Base 6-Speaker System Upgrade Recommendation

Justa2v

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
How big a difference did the amp make with the stock speakers? Do you have a link to the speakers and the line out converter you used?
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I swapped all 6 with two sets of Pioneer D-Series speakers, because they have a low end response down to 30Hz without really needing a Sub to hear/feel lower frequencies. Most very expensive speakers, like Focal and even JBL only respond down to 40-60Hz, and tend to have a more shrill top end. The assumption with these speakers is you are going to install a Sub-woofer. If you want to keep it stock with a 6-speaker setup, get a quality set of speakers that go down to 30Hz response.

The second thing you MUST do to get that lower end base, is use Forscan to equalize your existing stereos' programmed frequency cut off to the rear speakers.

This is a link to my installation to show you how I did everything. Read through very carefully to understand why I did everything I did, because the rear deck speakers ARE NOT direct replacement and require some modification to the rear deck cover.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/pioneer-d-series-upgrade.126069/

After this install, the stereo immediately sounded far superior to the stock stereo, and easily rivals the 9-speaker setup, and in some ways better without the annoying center channel to deal with.

After this was done, I upgraded the head unit. This head unit is adequate, since I like the navigation. However, the sound quality is only a tiny bit better than the stock stereo, The real difference in getting better sound is the speaker upgrade and Forscan programming.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/phoenix-px6-review.133580/

Keep in mind just because a speaker is rated down to 30hz doesn't mean it is a usable frequency range. It may respond but it could be down 15-20db from flat. A 6.5" speaker that isn't ported nor with some other bass attenuation is going to have a huge problem at that frequency. Most music is recorded in the 40-60hz range down low but its the subharmonics that can go lower. A C note for a grand piano can go down to 32hz, but rarely played. The issue I had with the Pioneers with the OEM 6spkr amp is they are inefficient at 84db per 1 watt. Other than that I am very interested in the Pioneers.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Keep in mind just because a speaker is rated down to 30hz doesn't mean it is a usable frequency range. It may respond but it could be down 15-20db from flat. A 6.5" speaker that isn't ported nor with some other bass attenuation is going to have a huge problem at that frequency. Most music is recorded in the 40-60hz range down low but its the subharmonics that can go lower. A C note for a grand piano can go down to 32hz, but rarely played. The issue I had with the Pioneers with the OEM 6spkr amp is they are inefficient at 84db per 1 watt. Other than that I am very interested in the Pioneers.
Well, in my experience with this setup, something has really got me perplexed. The smooth sound quality is very impressive. They are not sharp or shrill at all. I find the Focals in my friends car to be far too bright, with very little bass without his sub turned on. For some reason, once I EQ'd the DSP in the factory stereo, the bass is very good. Not spectacular, but very good. The low rolling notes are solid, and the bass drums are sharp and impacting. It's to the point that since I don't listen to hip-hop at all, I have no need for a sub.
Another thing that has me very perplexed, is these speakers are NOT the most sensitive out there. In fact, I think they're only rated around 84db. Considering the sound I'm getting with the new Phoenix head unit using their MP3 player software, the sound quality really took off to another level. The factory Sync player is terrible by comparison. The volume and clarity is also more than I will ever need, so an amp addition seems moot at this point. For 84db rated speakers, they really are quite good. In fact, some of the best I've heard in this price category. How 84db speakers accomplish this, I have no idea.
There was an immediate jump in sound quality with the original head unit, but once I upgraded to the new head unit, it really made them shine using the better DSP software, yet with the original factory amp/radio behind the console.. If you're looking for a speaker upgrade without wanting to put in an amp, I really think these are some of the best you can get for full range of sound. The Who, Pink Floyd and Phil Collins have never sounded so good in any of my other cars.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, in my experience with this setup, something has really got me perplexed. The smooth sound quality is very impressive. They are not sharp or shrill at all. I find the Focals in my friends car to be far too bright, with very little bass without his sub turned on. For some reason, once I EQ'd the DSP in the factory stereo, the bass is very good. Not spectacular, but very good. The low rolling notes are solid, and the bass drums are sharp and impacting. It's to the point that since I don't listen to hip-hop at all, I have no need for a sub.
Another thing that has me very perplexed, is these speakers are NOT the most sensitive out there. In fact, I think they're only rated around 84db. Considering the sound I'm getting with the new Phoenix head unit using their MP3 player software, the sound quality really took off to another level. The factory Sync player is terrible by comparison. The volume and clarity is also more than I will ever need, so an amp addition seems moot at this point. For 84db rated speakers, they really are quite good. In fact, some of the best I've heard in this price category. How 84db speakers accomplish this, I have no idea.
There was an immediate jump in sound quality with the original head unit, but once I upgraded to the new head unit, it really made them shine using the better DSP software, yet with the original factory amp/radio behind the console.. If you're looking for a speaker upgrade without wanting to put in an amp, I really think these are some of the best you can get for full range of sound. The Who, Pink Floyd and Phil Collins have never sounded so good in any of my other cars.
Great info and really appreciate all your input. How do you like the Phoenix head unit? From my understanding it still uses the OEM amplifier/headunit? How does it make the sound better? Once again...thanks for the info.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Great info and really appreciate all your input. How do you like the Phoenix head unit? From my understanding it still uses the OEM amplifier/headunit? How does it make the sound better? Once again...thanks for the info.
Yes, it uses the original radio behind. It has some software they threw together for using the Sync radio functions, and using the voice activation for making calls, which I really like. However, the original DSP through that software isn't the greatest when you want to listen to MP3 music files. It is very lacking in sound quality, imo. That's if you use the Synch music player software it comes with.

