Sponsored

Talk me down from blowing a ton of cash on mods!

z6cyl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, MT-82, Ruby Red
one, stops the hop if you're the kind that just likes to dump the clutch. But more importantly you can actually feel what the heck is going on at the rear of the car.

Fix Ford's epic engineering f*ck-up. You only need the 2 collars that take up the egregious amount of space between fastener and bushing core. 12.9 grade hardware is strong than 10 and in another case of engineering clue 101 being overlooked, Ford put the sheer loads into the threaded section of the fastener instead of the shank. Someone really needs to whacked good and hard for those.

I believe so. You're opting for the $500 solution to a $70 problem. But I'm sure there are other benefits to the MGW.
Cool thanks for your reply - just watched a video on the diff bolts - WTF..

The issue with the stock shifter is that it mounts to the body and has the joint in the shifter linkage (again another ford engineering idea) to manage the flex between engine and shifter at high rpm. The MGW bolts directly to the transmission so everything is in line. I'm not so sure the shifter bracket is going to fully fix that issue.
Sponsored

z6cyl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, MT-82, Ruby Red
Are there any other essential suspension upgrades other than the IRS stabilization stuff? I don't really want to lower the car but what about sway bars, strut tower and K member braces - are those going to really do much for a car that is mostly street and maybe 1-2 time a year track?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not so sure the shifter bracket is going to fully fix that issue.
depends on your definition of "fully fix". The shifter is no longer anything that bothers me. So by my definition and $70 it's "fully fixed".

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I picked up my BASE 2020 GT 6spd last week. This car is intended to be my daily driver which will include the possibility of snow driving (though I can work from home during bad weather so it would only be for emergencies). I really like the idea of living with a muscle car every day... I want to have the experience of a V8 manual hotrod in my life every day before that chance is gone forever.

I don’t owe much on the S550 and that was the plan...I wanted a fun, cheap, quick daily driver but not a race car. The base GT trim hit the mark. My tinkering a modding budget has been and will be spent on my canyon carver Mopar project. At least, that was my plan. I assumed that I could keep my cool and focus on turning my beloved old jalopy into a genuine driver’s car...

Now that I’ve driven the new Mustang a bit, I’m feeling the potential of this car and suddenly I’m regretting not getting a PP1. I already “tripped and fell” and accidentally bought a set of take-off PP1 Brembo rotors and calipers, I’ve nearly decided on a set of wheels and tires to accommodate the new binders too. I also have tabs on my browser with suspension upgrades, chassis stiffening, etc...this is going in a bad direction quickly. :D

So...I’m hoping you guys can save me some cash. Has anyone owned/driven both base and performance pack cars? Are the PP cars that much more responsive/fun when hooning around the backroads or do the upgrades only matter on the track? Which are the most important components to upgrade if a guy just wanted to close the gap between the trim levels and maybe hang with PP cars on an occasional casual autocross event?

How big of a deal is the Torsen? I run one in my Dart and it works great so far but I don’t notice that much of a difference from the clutch pack style limited slip that the car had before.
This always comes down to budget and intent. Are you going to track the car (and what type of track)? What does the car not do now that you want it to? For a DD car or one that will only see the track once or twice in it's life, stock is fine.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Do yourself a favor and get one of these arm rest covers. (pic is mine) and I truly truly! love it. Driving has been so much more comfortable, its just a really luxury item that I do not regret buying, wish I had it day 1 as an option from ford. I would of bought it.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/kr-armrest.129736/
AC93C7A5-5C30-448E-9BFD-743F4B08BFAC.jpeg

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've spent about 10k on mine. Don't regret it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I think the Base model is fine.
I've got probably $1500 in mods. Thats enough for me. :sunglasses:

It's a Daily and I just want to keep mine sorta stock so the car goes for 15 years :like:
These cars are fast enough for Daily Drivers. I've got tickets to prove that :)
Don't really need to do anything but brakes, tires, oil and filters until you hit 100k
Then you do the 100k stuff :muscle:

YMMV

Sponsored

dbegley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package 401a
Vehicle Showcase
I had this great list of mods I came up with while I was waiting for my '17 Premium with PP to arrive. When the car arrived I decided to drive it for awhile before I did much of anything to it. Glad I did as I got used to the car I realized what a great car it is as it came from the factory. The only mods I have done to my '17 are: swapping out that clutch spring, the Steeda jacking rails (so I could store it off the tires in the winter), the Roush hydraulic hood lifts and the basic Steeda Stop the Hop kit. I could have skipped the Hop Kit for the kind of driving I do with my car. But I have to say it made a big difference in the rear end handling. I do have the PP option and recommend it for enthusiasts like us. Bigger brakes are worth that alone but so is the Ford Street performance package. The one "complaint" I have on the PP package are those summer tires. In Minnesota that means I can't drive my car in the early spring and late fall. I will swap out those tires with 3 season performance tires.

bahasad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium, 14 BMW F30 Stage 1
Dropped 5k on my car within 1 month of having it. Another 4.5k later, and am at the state its at now. Very happy with it. Totally agree mods are a slippery slope...but it keeps my car unique and personal to my driving interests. Its also improved what I saw as flaws from the factory...or areas of improvement.
The car is great out of the box but it has certain compromises to fit a wide customer base. Luckily theres a lot of options to fine tune it to your interests. My car is a semi daily-driver, yet I love going on spirited runs on the backroads with my buddies. It does that splendidly at its current state.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Uhhh - take some old guy wisdom - the mod money I don't spend today goes toward the down on my next car. I've had my share of money pits from a Kenne Bell Cobra to an LSX454 Corvette and a few others. My GT has an E85 tune and my RS is tuned for 93 and I am done with those cars. No mas amigo...no mas.
I agree. Say, with a name of Biggus Dickus you might know my cousin Holden Longwood.

Kilo_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 5.0 401A, PP1,Magnetic Gray
I'll suggest you drive the thing for months prior to committing Mod Overload. Ninety-nine percent of Mustang drivers never get within twenty percent of the limits of a base Mustang's capabilities. Your developing sensitivity and skills will take your base Mustang performance well beyond what a standard PP1er will ever see.

Pay attention to what the car is telling you in stock base Mustang form. Remember that every mod you throw at it will become the focus of a cognitive dissonance episode, where the impulse to justify a decision overwhelms rational evaluation. Practically speaking, almost no one you'll encounter can sense the levels of change provided by common "improvements".
Well said.

All I’ve done to mine is, Steeda H-Pipe & clutch spring so far. My car is fun and a joy to drive as a daily driver, CAI will be next. Building a 900 horsepower beast for a daily driver could be fun for some, but not for me.

I have another car for that, but it won’t be a daily driver.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I find myself wishing I had a real high performance sports car. Then I am always brought back to earth by the reality of no place to drive it. The streets are bad, the freeways are crowded, the country roads have many blind curves and lots of farm equipment.
Sponsored