PP1 logic-see what you think.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I think I have found my car. It's a new 2020 GT coupe, manual (of course) with PP1. I am on a bit of a budget, so no premium or GT350. Is the PP1 worth it, I wondered? Lots of opinions on this forum, I've done a lot of reading! :whew:

So I went on the Steeda web site (I'm sure there are other options as well, but I think they're pretty well regarded, right?) and added up all of the upgrades that you get with PP1, the bigger radiator, brakes, suspension, but without the braces and gauges, and added a set of tires from Tirerack, and I come up with $4845, more like $5000 after mounting and balancing, not counting shipping on the tires. And that includes $400 labor to do the suspension and alignment, since I don't mess with spring compressors. So that's a wash right, except that I didn't include the cost of wheels, which can vary widely depending on what you want, but figure at least $1000 for a decent set of 19". So using that logic, the PP1, despite the outrageous new price from Ford, is still a bargain.

Now, I don't know if the upgraded brakes will fit the standard GT wheels, so I suppose you could stay with those, but the tires that come with the GT are generally all seasons, I believe, not great for the track. So I'd still have to buy tires. And I intend to do a couple of track days a year in this car. But I'm not so hardcore that I'm going to go with the PP2, which I read is just miserable on the street. I'm old, I like some comfort. :)

I'm sure there are other suspension options beside the Ford PP1, but I drove the car and it seemed pretty well buttoned-down, not harsh like so many aftermarket suspensions can be. I don't have the knowledge nor budget to experiment.

How's my logic? It will be next week before I buy the car, so my options are still open. The car will be a weekend toy, track days, occasional drives to work, no long trips.

Thanks,
Michael
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes PP1 is worth it.. You get Michelin Pilot sports. PP2 would have cups

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I bought an '18 PP2 301A w/ active exhaust in May 2018.. Sold the Cup 2's for $800 and had the dealer put on 305/30/19 Bridgestone S-04's for $1,200 (cost me $400). I drive it to work quite often in addition to play time. Just rolled over 13K miles. Without the Cup 2's it has very decent road manners. Even with the Bridgestone's, it's still an awesome handling car (tracked one time last summer at HPT). To me Magneride is worth every penny, and now you can get a PP2 (includes Magneride in Package) cheaper than a PP1 plus Magneride. If you want the PP1 that's fine, but don't let talk scare you away from the PP2. BTW, I'm 57 years young.

full.png

full.png

txpat3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue PP1 5.0
Love my PP1. To each their own - depends on what features from each package you really want! I honestly didn't give much consideration to the PP2 knowing my budget and what was a requirement in my head.

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
If you add the cost of magne-ride to PP1 it ends up being more than PP2. IMO magne-ride is worth it.
I had the dealer change the Cup 2s to P4S before I took delivery of the car and it's no problem at all on the street.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
If you add the cost of magne-ride to PP1 it ends up being more than PP2. IMO magne-ride is worth it.
I had the dealer change the Cup 2s to P4S before I took delivery of the car and it's no problem at all on the street.
Magneride is worth it in my book also.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
This is true on the site if ordering it, but depends on the dealer. Finding a PP2 in stock isn't easy in some areas, let alone in the colors you may want, and dealers may not want to budge as much as a PP1.

OP
OP
BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Finding a PP1 with MR and no other options and not a premium trim is nearly impossible. All I could find was a leftover 2019 that's been sitting for literally over a year, and they still think it's gold, price-wise.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
I love the PP1 weather it is worth it or not lol
I got a good deal on my 2020 because Ford bought my 2019 back because of defects
Sticker was $49,510 paid $41,250 for it
It has the MR but don't drive it hard enough to tell if it is worth it
Love the active exhaust
window.jpg

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
This is true on the site if ordering it, but depends on the dealer. Finding a PP2 in stock isn't easy in some areas, let alone in the colors you may want, and dealers may not want to budge as much as a PP1.
Yeah, I was lucky. Bought in the fall when demand was pretty low and they had several on the lot. I also wanted the digital dash, which means 401A. Also worth it IMO, but pricey. As a bonus my interior is midnight blue, which looks great.

I bought a 2019 Ranger in late March and they were dealing to move them, but 2020 not so much.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I would always opt for the PP1. my question is I know the tires are different in PP2 but are the wheels the same? May upgrade to the wider tiers when I wear these out.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I would always opt for the PP1. my question is I know the tires are different in PP2 but are the wheels the same? May upgrade to the wider tiers when I wear these out.
They have a 10.5in front wheel and 11in rear.
Sponsored