Sponsored

My Street Driven Tire/Wheel change on my GT350

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
Just realized I hadn’t written-up my tire/wheel change experience (occurred several months ago)

Here’s my slightly different Florida Street Driven approach to Tires/Wheels for my 2016 GT350, this info may be of some value or similar to a “Winter” tire/wheel package for owners in the northern states.

Tires and Wheels (a change for my totally street-driven GT350)

Most of what I’ve read here on the forum concerning changes to GT350 wheels/tires have been:
A. GT350R-Spec Wheels for my GT350
B. Eliminate the staggered setup and go with a squared setup, often requiring spacers for the front.
C. Maybe a 20” wheel/tire package
D. Maybe just a different design wheel for appearance.
E. Maybe a higher quality wheel for track use.
None of that for me.

Street-Driven, being the key phrase here.

No more track time for me, had enough of that in my 39+ years of racing stock cars. Started well over 1,000 feature race events. From here on-out its Highway/Back Road drivin’ street time for me.

My tire/wheel plan was approached kind of backwards

Tires… Actually, the tires are what I selected first
After researching many… “Continental Extreme Contact Sport” became my final decision.
Here’s the backwards part... Size: 255/40/ZR19 Front, 265/40/ZR19 Rear
What! Mustang GT tires on a GT350? Yes…, at least they had the same diameter/circumference.

Wheels... These tires would be stretched too far to use the factory GT350 wheels.
My new wheels would need to be: Front: 19 x 9.5, Rear: 19 x 10”
Retaining a staggered setup, these wheels would end up being 1” narrower than OEM GT350.
“Forgestar CF10 Deep Concave” are the wheels I chose because: I liked the look, liked the price, and liked the caliper clearance.

The next obstacle to figure out was the offset. 1” narrower wheels are going to look sunken-in on the GT350 if I retained the OEM offset of: +30mm front, +62mm rear. Had to research and study my best offset. Tramlining and Scrub Radius was a main concern. I pretty well knew from reading, the Continental Tires were going to practically eliminate the annoying tramlining inherent to the GT350, especially with a narrower tire, but if I brought the wheels out farther to look more like stock, and not sunken-in, this would create more positive scrub radius on the front-end geometry. My concern about the increased scrub radius was this may cause some undesirable input or feel into the braking or steering. After trying to find out what the exact scrub-radius spec was on the GT350, (Asking Ford Performance, and I even ask the Performance Team engineers at a Daytona testing event), never receiving an answer… -Must be a Big F'in guarded secret-.
SEE: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/figuring-out-scrub-radius.116326/#post-2528705
I estimated myself the stock scrub radius to be ½” to 3/4” positive. So, I decided on wheel offsets of: +16mm front, +48mm rear. This was 14mm or 9/16” out on both front and rear. With an increase to scrub radius of 9/16” positive.

I had to special order these wheels; it took almost 6 weeks to receive them.

First visual impressions:
Perfect offset, From the back view-looking toward the front, along the side, the Poke is totally OEM. The color, still not sure about the gunmetal, I had the gunmetal color wheels on my 2015 GT premium w/50th Anniversary wheels and they looked good, but it was a triple yellow car. With the shadow black car, still wondering if I should have gone with the satin black wheels.

First driving impressions:
The steering: Amazing, absolutely no tramlining, totally gone. And the steering seemed rock solid, with no side effects whatsoever from the increased scrub radius. I was totally satisfied and happy that I now have some 40,000-mile tires to carry me on down the road.

Final Thoughts: Been driving with my new setup for several months now. Can I still take the 270-degree entrance ramp to I-75 at 95MPH… ? Yes, (With no traffic of course)
I am totally satisfied with this setup and not planning on going back with OEM. My original wheels/tires never came within 6” of a curb, the tires still have some mileage left on them. The wheels are mint, still factory mounted/balanced, so I put them up in my tire rack, not sure what I should do with them, I may end up selling them.

WEIGHTS:
Tires: Michelin OEM = 29# Front, 30# Rear, Continental ECS = 26# Front, 27# Rear
Wheels: OEM = 34#, Forgestars = 24#
The New Mounted Tire/Wheel are about 13# lighter each compared with OEM.

COST:
Tires and New TPMS sensors: 1092
Wheels and Lug Nuts: 1448
Balancing: 50
Total Cost = 2590

Test Fitting the Wheels for clearance and offset
Final-Pre-1.jpg

Final-Pre-2.jpg

Final Stance and Look
Final-1.jpg
Final-2.jpg
Read this through again, had a couple questions that popped up.

40,000 mile life on the Continentals? Boy, I hope that's true because I'm running those as well.

I'm running staggered OEM wheels, with downsized 295/35/19 in back and 285/35/19 in rear. Are you planning on rotating side to side to reach 40,000 or is there no benefit to that?

Also, did you change the front alignment? The recent thread about the track focused camber and inside tire wear on the fronts has me wondering about doing so. Seems like 40K without changing that is overly optimistic.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JohnVallo

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
Read this through again, had a couple questions that popped up.

40,000 mile life on the Continentals? Boy, I hope that's true because I'm running those as well.

