for a recall.

If I did, it wouldnā€™t be for some dumbass reason related to people not being able to torque something, with the torque specs printed in 25 size font right on the thing being torqued.

I wonā€™t get into other reasons for a recall on certain models of the ā€˜15/ā€˜16 due to the shitstorm that would inevitably follow.
@Tank the second paragraph was for post#17 and it wasn't intended for you. My apologies if it came across that way.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Or maybe Ford should do the right thing and recall these cars. Losing an engine is one thing, but you're playing with people's lives when the car can suddenly catch fire. The car was last serviced by the dealership and look at what happened.

It's absurd to me that Ford knows they had a problem, fixed it in production on the Feb (or March?) 2017+ cars, and they flat out refuse to retrofit older cars.
I donā€™t want my car recalled for that.

And Limp Mode is just as dangerous.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
@Tank the second paragraph was for post#17 and it wasn't intended for you. My apologies if it came across that way.
It was his second time with this problem. The first time was earlier in the year and it shot straight down so a little smoke but no engine damage. The second time it shot up into the headers which caused the larger fire.

In response to the post regarding Ford should recall the 2016s.... you're not wrong, however, at a business perspective someone has done the math by now and at this rate the vehicle being covered by insurance is greater, risk of law suits are low, your efforts to pursue damages are low, and etc.
Thanks, I re-read your post and attempted to delete mine but you got it nonetheless!!

Itā€™s all good.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This is why ya'll gotta get those oil filters off that damn block :)

I run a remote setup that eliminates the likelihood of it rattling off. Also a lot easier to change.

upload_2020-5-14_11-51-3.png