You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Today I installed a two camera dash cam. I have always wanted to have one, so I though this would be the perfect car to install one in.

I decided on a Blackvue DR900S-2 channel, and their Power Magic Pro to be sure it doesn't kill the battery when parked. I did not get a battery back-up, as I feel this is more than I will need.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.JPG

Instead of using the included stick on mount for the front camera, I picked up a Blend Mount to attach it to the rearview mirror instead.

6.jpg

The only thing thats not included in the camera kit for install, are fuse taps. Our car needs two Micro 2 taps, so I picked up this handy kit on eBay. My OCD wouldn't let me use a red wire for constant power, so I used some yellow electrical tape to please the brain.

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

I used fuse #4 in the passenger kick-panel for constant power (yellow), and fuse #35 for switched ignition (red). I used the lower ground stud located above the fuse panel for the ground (note the red ring terminal I used to do this, just above the fuse box in the picture below).

Now, in order for the switched ignition fuse tap to fit in that location, I had to grind the extra material off. You will see this exposed a little of the metal. so I used my trusty supply of plasti-dip to coat the surface and protect the exposed terminal.

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

I chose to mount the Power Magic Pro in the glove box so I could easily reach the switch to turn off parking mode recording when the car sits in my garage (no need), and for winter storage. To get the glove box to drop all the way down, you need to pop off the slide control on the right side of the glovebox. Lift up on the end that connects to the glovebox and it releases, then just push in on the sides of the glovebox so the rubber bumpers can clear the dash

15.JPG

16.JPG

The wiring harness is what needs the constant power, switched power, and ground. Off this harness is a 12v outlet, which the front dash cam simply plugs into. I made a wiring harness to run the wires from the glove box to the fuse panel. I wire-tied the female 12v plug to the cars harness that runs behind the glovebox, and the male plug that powers the dash cam just plugs into it. The glovebox already has slits cut ou on either side, and this is what I used to get the harness into it. I used double sided tape to attach the module to the left side of the glovebox so I could just open the glovebox from the drivers seat and flip the switch.

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

I took the clip that holds the stock rearview mirror harness off the mirror to make more room to attach the Blend Mount. Just insert a small flat head screwdriver into it to release it.

21.JPG

Here is the camera mounted to the mirror. I popped off the plastic conduit channel that hides the factory mirror harness, and passed the power cable for the camera, and the rear camera cable through it for a nice clean install. I ran the power harness across to the passenger side, down the A post, into the dash and connected it to the female 12v receptacle of the Power Magic Pro. I ran the rear camera cable across to the drivers side, and followed the headliner all the way to the center of the rear window, where it plugs into the rear camera. The rear camera has a mount that sticks to the window with double sided tape.

22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

This is a very simple install. The most difficult part was my feeble attempt at becoming a contortionist to get up inside the fusebox area. Lets just say I that I needed 800mg of Motrin when I was done.

I am still learning how to use this camera setup. Overall I would say its super easy to use, and works MINT.

Here is the front and rear recording of the test run after installing it. You can see my front windshield tint strip in the video, but in does not hinder the recording in any way. I like how the tint strip mostly hides the camera from the front view. I have been using tint strips in all my vehicles for 20 years, and I will always use one. It is great for the eyes, and it looks great from the outside. The rear camera is almost not noticeable from the exterior because of the 20% tint, and it is barely visible from the rearview mirror.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Jaime,

Would the Power Magic Pro mount is the owners manual storage area above the glove box?

P5100235.JPG

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jaime,

Would the Power Magic Pro mount is the owners manual storage area above the glove box?

P5100235.JPG
Most definitely it would, if you so choose.

Dunk812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Rapid Red
Today I installed a two camera dash cam. I have always wanted to have one, so I though this would be the perfect car to install one in.

I decided on a Blackvue DR900S-2 channel, and their Power Magic Pro to be sure it doesn't kill the battery when parked. I did not get a battery back-up, as I feel this is more than I will need.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.JPG

Instead of using the included stick on mount for the front camera, I picked up a Blend Mount to attach it to the rearview mirror instead.

6.jpg

The only thing thats not included in the camera kit for install, are fuse taps. Our car needs two Micro 2 taps, so I picked up this handy kit on eBay. My OCD wouldn't let me use a red wire for constant power, so I used some yellow electrical tape to please the brain.

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

I used fuse #4 in the passenger kick-panel for constant power (yellow), and fuse #35 for switched ignition (red). I used the lower ground stud located above the fuse panel for the ground (note the red ring terminal I used to do this, just above the fuse box in the picture below).

Now, in order for the switched ignition fuse tap to fit in that location, I had to grind the extra material off. You will see this exposed a little of the metal. so I used my trusty supply of plasti-dip to coat the surface and protect the exposed terminal.