I'm running staggered OEM wheels, with downsized 295/35/19 in back and 285/35/19 in rear. Are you planning on rotating side to side to reach 40,000 or is there no benefit to that?

Also, did you change the front alignment? The recent thread about the track focused camber and inside tire wear on the fronts has me wondering about doing so. Seems like 40K without changing that is overly optimistic.
Hopeful for 40,000, Maybe should have said 30-40.
Haven't done the side to side rotation, I'm not a big believer.
The front alignment though, is a great idea for the street.
Taking some of the negative camber out, and adjusting the toe should definitely help with street tire wear.
Having the 'Base' GT350, I never really intended to do any track days with the car.

Sunchaser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reid
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT Premium - Grabber Orange, 2019 Mustang GT350 Shelby - K0063 - Orange Fury - June 2019
MNGT350 - You wrote:
Did you mean to write 285/35/19 in "FRONT" ?

And these are Conti's running on the stock OEM rims front 10.5, rear 11?

I've been reading the forums looking for a good all - season replacement for my 2019 with the stock Pilot Sport Cup 2's which is my daily driver, and I'm looking to get rid of the tramming.

Weather here in England is variable so don't really want to go with a summer only. In looking for options, the Conti's, AS 3's and AS 4's seem to be discussed. Its the sizes I can't seem to get my head around.

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
MNGT350 - You wrote:

Did you mean to write 285/35/19 in "FRONT" ?

And these are Conti's running on the stock OEM rims front 10.5, rear 11?

I've been reading the forums looking for a good all - season replacement for my 2019 with the stock Pilot Sport Cup 2's which is my daily driver, and I'm looking to get rid of the tramming.

Weather here in England is variable so don't really want to go with a summer only. In looking for options, the Conti's, AS 3's and AS 4's seem to be discussed. Its the sizes I can't seem to get my head around.
yeah, meant to say 285 in front. And I run stock GT350 (non R) wheel sizes.

Once I realized the "285" or "305" number wasn't a reliable measure of actual tire measurements, the game totally changed. Tire rack has actual measurements of tire width for different "sized" tires on their site, and the continentals fit just fine on the stock GT350 wheels. Also, there was that article posted by Billy Johnson talking about slightly undersized widths being better for handling.

combine that with my desire to decrease rotating mass as much as reasonably possible (the continentals were 2 pounds lighter each than the stock super sports), it was a no brainer. (cost less too!!)

I debated going with all season, but read a lot of good stuff about the extreme contact sport, so went with that since I don't drive once the salt gets on the road anyway

Sponsored

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
Just realized I hadn’t written-up my tire/wheel change experience (occurred several months ago)

The next obstacle to figure out was the offset. 1” narrower wheels are going to look sunken-in on the GT350 if I retained the OEM offset of: +30mm front, +62mm rear. Had to research and study my best offset. Tramlining and Scrub Radius was a main concern.

I wasn't familiar with the "scrub radius" thing.
!!

I was looking to the following wheel specs
Fronts: 19x10.5 +23
Rears: 19x11 +55

The above specs are different THEN STOCK the off sets.

Anyone on here wheel guys that have any idea if they will stick out, or effect this "scrub radius"?

thanks~

OP
OP
JohnVallo

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
!!

Anyone on here wheel guys that have any idea if they will stick out, or effect this "scrub radius"?

thanks~
These offsets are 7mm or a little more than 1/4" different than stock, as the wheel widths are the same as stock GT350.
This may not be very noticeable, depending on what tires you use. The wheels will only stick out 1/4" more than stock.
Also, you will be fine with the Scrub-Radius

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
!!

thanks~
Those are within 1mm of the GT350R offsets so they'll fit fine - they're narrower than the R rims.

Question is - will they clear the brakes?

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Those are within 1mm of the GT350R offsets so they'll fit fine - they're narrower than the R rims.

Question is - will they clear the brakes?
That I do know...yes they will

Sponsored

DMC350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
20 GT350 67 Mustang 78 F250

Here’s my slightly different Florida Street Driven approach to Tires/Wheels for my 2016 GT350, this info may be of some value or similar to a “Winter” tire/wheel package for owners in the northern states.

Tires and Wheels (a change for my totally street-driven GT350)

Most of what I’ve read here on the forum concerning changes to GT350 wheels/tires have been:
A. GT350R-Spec Wheels for my GT350
B. Eliminate the staggered setup and go with a squared setup, often requiring spacers for the front.
C. Maybe a 20” wheel/tire package
D. Maybe just a different design wheel for appearance.
E. Maybe a higher quality wheel for track use.
None of that for me.

Street-Driven, being the key phrase here.

No more track time for me, had enough of that in my 39+ years of racing stock cars. Started well over 1,000 feature race events. From here on-out its Highway/Back Road drivin’ street time for me.

My tire/wheel plan was approached kind of backwards

Tires… Actually, the tires are what I selected first
After researching many… “Continental Extreme Contact Sport” became my final decision.
Here’s the backwards part... Size: 255/40/ZR19 Front, 265/40/ZR19 Rear
What! Mustang GT tires on a GT350? Yes…, at least they had the same diameter/circumference.

