Sponsored

Need input from 'mature' drivers ('19 GT Premium, MT86, AE, B&O, 401A, black pckg)

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
If you're going to use it for road trips, get the 401A (301A on coupes maybe?), the upgraded leather seats are very comfortable on long trips, and the drive modes and extra tech goodies make for an easy driving experience.
The 400a is the standard package in a Premium with the upgrade being the 401a, the 300a is the standard in a non-premium, 301a is the upgrade - however, GT convertibles only come in a Premium.

Once you’re at a GT Premium, I can’t imagine not getting the 401a, it’s relatively cheap at that point, and it has lots of nice additions and upgrades - among those the really awesome full LCD dash.

My ‘16 had the upgraded interior package that was separate from the 401a that year (it was called a Premier interior, mine was red), but it got incorporated into the 401a for the MY18+, and my ‘19 with the 491a is even a good bit nicer than that was, really solid materials, all the extra soft surfaces and stitching.

Yes, ACC is available on manual cars, my ‘16 PP/manual had it :)
Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Last edited:

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Even a non-PPx car??? It was my understanding the base suspension is very close to a PP1/MR car in normal (softest) mode. Are you saying a PP1/MR (in normal mode) car would ride better than a stock one? If that's the case, please let me know, because I'd drop a regular GT-P+ out of consideration, and get a GT-P+ PP1/MR car instead (like the Bullitt).
A non PP is to soft for my liking, handling wont be dialed in. A PP without MR is to stiff specially for long trips you will regret it.The PP with MR is just perfect as you can change the modes to whatever you feel at that time.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Wouldn't a set of $200 springs from one of the many reputable manufacturers take care of that softness? I think I remember the OP saying the car should be fit for long road trips. Long road trip comfort and track handling typically don't go together...but a set of springs would bring the two closer together, is my thoughts. It will be interesting to see what he actually settles for. I'm all for MR but it is not the end all...or there would't be any cars on the road without it.

A non PP is to soft for my liking, handling wont be dialed in. A PP without MR is to stiff specially for long trips you will regret it.The PP with MR is just perfect as you can change the modes to whatever you feel at that time.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Wouldn't a set of $200 springs from one of the many reputable manufacturers take care of that softness? I think I remember the OP saying the car should be fit for long road trips. Long road trip comfort and track handling typically don't go together...but a set of springs would bring the two closer together, is my thoughts. It will be interesting to see what he actually settles for. I'm all for MR but it is not the end all...or there would't be any cars on the road without it.
You are right though but I highly doubt that the OP would want to mess with springs. OP will come here and ask us again for our opinion which will just confuse him so more. Then realize that he should just have purchase a MagneRide equipped mustang. Regret is a B

Sponsored

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The steering wheel cap is integrated into that center component
I'm not sure about that, but will research that more if I end up with a Bullitt. The airbag is typically attached to the steering wheel, not the horn cap. But it can be. Somebody with a service manual should be able to tell us. I'd replace that cap for a GT one. People change steering wheels all the time, so it can't be that difficult. We'll see. Ha ha. Having said that, what bothers me the most is the Bullitt exterior fake cap, since the car is pretty much devoid of any other logos or stickers outside, which I really liked. But you solved that problem with that link you posted (which I already bookmarked), so THANK YOU :). And the good news is it's easily reversible, when car is sold. And same thing with the steering wheel cap (if I can change it easily). Other than that, the rest of the Bullitt package doesn't bother me. I like that it has ALL options I want standard, so it's easy to shop for one. Just have to make sure MR wasn't deleted, and no Recaros.