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

I chose to mount the Power Magic Pro in the glove box so I could easily reach the switch to turn off parking mode recording when the car sits in my garage (no need), and for winter storage. To get the glove box to drop all the way down, you need to pop off the slide control on the right side of the glovebox. Lift up on the end that connects to the glovebox and it releases, then just push in on the sides of the glovebox so the rubber bumpers can clear the dash

15.JPG

16.JPG

The wiring harness is what needs the constant power, switched power, and ground. Off this harness is a 12v outlet, which the front dash cam simply plugs into. I made a wiring harness to run the wires from the glove box to the fuse panel. I wire-tied the female 12v plug to the cars harness that runs behind the glovebox, and the male plug that powers the dash cam just plugs into it. The glovebox already has slits cut ou on either side, and this is what I used to get the harness into it. I used double sided tape to attach the module to the left side of the glovebox so I could just open the glovebox from the drivers seat and flip the switch.

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

I took the clip that holds the stock rearview mirror harness off the mirror to make more room to attach the Blend Mount. Just insert a small flat head screwdriver into it to release it.

21.JPG

Here is the camera mounted to the mirror. I popped off the plastic conduit channel that hides the factory mirror harness, and passed the power cable for the camera, and the rear camera cable through it for a nice clean install. I ran the power harness across to the passenger side, down the A post, into the dash and connected it to the female 12v receptacle of the Power Magic Pro. I ran the rear camera cable across to the drivers side, and followed the headliner all the way to the center of the rear window, where it plugs into the rear camera. The rear camera has a mount that sticks to the window with double sided tape.

22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

This is a very simple install. The most difficult part was my feeble attempt at becoming a contortionist to get up inside the fusebox area. Lets just say I that I needed 800mg of Motrin when I was done.

I am still learning how to use this camera setup. Overall I would say its super easy to use, and works MINT.

Here is the front and rear recording of the test run after installing it. You can see my front windshield tint strip in the video, but in does not hinder the recording in any way. I like how the tint strip mostly hides the camera from the front view. I have been using tint strips in all my vehicles for 20 years, and I will always use one. It is great for the eyes, and it looks great from the outside. The rear camera is almost not noticeable from the exterior because of the 20% tint, and it is barely visible from the rearview mirror.

Ok Jaime, I have been waiting to pull the trigger on the Black View and your most excellent install steps and pics have pushed me over the edge I'm getting mine today........ I thank you, my checking account not so much.....lol...

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I recently installed front camera's in 4 of my vehicles (wife's EB, both Shelby's and my excursion).

Had a friend that was side swiped 4 times in 6 months by different people in her mustangs. If it was not for the camera's, she would have been on the hook for repairs. All the people either hauled "a$$" or tried to blame her for the accident.

A month before I purchased the camera's, the wife's 06 GT was backed into by a 1 one truck. guy jumped out, offered her $300 cash, she said no, I am calling police. He jumped in truck and took off.

That sold me on camera's

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
WOW, Jaime! And 4k, too! <smiling>

VERY nice job and not one I would tackle.

Gonna start a YT channel now? <grin>
Kent, you could handle this with no problem. You either stick it to the dash with the included mount, or clip it to the mirror with the blend mount. The wires just get pushed up under the headliner, nothing has to get removed to do it. You could just use the 12v power port below your NAV, and not hard wire it, but if you do, its three simple connections. It really is an easy install, I kid you not.

No YT channel for me thanks. I only have one for videos that I want to post in my forums.

A suggestion perhaps for the forum software designers, (I don't think it's an Admin option, but it might be,) don't include graphics in reply quotes. :-)
What I do is delete the attachments from a reply before I post. Would be better if multiple photos didn't quote, but I see the value of posts with only one, or a few photos quoting.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I recently installed front camera's in 4 of my vehicles (wife's EB, both Shelby's and my excursion).

Had a friend that was side swiped 4 times in 6 months by different people in her mustangs. If it was not for the camera's, she would have been on the hook for repairs. All the people either hauled "a$$" or tried to blame her for the accident.

A month before I purchased the camera's, the wife's 06 GT was backed into by a 1 one truck. guy jumped out, offered her $300 cash, she said no, I am calling police. He jumped in truck and took off.

That sold me on camera's
Yes, this is exactly why I wanted the camera system on this car, specifically. I mean, I like the idea of being able to post videos of something cool that was recorded, but I mostly wanted one for my protection.

Normally I would say that cars are replaceable, but that really is not the case with these 2020 GT500's.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
..but I mostly wanted one for my protection.
Copy all, Jaime and it does sound simple enough. As for the quote...

I just keep a Glockster in each vehicle. :-) We're more important than the car. <grin>

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Copy all, Jaime and it does sound simple enough. As for the quote...

I just keep a Glockster in each vehicle. :-) We're more important than the car. <grin>
As correct as you are, I meant against insurance companies lol. People suck, and it’s hard to dispute a video of what happened.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
As correct as you are, I meant against insurance companies lol. People suck, and it’s hard to dispute a video of what happened.
Tha's why my friend had the camera's. All the people tried to leave or lie. The last "incident" was the funniest. The guy hit her and ran. She reviewed the video, downloaded it and gave it to her boyfriend who happens to be a local sheriff. He runs the plate, finds out the guy lives in a neighboring town, calls the police for the town and sends them the video. The town cop goes to the guys house and confronts him. He was adamant about her hitting him!! Cop says is that your final answer???:giggle::giggle:

Proceeds to tell him, they have video, he still denies and finally admits to it. He gets a ticket for leaving the scene and something else, (sorry dont remember)

Long story but make a point that most people are going to deny in this day and age.