Wheels... These tires would be stretched too far to use the factory GT350 wheels.
My new wheels would need to be: Front: 19 x 9.5, Rear: 19 x 10”
Retaining a staggered setup, these wheels would end up being 1” narrower than OEM GT350.
“Forgestar CF10 Deep Concave” are the wheels I chose because: I liked the look, liked the price, and liked the caliper clearance.

UPDATED NOTE:
I did seriously consider keeping my OEM wheels and just putting on the “Continental Extreme Contact Sport” tires.
The sizes in that scenario would have been 265/40/ZR19 Front, 275/40/ZR19 Rear. This would also work well, save money, and require no speedometer modification.

The next obstacle to figure out was the offset. 1” narrower wheels are going to look sunken-in on the GT350 if I retained the OEM offset of: +30mm front, +62mm rear. Had to research and study my best offset. Tramlining and Scrub Radius was a main concern. I pretty well knew from reading, the Continental Tires were going to practically eliminate the annoying tramlining inherent to the GT350, especially with a narrower tire, but if I brought the wheels out farther to look more like stock, and not sunken-in, this would create more positive scrub radius on the front-end geometry. My concern about the increased scrub radius was this may cause some undesirable input or feel into the braking or steering. After trying to find out what the exact scrub-radius spec was on the GT350, (Asking Ford Performance, and I even ask the Performance Team engineers at a Daytona testing event), never receiving an answer… -Must be a Big F'in guarded secret-.
SEE: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/figuring-out-scrub-radius.116326/#post-2528705
I estimated myself the stock scrub radius to be ½” to 3/4” positive. So, I decided on wheel offsets of: +16mm front, +48mm rear. This was 14mm or 9/16” out on both front and rear. With an increase to scrub radius of 9/16” positive.

I had to special order these wheels; it took almost 6 weeks to receive them.

First visual impressions:
Perfect offset, From the back view-looking toward the front, along the side, the Poke is totally OEM. The color, still not sure about the gunmetal, I had the gunmetal color wheels on my 2015 GT premium w/50th Anniversary wheels and they looked good, but it was a triple yellow car. With the shadow black car, still wondering if I should have gone with the satin black wheels.

First driving impressions:
The steering: Amazing, absolutely no tramlining, totally gone. And the steering seemed rock solid, with no side effects whatsoever from the increased scrub radius. I was totally satisfied and happy that I now have some 40,000-mile tires to carry me on down the road.

Final Thoughts: Been driving with my new setup for several months now. Can I still take the 270-degree entrance ramp to I-75 at 95MPH… ? Yes, (With no traffic of course)
I am totally satisfied with this setup and not planning on going back with OEM. My original wheels/tires never came within 6” of a curb, the tires still have some mileage left on them. The wheels are mint, still factory mounted/balanced, so I put them up in my tire rack, not sure what I should do with them, I may end up selling them.

WEIGHTS:
Tires: Michelin OEM = 29# Front, 30# Rear, Continental ECS = 26# Front, 27# Rear
Wheels: OEM = 34#, Forgestars = 24#
The New Mounted Tire/Wheel are about 13# lighter each compared with OEM.

COST:
Tires and New TPMS sensors: 1092
Wheels and Lug Nuts: 1448
Balancing: 50
Total Cost = 2590

Test Fitting the Wheels for clearance and offset
Final-Pre-1.jpg

Final-Pre-2.jpg

Final Stance and Look
Final-1.jpg
Final-2.jpg
John, first thanks for posting all of your research. I was starting to think that I was the only one looking for a slightly narrower setup. Are you still running the GT size tires? Still happy with them?

OP
OP
JohnVallo

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
John, first thanks for posting all of your research. I was starting to think that I was the only one looking for a slightly narrower setup. Are you still running the GT size tires? Still happy with them?
Yes Sir,
Perfect for the Street.

DMC350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
20 GT350 67 Mustang 78 F250
Yes Sir,
Perfect for the Street.
Thank you Sir, I'll be placing an order soon. I'm in Washington State where it rains a bit too much. I could just see hitting a bunch of standing water and ruining this amazing car.

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Yes Sir,
Perfect for the Street.
So John, sorry, if your not sure that's good, but since you have done so much work on this, maybe you would know

On my old Porsche I bought Extreme Contact DW and I LOVED then. Was a huge upgrade in every way to the old P Zero's, in seemed

I see your referring to your Conti's as "sport". Is that the same wheel/ tire, is that the "DW"? Also, below.....

"UPDATED NOTE:
I did seriously consider keeping my OEM wheels and just putting on the “Continental Extreme Contact Sport” tires.
The sizes in that scenario would have been 265/40/ZR19 Front, 275/40/ZR19 Rear. This would also work well, save money, and require no speedometer modification"

Would that tire size go right on the stock rims and be more or less the same size in all ways to the stock tires (mine was a 2019 so it had the cup 2 'lites" ). I heard that Ford made the 2019 and up GT350 with a weird tire size more or less impossible to match up

I apologize in advance if you already gave these answers in the updated notes somewhere....
Sponsored