Sponsored

2019 Mustang GT (Manual) auto rev matching

Pierangiolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Manual (sold), 2020 Mustang GT A10
Good morning.

I recently purchased a 19’ Mustang GT manual transmisión. I love it in every way. There is one issue though, sometimes the auto rev matching will turn off without me knowing and I’ll have to manually heel toe to down shift. Which isn’t a problem until you have to down shift really quickly to avoid an accident and the car spins the rear wheels because you didn’t rev match.

I don’t want to turn this post into an argument about “just use your right foot” or “just get an automatic”. I am genuinely concerned with this issue. After a long day of work I like to throw the car on rev match mode and cruise my way home.

regardless, thank you for your time.
Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Lol ... sorry for the Silly question but WTF is rev match ? Is that something newer Mustangs have and or does mine have this ?

it’s a manual. Can’t you just shift it ?

OP
OP
Pierangiolo

Pierangiolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Manual (sold), 2020 Mustang GT A10
Lol ... sorry for the Silly question but WTF is rev match ? Is that something newer Mustangs have and or does mine have this ?

it’s a manual. Can’t you just shift it ?
Every question is a valid question.
When downshifting, we have to apply some revs to prevent the tires from spinning and the car lurching forward. This action is what I call “rev matching” I grew up with that term and I don’t know if that’s the official term for it. The car sense what gear you are downshifting into and will apply the perfect rev so that you have a perfect and smooth downshift. It’s meant for cruising and stuff. Not really racing.

2019 models and up all come standard with rev matching. The other models you would have to see the inside your dash screen to see if it was added to your car as a feature. You can always buy the feature for like 300$. I have the feature already on the car so I just want to make use of it.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
"Rev matching" is the official term used by Ford. It's odd that it turns off by itself. It's easy to do with the configuration menu, but it shouldn't be happening without you actively doing it.

With a '19, I'd assume it's still under warranty, so a dealer visit may be in order.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Most likely, of course I say this without knowing your driving style.

I say if it feels like it's not working. The gear you are shifting down too, might not need the extra RPM. Could be at its sweet spot, a sweet spot being a place where one can shift to a gear without using the clutch.

The rev will happen at the next lower gear. REV matching is killer, getting to a corner. Grab a hand full of second and roar out of the turn .

Anyway, next time you think it's not working pull the stick into next lower gear. My money says you will find the rev matching.

BTW if unsure, no need to let the clutch out the RPM will come up instantly , proving all is well with your hotrod.

Rethinking a bit, full track mode may not have it set.

Learning curve

Pep

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
There’s no reason for it to be turning off automatically. You should take it into Ford to be looked at.

I also own a 19 GT and when I bought it I was like “ah cool this little novelty feature is cute but I won’t use it.” Ha! It’s become one of my favorite features. And I’m an experienced manual driver.

Erratikmind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Prem M6/401A/PP1/MR, '19 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Good morning.

I recently purchased a 19’ Mustang GT manual transmisión. I love it in every way. There is one issue though, sometimes the auto rev matching will turn off without me knowing and I’ll have to manually heel toe to down shift. Which isn’t a problem until you have to down shift really quickly to avoid an accident and the car spins the rear wheels because you didn’t rev match.

I don’t want to turn this post into an argument about “just use your right foot” or “just get an automatic”. I am genuinely concerned with this issue. After a long day of work I like to throw the car on rev match mode and cruise my way home.

regardless, thank you for your time.
As mentioned, take it in to your local dealership and have it checked.

Moving forward . . . In a very tight/close emergency situation, the brake and clutch pedals are your best options in lieu of grabbing for a lower gear to slow down.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
A bit OT, but saw this today and it works for a smile.

0158c4e8b8393056431918dff3687add467e74fd87234391977b0758f0ea234f.jpg

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
As mentioned, take it in to your local dealership and have it checked.

Moving forward . . . In a very tight/close emergency situation, the brake and clutch pedals are your best options in lieu of grabbing for a lower gear to slow down.

LOL jeep drives, down shifting will save brakes, watch the corners in that top heavy turtle.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
There’s no reason for it to be turning off automatically. You should take it into Ford to be looked at.

I also own a 19 GT and when I bought it I was like “ah cool this little novelty feature is cute but I won’t use it.” Ha! It’s become one of my favorite features. And I’m an experienced manual driver.
This. 100% agree on both. Never thought I'd leave this feature turned on but now I love it. OP mine stays on all the time unless I go to settings and manually turn it off. Take it to the dealer get it fixed.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
That happens to me but usually just for one shift. It's kind of a once in a blue moon situation but sometimes it just bugs out and I get a nice forward jolt that reminds me why I love rev matching so much.

How often does it happen to you?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Test drove a Bullitt today, and that thing worked flawlessly. Impressive technology. Ha ha.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Mine is on all the time and works flawlessly. The only time it doesn't blip is at really low speeds if I'm going from 2nd to 1st. Mostly in parking lot situations.

If it isn't blipping perhaps you aren't dropping into the right gear. It is possible you are either too high or too low and the ECU is saying "nope".

Jasef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jase
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Bullitt
I have it in my '19 Bullitt and love it. I turn it off every once in a while to see if I really need it. After the first stoplight, it's turned back on :-)

If your Rev Match is turning off by itself, schedule an appointment and go get it fixed. It should not turn off by itself...mine never has, and you know the rev match happens on just about every downshift unless your RPMs are very close. Let us know what the dealer says the problem was.
Sponsored