Ohio does not require that you come there to buy the car.
That is good news, if I can't find anything else closer. Thank you. And also thank you for your service. Need to find out details of the deal, now that you mentioned those 'hiccups'.

a PP with MR might ride smoother than a non-PP car.
By now it's clear PP1+MR is the way to go, and I'll stick with that :D. And also that GTs loaded like you described (which is exactly the way I'd buy it), are great touring cars with everything dialed in on the light side. But you can quickly turn them into fire-breathing dragons, which is also what I want :D.
Will look into TURO and CarGurus; thank you very much.
I'm very familiar with engine noises, and the Coyote 'ticks' I've heard are perfectly normal IMO. The 2K rattle don't know what it is, but if it can be easily avoided, not worried about that either. Mechanical idiosyncrasies are very different from mechanical issues; I'm not bothered by the former. And having an F-150 now, I know what to expect quality-wise from Ford. The shock is over. Ha ha.

Here are two (2) fully loaded GT Premium with 401A, 10 Speed, Ford Safe and Smart, B&O HD radio, MagneRide, Enhanced Security, Active Exhaust & the GT Performance Package.
Thanks a million, but if you could find me manuals, and closer to my house (79932), it'd be MUCH better. Ha ha. Just kidding brother. I also want to find a 2019 for better discounts. And on that note, may I ask the experts here what amount would be the minimum less to justify an already depreciated new 2019, over a new 2020? In other words, what would make a 2019 a better value than a 2020: $4K less? $5K? Thank you. That way I can decide on the better value, even if it's a bit more money.

Wouldn't a set of $200 springs from one of the many reputable manufacturers take care of that softness?
Not going to do that :D. But I'm convinced PP1+MR is the way to go, based on the ample insight on this thread alone.

You are right though but I highly doubt that the OP would want to mess with springs.
Indeed. Ha ha. And I'm not confused anymore, now that I have more knowledge about this car. As I mentioned, it's clear the PP1+MR car is about as stiff as a non-PP car, and maybe a bit more, but it's actually more compliant, so my wife would feel it less. I understand exactly what that means, and that's exactly what I want, since you end up with the best of both worlds. So yes, PP1+MR are an absolute must-have option now. Thank you very much guys.

To end on a positive note, found FOUR 2019 Bullitts locally. Unfortunately the crappiest dealer has them, but my wife will leave for the weekend, so I should be able to sneak out of the house on Saturday, go there, try to test-drive them (or at least look at the cars in person), and even take my truck's title, in case the unimaginable happens, and they want to deal both ways. Hope never dies (ha ha). Will take my N95 mask too, and take precautions, because I'm quite vulnerable now, but it should be safe to look at cars outside, and even test-drive them if salesman rides in the back, and doesn't speak. Will keep you posted folks. And a million thanks again for the awesome help you have provided. Can't wait to become part of the GT family :D.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Elp - I'd think most dealerships would let a 58 y/o who's leaving a truck titled in his name in the lot would be allowed to take a test drive without the salesperson along. Particularly in your specific situation, what with your obvious vulnerability.

Norm

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I'm not sure about that, but will research that more if I end up with a Bullitt. The airbag is typically attached to the steering wheel, not the horn cap. But it can be. Somebody with a service manual should be able to tell us.
You don't have to be unsure, it's exactly as I've indicated. The round, center section of the steering wheel is the airbag module, it sits on top of the horn switch, the logo is part of that component. There's a guy right on this forum, with a Bullitt, that swapped his OEM one for the GT350 part just to get the snake/Shelby logo (and get rid of the Bullitt logo), and funny enough, he also put on a Ford blank trunk panel.

Like I said, another guy covered it with some kind of concave mirror that he painted, looked cool, but if course, that's going to be a projectile, if the airbag deploys.

FWIW, I'm running a Ford blank panel too, but it's because I wanted to use a non-OEM rear badge (Coyote), that didn't use the factor pin holes (or cover all them of them up).

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I'm also running a Ford blank panel since I added my own custom lettering.

