Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
As long as we didn't see a prototype on the road, it's everybodys guess how the next Mustang will look like. Since Ford has the trend of making the last refresh look hint a lot at the next gen design, we should wait how the final frontend of the 2nd refresh looks like. And if it's true that the next Mustang will still use the platform, I wouldn't expect huge changes on body

My guess out of the blue is that they will lower the frontend even more, increase the grille size, make headlights smaller and give the overall chassis some more blocky lines to give it some retro elements. I will have my own a rendering done soon
I look forward to your rendering, Ace :like:

Indeed, we'll need to wait to see those first prototypes before we get a good "feel" for what S650 might look like. And, given it won't be a clean sheet design (lets face it, not many cars are these days), it's going to be difficult to tell the difference bet S550 and S650 under the camo. The only reason we'll know it's S650 is that it'll be heavily camo'd, unlike the Mach 1/'21MY prototypes which leave the head/tail lamps etc exposed and just use light camo to hide the small details. I'm hoping we see them on the road late this year/early next.

For what it's worth, the following is from a member of Blue Oval Forums. He works at Ford at one of the plants. He doesn't post much, but what he does post seems accurate (especially with F150/Bronco info). I'll still take this with a pinch of salt as the sketch he saw may not have been the final one chosen for production. That being said, with only 2 years to launch, I'd imagine the design has been locked in for a while now. He was responding, in part, to the Autocar article and their rendering.

"From what Iā€™ve gathered and seen, yes the S650 will be launching for the 2023MY and itā€™s expected to use the same platform (D2C) which is now called D5. This was done for substantial cost savings. As it is the program is still pretty expensive.

But itā€™s expected to use many CD6 components. Again, apparently using all the CD6 components wouldā€™ve made it too big and too heavy. The S650 is basically a new top hat on the same platform with more CD6 components used.

Iā€™ve seen a sketch, and itā€™s not that far off from this articleā€™s illustration. I will say the roofline drops 1 inch to make it even more swept back. It will be gorgeous I can assure you"

S650 Autocar render.jpg
Sponsored

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
I thought the S550 was Aston Martinish. They could pick worse cars to steal design language from. Hope whatever it is. It's a winner like the S550. I'm saving up my spare change for when the next gen comes out.
The first time seeing the S550 my first thought that came to mind is Aston Martin DB11.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ā“‡ā’¾ā’øā“€ā“Ž ā“ˆā“…ā’¶ā“ƒā’¾ā“ˆā’½
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Whatever S650 ends up looking like, I strongly suspect the initial reaction from many will be "yuk.....that's not a Mustang!" It happens with every new generation and every facelift :like:
That's why I think these insane paddings to hide a new car completely is actually a bad idea (besides when it's really the first prototypes on the road years before reveal). There are enough people like me or the amazing chazcron who will do renderings as good as they can. People can grow accustomed to the new look with the renderings. When then the car gets revealed with high quality marketing shots of the car which look way better than any renderings can come close to and people will start to like it more.

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Man, low and long.. I dig it. I also agree the front end is a little overdone, but if thatā€™s the general theme, I like the direction we are heading.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
That's why I think these insane paddings to hide a new car completely is actually a bad idea (besides when it's really the first prototypes on the road years before reveal). There are enough people like me or the amazing chazcron who will do renderings as good as they can. People can grow accustomed to the new look with the renderings. When then the car gets revealed with high quality marketing shots of the car which look way better than any renderings can come close to and people will start to like it more.
I guess they know sooner or later most of the Mustang faithful will come around to either liking or loving the new design, although there will always be those that won't like it.

That camo/padding can also be a hindrance. There was an interest piece in "A Faster Horse" where Tom Barnes states the prototypes exhibited vibrations once the padding was removed, as the padding had dampened it.

Either way, heavy camo or not, I can't wait to see the first prototypes, although I suspect that'll likely be early next year.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Whatever S650 ends up looking like, I strongly suspect the initial reaction from many will be "yuk.....that's not a Mustang!" It happens with every new generation and every facelift :like:
I think the 2005 MY retro-styling of the S197 was the only new model that didnā€™t have a ton of people hating on it, but even then I vaguely remember people complaining that it was ā€œtoo bigā€ or something compared to the New Edge.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
I think the 2005 MY retro-styling of the S197 was the only new model that didnā€™t have a ton of people hating on it, but even then I vaguely remember people complaining that it was ā€œtoo bigā€ or something compared to the New Edge.
And I never liked the SN95 styling.

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I didnā€™t like the ā€œinitialā€ in 95-98, but the 1999-2004 New Edge still holds up IMO.
Agreed.. I have a soft spot for the new edge cars. I much prefer them over 05-09.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Agreed.. I have a soft spot for the new edge cars. I much prefer them over 05-09.
The 2010 was a large improvement, much less plain looking... but those taillights, ew... the heck was Ford thinking? However, the 2013-2014 refresh, though, was unarguably gorgeous, IMO (and still has the best taillights of any Mustang, IMO :p )

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The 2010 was a large improvement, much less plain looking... but those taillights, ew... the heck was Ford thinking? However, the 2013-2014 refresh, though, was unarguably gorgeous, IMO (and still has the best taillights of any Mustang, IMO :p )
I agree. I also remember thinking every time I saw a 2010 GT ā€œthat person canā€™t really be into Mustangs knowing the 5.0 is coming the next model yearā€ lol... 13-14 were bad to the bone.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
I may smoke a turd in hell for saying this, but there's already a big box waiting for me now, so what's one more.
I loved the front end of my 13 GT, and the rear end finally grew on me, but I always thought that looking at the side of my Mustang from a distance reminded me of looking at a painted brick. I still liked it, but the sides just lacked something.
The S550 looked good to me, but not enough to make me want to trade. The 2018 re-fresh and the PP2 package gave me a bad case of Gottahaveits. I love the looks of this Mustang from any angle.

I think Ford is going in the right direction if the S650 will look close to this.
s650-autocar-render-jpg.jpg

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I do like that rendering. A couple of things though, it looks a few inches too short, especially in the wheelbase.....it looks like a 2-seater which is, I think, throwing the proportions off somewhat (compare and contrast with the 2-seat F-Type image). Also, I appreciate the GT350 has a forward slash in the front fender, but if we're going to have a fake vent (this one's in the door!!!) then it needs to be ahead of the rear wheels, like the original '65.....in fact, is doesn't need to be a fake vent, just a very strong indentation/hockey stick, rather like the S197 had.
F-type.jpg
S650 Autocar render.jpg
S650 1.jpg
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.