Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My CAI was not acceptable and did not fit the throttle body inlet. The socket welds on the rubber/plastic interface were misaligned, being out of alignment to the throttle body inlet about 15-20 degrees, making it impossible to connect.

Also noticed quite a few gaps in the high flow air box body, the main round let tube that connects to the cone filter is not sealed either, so I can see hot air getting to the box.

I have figured out how to make my stock filter box assembly work, so I pan on dropping in a AFE element and using my original box.

Don't want to go through the hassle of having to most likely be forced to take the throttle body and adapter off and return the entire system, then wait for Ford to tell me nothings wrong.

So I still don't have a report on how it feels with the upgrade.
Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
So I feel pretty stupid, but after some research and an email to Ford, it appears that 2018+ have NLS in the stock calibration. I've never tried it personally, and there are quite a few differing opinions out there on wether it works or not.
It was advertised as a feature on 2018's but pretty much nobody has been able to use it

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-factory-no-lift-shift-other-questions.104785/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2019-no-lift-shift.125619/

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500; 2021 Mach-e GT Performance
Last edited:

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering if Ford could have went with some tune using stock airbox instead or a brand new designed closed CAI, would lower costs and and also reduce IAT

akitteh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaakko
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
Getting mine installed tomorrow, will post butt dyno check when done :-) Went with it for the warranty, car a year old - even if I'm going to continue modding it (steeda suspension bits next). Throttle body is a nice upgrade over the Roush, glad I waited.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
My CAI was not acceptable and did not fit the throttle body inlet.
So the way this thing fits on the throttle body either sucks or I can't put it right. Doesn't slide all the way in on the top - is that what you had ?

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
So the way this thing fits on the throttle body either sucks or I can't put it right. Doesn't slide all the way in on the top - is that what you had ?
I think the 87mm TB is supposed to be flipped upside down compared to the stock unit. Although that's not demonstrated in the instructions.

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
I think the 87mm TB is supposed to be flipped upside down compared to the stock unit. Although that's not demonstrated in the instructions.
The instructions are not that good, but they do show TB with sensor on left, vice right like stock. Fit of hoses/air tube was not ideal.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Plug location for the harness is little different but the very last pic in the instruction still shows the black plastic piece where plug sits on the left side - turning it around will likely make attaching harness impossible due to harness length and also since the outlet of the throttle body is a cylinder, I don't see how would it change the fit of the intake tube on it...

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
kz,

Sounds like what I had. No way to make mine fit, we even disassembled the new air box and tried to reverse install, with the inlet tube attached to the TB first, then we attempted clamp it back into the main air filter housing box. Way to much stress on the pieces and could see the inlet boot eventually pulling off the TB or the air filter housing being twisted/distorted and loosing it's seal on the hood.

Lastly Ford could have done a much better job of locating the ports for crankcase vent and brake booster.

Yea, it sucks big time to pay this kind of money and 1/3 of it will not work.

Sponsored

LetItRide1978

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
The instructions are not that good, but they do show TB with sensor on left, vice right like stock. Fit of hoses/air tube was not ideal.
Good point. Also it won’t fit if you try to bolt it up with the sensor on the other side. We tried just to make sure since the instructions were a little confusing. I checked a picture of a Bullitt engine bay and the hoses are routed a bit differently to make it look nicer/cleaner.

As for fitting the tube onto the TB, I held the tube in place while my girlfriend’s Dad clamped it down. It is tough to fit it perfectly but it will go on with a little muscle. I’ve been checking to make sure it stays in place and so far so good!

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ths install don't look like instructions for new throttle body. Here are pics. The sensor is on the left when looking at it from front of car. The tube goes over the long end of the throttle body..its a tight fit with the JLT oil catch can as in my pic.
20200508_091227.jpg
20200508_091244.jpg

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
So this is how mine looks like - not the flange of the intake tube not sitting flush all the way in on the throttle body inlet on its top side.

I will work on it little more today since I was doing it late last night.
IMG_20200508_090642.jpg

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
@kz push in really hard..looks like you have it correct. Loosen tube a little and push in. I think mine was hard to set correctly as well. I'll take a close pic of the connection
Sponsored