Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
My hearing must be jacked. I didn't think, and cannot even tell my GT has sound piped in. Really? I was shocked to see this thread.

It was obvious on my Focus ST, and I did not like it.
Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I fiddled with the 10mm nut for a good 30 minutes using extensions and swivels and took it off but agree that just ripping it off makes sense. I always wondered what the difference was with it out, especially since in a lot of older posts guys were saying they couldn't hear the difference.

What I can say for sure is that at idle, sitting at a light, etc. the interior is noticeably quieter. Once you tip into the throttle I hear no difference with it in or out and I think that's the point of it, to pipe in some "cool noises" while you're sitting still. I was hoping it had something to do with the mild drone at around 2300 RPM but it had no effect on that at all. As soon as I clean up my shop, I'm cutting out the resonator and throwing in a Steeda H-Pipe. We'll see what that does for the drone.
From my experience doing the same thing, the H pipe made everything louder, including the drone. Took it back out and sold it.

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500; 2021 Mach-e GT Performance
[QUOTE="GTFURY, As soon as I clean up my shop, I'm cutting out the resonator and throwing in a Steeda H-Pipe. We'll see what that does for the drone.[/QUOTE]
You'll like the Steeda H-pipe; no drone and sounds great

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
My hearing must be jacked. I didn't think, and cannot even tell my GT has sound piped in. Really? I was shocked to see this thread.

It was obvious on my Focus ST, and I did not like it.
I didn't think much of it on my 2012 until I bought a Flowmaster Outlaw axle back and the drone was so bad it was giving me headaches after extended highway driving. Then I deleted the sound tube and it was 10x better in the cabin. Still had bad drone but at least it wasn't damaging my ear drums. Switched that axle back out for the FRPP unit anyways which was way better. But I think if you have a loud droney exhaust and remove it, you will notice a lot less low frequency drone in the cabin.

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't think much of it on my 2012 until I bought a Flowmaster Outlaw axle back and the drone was so bad it was giving me headaches after extended highway driving. Then I deleted the sound tube and it was 10x better in the cabin. Still had bad drone but at least it wasn't damaging my ear drums. Switched that axle back out for the FRPP unit anyways which was way better. But I think if you have a loud droney exhaust and remove it, you will notice a lot less low frequency drone in the cabin.
Now that y'all planted that seed.. lol... I can kind of tell now at idle. It does have that muscle car "glug glug" cam type sound. That or its just me. :crazy: I am completely stock, BTW (for now).

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I've read more than one post that says people don't really notice the sound tube delete that much until adding a louder exhaust. I tried the NXT axle-backs and sold them because of the unbelievable booming tone at startup, it was almost unnatural and now am wondering how much the sound tube contributed to it. Will be installing LTH Scorpion axle-backs in a week or so, they have a J-tube to reduce drone but am now really optimistic that they'll sound great with the sound tube removed.

Kilo_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 5.0 401A, PP1,Magnetic Gray
Good evening.

Any issues with removing the sound tube if the vehicle is under warranty?
The only real sound tubes needed come out the back of the car.

Thanks

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Good evening.

Any issues with removing the sound tube if the vehicle is under warranty?
The only real sound tubes needed come out the back of the car.

Thanks
I don't see any possible way it could affect any warranty, and in fact would be shocked if any dealer even realized it was gone.

Kilo_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 5.0 401A, PP1,Magnetic Gray
I don't see any possible way it could affect any warranty, and in fact would be shocked if any dealer even realized it was gone.

Just figured I would asked before pulling mine.

thanks.

Sponsored

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I just ripped it out, without taking the nut off. Tube didn't get damaged at all.
I should have just done this. I actually was able to access the nut from underneath the car, I did disconnect the steering shaft to make the nut easier to get to. Used a regular 10mm ratcheting wrench. Definitely not the easy way to do it, lol

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I used a ratcheting box wrench,10 mm, with flex head, with my left hand.
Ditto. I heard doing it from under the car might be easier. Also, many people just rip the tube off the firewall and leave the nut on the stud. Before calling me stupid for NOT just ripping it off, I could not see leaving the weight of the nut since the GT is so nose heavy anyway.

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
This is probably a really dumb question, but I don't get the logic for removing the sound tube? That's assuming you like the sound of your engine, which I do. Surely you're just getting less engine noise in the cabin to enjoy?

vincentjm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vincent
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT PP
This is probably a really dumb question, but I don't get the logic for removing the sound tube? That's assuming you like the sound of your engine, which I do. Surely you're just getting less engine noise in the cabin to enjoy?
It gets overbearing with a loud exhaust and an open intake. Also cleans up the engine bay nicely. Plus I absolutely cannot stand any "trickery" personally (to be fair though, it's actual mechanical intake noise, rather than some software stuff like on BMW's).

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Because its FRIKIN ugly...ugly ugly ugly...

I just pulled mine out as well - one quick tug and its off. Reached in and popped in the cap for the firewall hole and viola it was done.
Sponsored