Sponsored

What happens when there's 2 iPhone/iPods connected to car?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I usually have 1 iPhone connected, but I want to get a new iPod touch, to put in glovebox as a media center/music storage device.

If I have 2 Siri capable devices hooked up, 1 under radio, and 1 in glove box. When you push the Siri button/talk function on the steering wheel, what happens?

ie. play album song, will it make the phone play it under radio? or the glovebox iPod touch Siri?

I have a current iPod nano (non Siri) hooked up, but its old and I want to replace it, just curious if 2 Siri devices will be fighting each other honestly.
Sponsored

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
i know when the wife and i have both phones in the car, if we are listening to the radio on hers but then i want to make a call on mine we go to the bluetooth menu hit the device and hit "media only" i think it is. but there is a way to have one play music and the other be for calls.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! that helps me a little before I drop 200 on a iPod touch, just worried they would fight/clash, i am interested in how that works though

Multitask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 MKZ Hybrid
I have an iPod Touch in my car, (Android for phone) and it never goes to the touch for Siri... but then I don't think I activated it there... it's just for music.
So I would imagine as long as you don't activate Siri for it, it will not work.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thats what I thought too. I bought an iPod touch 7 gen, and I disabled Siri via for it, when phone isn't plugged in, it will play music just fine via the factory voice commands etc. I love it. granted not as nice as Siri it works, play hip hop play list etc.

but if I plug in my iPhone to front usb, and I use the same button for factory talk, even if I have my USB device on the screen on head unit, it always jumps straight to my iPhone for Siri. due to its CarPlay is activated, that's garbage.

So I am taking it back, pulling my little iPod nano out, and I will simply keep music on that, and manually click on the playlist if I ever want to not use phone. Its just a basic complication, where you cant decide which device to use voice commands for, and siri/CarPlay overrides all devices.

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I just put all my music on a USB Memory stick and leave it plugged into one of the USB ports. Sync voice commands work just fine for controlling it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I just put all my music on a USB Memory stick and leave it plugged into one of the USB ports. Sync voice commands work just fine for controlling it.
And you will save a bunch of money. 32gb iPod for $199.00. 256GB flash drive under $50.00

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, I will buy a thumbdrive tomorrow from Walmart or Best Buy and give that a whirl.

does it recognize "play playlist"? not sure how you make a playlist on a thumbdrive.

or

Put all my hip hop songs in a hip hop folder? "car, play album hiphop" if I have the folder with all the songs called hiphop? just thinking how to sort/organize the files.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Alright, I will buy a thumbdrive tomorrow from Walmart or Best Buy and give that a whirl.

does it recognize "play playlist"? not sure how you make a playlist on a thumbdrive.

or

Put all my hip hop songs in a hip hop folder? "car, play album hiphop" if I have the folder with all the songs called hiphop? just thinking how to sort/organize the files.
There are a lot of info on doing this but this one seems pretty complete.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/issues-with-sync-3-and-playlists.1167130/

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I just found a crappy thumb stick to do test, its slow as balls but it seems to work perfectly, I just made "country" "hip hop" etc folders as roots, and tossed songs in there.

Its super easy to work on the touch screen, its weird. I can say Play a song, itl play the song, but if I say play a play list, or play country, it doesn't register the folder name as a playlist and play them all,

I am on MacBook, so I cant use all the programs that ive been finding about making playlist work, but honestly its not even a big deal that voice doesn't work with that, 2 clicks and I have my playlist I made, shuffling or playing anyway.

going to buy a 64gb super small thumb drive tomorrow at Best Buy and redo the whole thumb drive over again. the one I used is garbage and like 8 feet long. but even that crappy one, worked better than the iPod earlier.

gonna see if Best Buy will let me match this tomorrow 7.99 for 32gb

https://www.newegg.com/sandisk-mode...ash drive)-_-sandisk-_-20173401&source=region

Sponsored
OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Bought a 64gb san disk ultra fit, it ran kinda wonky and it was being called "usb device 1" even though I named it Music.

I reformatted it via from fat32 to exfat (I use MacBook) anyway, the new name stuck, and the files seem to load instantly, it doesn't index anymore either, with fat32 it would index each time I started car, now its just instant, with zero with 1k songs.

some albums seem to have art and some others don't, but they all play. Everything works flawless, the voice commands are spot on *play disturbed* bam, every disturbed instantly.

I just wish I could get it to recognize my playlist, its fine though. I stuck all the songs of each playlist in a dedicated folder "hip hop" "rap" etc. if I want a shuffle, can hit play all on songs and crap.

Very happy with that 13 dollars spent.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I have mine set up for CarPlay on my phone and just leave the second phone as a USB device with CarPlay disabled.
Select the second device in the audio sources menu, and calls/nav commands all go through CarPlay.
Sponsored