RalphK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Just throwing in my 2 cents on a couple of points. I have a 2016 F150 4x4 and a new GT PP2, both have the coyote engines along with previous vehicles with coyote engines. No problems engine wise on any of them and they will go between oil changes with no oil consumption. Knock on wood.
As for the ride and noise, the mustang will not be as quiet or ride as smooth as my F150. We have a lot of crappy roads where I live and it is more noticeable in the mustang but that has a lot to do with tires. On a smooth road the mustang is pretty quit, love the active exhaust.
The first thing I did was buy a new set of rims for the cup 2 tires and save them for the track, bought some all season tires for the wife to daily drive, 305/30-19 all the way around.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
TC, before you buy a Bullitt, at least watch the movie! Perhaps you will at least appreciate where the name is coming from!

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
and better sounding exhaust, in addition to the MagneRide.
Is there a difference in the exhaust on the Bullitt??? Or maybe just due to the different intake (w/CAI) it has? Just curious.

Elp - I'd think most dealerships would let a 58 y/o who's leaving a truck titled in his name in the lot would be allowed to take a test drive without the salesperson along.
I didn't want to put miles on a new car too (I don't want any miles on mine), and felt bad using dealer just to drive their cars, so that also had something to do with that. But yes, if I pretend I want to buy it, I don't think it'd be a problem. The good news is a friend of mine has a friend at that dealership, and I told him exactly what is my goal, and he doesn't have an issue me driving the car (even if no deal), so feel better that way. Ha ha. I'll go tomorrow. They sold the green one, so just the 2 blacks left. Wanted the choice, but now it's gone. Also have to check condition and mileage of those cars, since they sit under the elements, and it's 100+ for months here. Might decide on a newer 2020 if that's the case. We'll see. But at least I should know for sure tomorrow if a Bullitt and/or PP1/MR is a go (as expected), and I could do everything online at that point if needed.

The round, center section of the steering wheel is the airbag module.
That was verified by another forum member, so I believe you now. Ha ha. And no, I wouldn't put ANYTHING on top of it, for the obvious reason you mentioned. Even if I find a cheap horn/airbag cover, I'll probably leave that alone, since the airbag could be damaged. Not worth the risk IMO. And it's too expensive to buy new, so it'll stay like that. Not a big deal. The rear was my #1 dissatisfaction, but already have a solution. And the car will look like it should: no freaking logos anywhere outside :D. Well, on the wheel caps, but I don't think they bother me. If they do, I'm sure they're flat ones available, and on the cheap. Or I just plasti-dip them :).

before you buy a Bullitt, at least watch the movie! Perhaps you will at least appreciate where the name is coming from!
Ha ha. That's what I was thinking yesterday, so I searched Netflix, but no dice. I think a cousin has the movie, so if I end up with a Bullitt, I can ask him to send it my way :D.

As a final comment, a Bullitt forum guy said that car does NOT have a sound tube, but it makes noise thru the sound system instead, just like my truck did (V8 fake sound). I disabled that immediately with FORScan. Hope it's disabled the same way on Mustangs. If not, there should be a spreadsheet file somewhere here too, like on the F150forum. Thank you guys. Have the appt tomorrow to see and drive the Bullitt. We'll see how it goes. Will report back after I'm back home. Thank you again for all the super help :).

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I didn't want to put miles on a new car too (I don't want any miles on mine), and felt bad using dealer just to drive their cars, so that also had something to do with that.
I don't recall making any clear statements of intent to buy a Mustang when my wife and I went to the dealership together. I'd been by myself a couple of times, but avoided getting into any conversations with members of the sales team. Our sales guy the day we both went (you do give the impression of being more serious about buying when the wife is there with you) was young and not of particularly large build, so I doubt that the rear seat would have been a deal-breaker for him to ride there. He just gave me the keys and off we went. Full disclosure - neither of us needs a very long test drive to determine how well (or not) any given car is going to 'fit'. Basically, how well/how easily does it drive and how comfortable is the seating is what we're looking for at that point.