However, the Phoenix unit is Android, so it allows you to use the default Music player app they give you (szchoiceway), or you can install your own Music Player like PowerAmp, etc. Then setup the icon to start the music app of your preference. I actually like the Default Player, because it has large font that my aging eyes can read easily while driving, and it also has a better DSP with basic EQ and a Loudness function.

When you use the aftermarket Default Music player, it has better DSP software, so the sound quality is notably better.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, it uses the original radio behind. It has some software they threw together for using the Sync radio functions, and using the voice activation for making calls, which I really like. However, the original DSP through that software isn't the greatest when you want to listen to MP3 music files. It is very lacking in sound quality, imo. That's if you use the Synch music player software it comes with.

However, the Phoenix unit is Android, so it allows you to use the default Music player app they give you (szchoiceway), or you can install your own Music Player like PowerAmp, etc. Then setup the icon to start the music app of your preference. I actually like the Default Player, because it has large font that my aging eyes can read easily while driving, and it also has a better DSP with basic EQ and a Loudness function.

When you use the aftermarket Default Music player, it has better DSP software, so the sound quality is notably better.
Do you like the Phoenix unit?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Do you like the Phoenix unit?
Personally yes. At first I had all kinds of reservations because I had issues just figuring out the software. I was really hoping the provided Sync software was better for listening to music files, but it really isn't. The default music app they gave is far better. I do use it for making hands free calls though. That part is nice.

The one thing I wish I could do, is program the dials for the heat temp and fan speed instead just using them for radio volume and station adjustment. The reason I say this, is because the touch screen A/C controls are kind of hard to use manually when driving, because it's far too easy to press something else inadvertently. If I want to lower the temp, I tend to accidently hit the Max A/C button...oh well.

Outside of that, I lost the Outside Air Temp reading. So, I got the vertical screen ELM 327 OBDII reader, and downloaded the basic version of Torque App. This allows me to see lots of functions including outside air temp.. It's nice to see outside air temp when driving in cold conditions where black ice may be a problem.

Here's my review of it. I started off hating it, but now really like it, since I have it pretty well setup the way I want.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/phoenix-px6-review.133580/
Sponsored