Sponsored

Centre console flipped for RHD?

BLITZM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA
Nobody likes those white tail lights, but at least they look bit better in this image - "stole" it from the UK Mustang thread.
DSC01132_resize25.jpg
Sponsored

BLITZM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA
Am I over reacting to this or are other RHD'ers also disappointed?
No, I don't think you are over reacting. My issue is that cup holders won't be useable for those that buy manual cars, bottles, cups will just get in the way.

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
I actually think the white lights look really nice in person (if not better than the red). Perhaps you need to see them for yourself, but I don't think you'll be complaining after you've compared them with your own eyes.

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
Firstly, good! RHD drivers won't need to reach further for gear changes.
Well, unless you want to actually use the cupholders...

And I guess you don't need to use the handbrake to do hill-starts any more, but still...

And the mirrors - why for the love of god could they have not just made them bigger overall - still rectangular in profile. I doubt anyone would have noticed that to this day. It's the awkward teardrop shape that doesn't fit with the rest of the car.

Sponsored

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback

So the indicator controls are on the wrong side...

Can't see the bonnet release cable down the right side of the inner guard in this shot so I'm concerned the release lever hasn't been moved as well. To be fair, the photo doesn't show the left side so we can't be sure.

These are all small things but they are all about the driver's interaction with the car so important in regards to your overall experience with the car day to day.

These clear lights I can live with and I bet we see some US owners changing their's to be a bit different stateside. On this silver car they actually look quite good and even on the red they not bad.

Haz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FPV GS Superchanged V8
I've been looking more closely at the interior photos and I can now see the shifter is not off-set to the left, it is in the middle.

attachment.jpg

It's the position of the handbrake that gives that impression.

This means two things;

Firstly, good! RHD drivers won't need to reach further for gear changes.

On the other hand it should have been even easier for Ford to do the job correctly in the first place. Just mirror image the console and allow another 10cm of handbrake cable.

Am I over reacting to this or are other RHD'ers also disappointed?
It would be a pain if you gotta reach over the other side of the console to lift/release the handbrake, do it once and do it right FORD!

Haz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FPV GS Superchanged V8
Well, unless you want to actually use the cupholders...

And I guess you don't need to use the handbrake to do hill-starts any more, but still...

And the mirrors - why for the love of god could they have not just made them bigger overall - still rectangular in profile. I doubt anyone would have noticed that to this day. It's the awkward teardrop shape that doesn't fit with the rest of the car.
I'd be rippin those rubbish mirrors off and puttin U S spec ones on straight up:paddle::usa:

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
There was an interesting article in the Weekend Australian by Philip King about Queensland company Performax who have been converting cars to RHD for 25 years.

They do such a good job they will be able to bring in the Ford F250 and convert them to such a high standard that meets every ADR and so they can bring in larger numbers than the usual low volume imports.

I'm thinking that if the Mustang does come in half done as we fear and if enough of us are on board, we could get Performax to make a correct RHD centre console, move the hand brake and change over the indicator stalk etc.

Some thing to consider...

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
More good stuff we'll miss out on...

"The line lock function will be available 5.0 Mustangs only and most exports, though some countries like Australia that don’t allow vehicles to be equipped with such options will not be receiving them on their Mustangs."

Not Ford's fault this time, just our nanny state pollies 'looking after' us. Don't get me wrong, I do not condone circle work on public roads, but a line lock would be good to warm the tyres for the hillclimb and similar motorsport events.

From StangTV review. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/stangtv-review-more-3765.html

Sponsored

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
I'm kind of happy we don't get the line lock feature. More actually skill required. Any dork can press a button...

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
I'd be rippin those rubbish mirrors off and puttin U S spec ones on straight up:paddle::usa:
I think the US ones would meet our requirements anyway, judging by mirrors on other cars we have here already. Not that that's going to make it more likely we get them though, but a swap shouldn't be grounds for a defect.

Haz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FPV GS Superchanged V8
I think the US ones would meet our requirements anyway, judging by mirrors on other cars we have here already. Not that that's going to make it more likely we get them though, but a swap shouldn't be grounds for a defect.
That would be right for sure:amen:

mustang51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Toyota Camry
Everything I've read so far indicates Ford won't be reversing the centre console for RHD and leaving the handbrake on the left side and cup holders to the right.

I find this hard to comprehend as surely it wouldn't be hard or expensive to get this crucial driver interface right.

What do others think or have have you seen any info that suggests they will flip the console?

If Ford doesn't reverse the console for RHD, is this something for the aftermarket to address? Could be possible to scan the LHD console and digitally flip it and manufacture??
I think I will wait to see one in a showroom before I get whipped up about it. I have see speculation like this before on new models and its turned out bullshit.
Sponsored