And no, I wouldn't put ANYTHING on top of it, for the obvious reason you mentioned. Even if I find a cheap horn/airbag cover, I'll probably leave that alone, since the airbag could be damaged. Not worth the risk IMO. And it's too expensive to buy new, so it'll stay like that.
If you find it the Bullitt steering wheel styling to be that objectionable (I'm not all that crazy about it either, and I saw the movie when it was first-run in the theaters), I would think you could at least find some non-invasive means of subduing it. It'll still be there, just not to as insistent of a level.

I didn't like the bright surround treatment of the instruments and eyeball dash-level vents on my '08, so I scuffed the brightness down to a satin tone with some Scotchbrite. I keep telling myself that I might take it a bit further, but so far it's never gotten past the point of just thinking about doing anything further.

Norm

Last edited:

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
JC, you might consider, once you have decided what model/options. If time is not a big factor, maybe special order exactly what you want. I went this route. It was kinda nerve-racking following the order online, but you will have what you wanted. My dealer even locked the trade-in value we negotiated for what ever time it took for delivery. It worked out great for me. Good Luck.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
A little late to the party but I'll weigh in. I'm 53 but rarely am I considered mature, well at least by the wife. Skimming through 7pgs you and I have a lot in common. Old mustang in my youth check, 2018 3.5EB 4x4 FX4 check, Sour on GM check x10 and a few others. I have a 2019 GT Premium 6spd PP1 400A package, active exhaust and navigation.

The Active Exhaust is actually quieter inside the cabin than the stock exhaust when in quiet mode, correct?
Yes but I only use quiet to get out of the neighborhood if it is really early. In normal mode it is not loud at crusing speeds, you hear it but it is pleasant to me. You can go sport or track if you want to hear it sing.
Is the MT82 tranny that bad? I've got about 400K lifetime on three pedals. Shifting is not as precise as some I've had but I'm ok with it. I will make some upgrades to the shifter over time most likely. I have had zero problems with it. I agree with most on the clutch feel took me a bit to it sort out but now it's second nature. Some folks do not like the double overdrive gearing, "it's not good for the track" "the old one was better geared" and so on. Too each his own I guess. It's a bit odd to me it being overdrive gears in 5 & 6. I personally love the gearing of the car. The gear spread works for me around town and on the road.
Concerning long trips: As stated above my daily is a F150. Before the mustang we traveled on trips in my wifes 2016 expedition. She loves it, it reminds me of a kids bouncy castle you see at parties going down the road. At 80mph I have to "drive it" with the mustang its a dream crusing 80mph, just effortless. Have had it up to 100mph and find it to be glued down and barely breaking a sweat. One trip in it and my wife declared it our travel car. The PP1 is fairly stiff but she is good with it. For both of us its very comfortable. Seats are good for both of us. We only use the heat on the seats, a must for my wifes lower back issues. The tires are a bit noisy but they are PS 4s, I expected this. No complains with the AC it will freeze us out. Getting in and out is easy for both of us. Recently rode in a 2019 camaro was not fun getting in and out of compared to the mustang.
Any suggestions to make the car quieter: Would say go drive an active exhaust. To me its still a pony car with some rough edges that have sort of been rounded down. Cheapest way to make it quieter is turn up the stero until you can't hear the car anymore, works for me.

You say you are looking to get a sporty, fun to drive car. People rave about the PP2 Magneride and I agree that it will serve you well. However you will be on big summer only tires right out of the box and it looks like you may be locked into a Bullitt to get it. Might consider driving a mustang GT with a stock suspension it may susprise you and fit your needs. That would open you up to a much larger range of available cars.

So I'll throw this in as well. Would I change anything on my car? I went with the 400a package with the more traditional dash. I wanted it to feel like my old 67. Having seen more of the digital dash if I had it to do over I might have gone that direction.

Overall I am loving my mustang, it's a jack of all trades to me. Quick little 1/4 miler, fun on the twisty back roads and effortless on the interstate.

Good luck in your search, hope you find your dream car and put a million miles on it.
Sponsored