Sponsored

Has anyone successfully installed the VMP underhood ice tank/res?

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
Bought this in lieu of going trunk mounted tank because I was assured by a rep from VMP that it “fits without modification.” Not even remotely close to being true. I even considered moving the factory degas and putting it there instead but there’s still too much interference with the upper hose that doesn’t budge thanks to the plastic y junction. Can’t see clearly in the pic but it certainly seems someone made it work. Just curious if anyone has had success before I go all Macgyver on it.
5-FE03-D44-FCA1-4326-AF40-13-B65575-FDC4.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
zero_chance

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
I made mine work
Just have to play with it
And use a few zip ties
CF9F73F2-24B6-4F40-A48D-7CF7A49726E3.jpeg
I went ham on it. Relocated the degas to the driver side, got a PBH upper radiator hose fitting and rerouted my upper hose around the tank. Wanted a straight shot into the IC pump and killer chiller. Will post some pics.

OP
OP
zero_chance

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
Check that. Planned for everything except the tank to hood clearance. :facepalm: So wound up having to install on the driver side similar to yours. Not very happy with the installation as the tank only fits slightly rotated in on the right side due to the gnarly KB 4.5 intake pipe. Waiting on a Mishimoto coolant res to come in so I may revisit the install down the road to try and get it to fit more squarely, but it is what it is.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Don't they have a tank that goes where the battery is? Assuming if you relocate the battery to the trunk.

OP
OP
zero_chance

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
Don't they have a tank that goes where the battery is? Assuming if you relocate the battery to the trunk.
They do but I was never a big fan of battery relocation (always seemed like adding more ways for things to go wrong). The kits they have now are actually pretty decent though, and after this project, with the money I spent to make it work, it would have been cheaper/easier no doubt. I bought some silicone adapters to slightly reroute my intake pipe away from the corner of the tank, allowing the tank to sit evenly, which my OCD will like. If I would have tackled just the tank logistics by themself it wouldn’t have been that big of a deal but I decided to do the Killer Chiller, a second heat exchanger w/pump and plumbing to separate the liquid case cooling, as well as the tank all at once. Seems like something fought me every step of the way and it’s still not finished due to limited garage time.
Sponsored