Sponsored

10R80 something wrong or normal behavior?

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Hi everyone,

So my 2020 GT PP1 is a blast and I really do love it.....except the interior sounds and the quirkiness of the transmission. I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the following:

1. When slowing down and having the transmission downshift on its own (not via paddles), there are times from 4-2 or 3-1 it will have a “clunk” as if it’s a manual transmission. It’s very disconcerting because it feels like a very lazy shift like the gears are loose.

2. Once again, only sometimes, when slowing down the power delivery will have a 1-2 second hesitation where no amount of depressing the gas pedal will send power to the engine.

I took it once to get it checked out and the dealer just reflashed the software. It didn’t help for long.

Anyone else experience anything strange with the 10R80?

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This is the most complete 10R80 thread on this site. The answers you seek to many of the 10R80 functional issues posted across the site are in the below thread along with resolutions.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...hift-conditions-facts-and-resolutions.135463/

The first thing to do with a 10R80 is to check the fluid level AND make sure the fluid level is filled to the proper mark on the dipstick. There has not been an explanation yet, but many 2018+ S550 10R80 owners are finding low factory fill levels.

Patriot Six

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Yup, my 10R80 was 1.5 qts low on fluid from the factory. It doesn't have such hard downshifts anymore, but I'm also Lund tuned. BTW, the 10R80 in my F150 has the same hard downshifts.

OP
OP

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Yup, my 10R80 was 1.5 qts low on fluid from the factory. It doesn't have such hard downshifts anymore, but I'm also Lund tuned. BTW, the 10R80 in my F150 has the same hard downshifts.
Interesting. I’m inclined to think the more aggressive the tune, the better it will behave.

Patriot Six

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Shifts with the Lund tune are definitely more aggressive in a good way, but I don’t have those clunking downshifts.

Sponsored

Patriot Six

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I think it definitely helped because there is a new shift strategy, but I would check the fluid first which is a PITA.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
Thanks! Will do. I know that now the dipstick is under the car .
under the car, passenger side, inches from the exhaust. and conicendently you need to get the transmission upto operating temp to get an accurate reading... make sure to have a bbq mit, welders glove, something to protect your hand while you reach in there

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
under the car, passenger side, inches from the exhaust. and conicendently you need to get the transmission upto operating temp to get an accurate reading... make sure to have a bbq mit, welders glove, something to protect your hand while you reach in there
I really suggest making sure you can unscrew the transmission dipstick while the engine is cold.
I got mine up to temp, put it on jack stands and could not get the thing to unscrew.
It's in just about the worst possible place! It doesn't look like it's that hard but I just can't seem to get enough leverage to break it free. I've tried from below and above and no luck.
I will get it eventually but thought you might want a heads up.

Sponsored

LOEzell

OldME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Convertible
Hi everyone,

So my 2020 GT PP1 is a blast and I really do love it.....except the interior sounds and the quirkiness of the transmission. I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the following:

1. When slowing down and having the transmission downshift on its own (not via paddles), there are times from 4-2 or 3-1 it will have a “clunk” as if it’s a manual transmission. It’s very disconcerting because it feels like a very lazy shift like the gears are loose.

2. Once again, only sometimes, when slowing down the power delivery will have a 1-2 second hesitation where no amount of depressing the gas pedal will send power to the engine.

I took it once to get it checked out and the dealer just reflashed the software. It didn’t help for long.

Anyone else experience anything strange with the 10R80?

Thanks
I had the same type shifting with my 2018 GT, 10 speed. It was really unsettling. By researching relevant threads on this forum, I found the solution was to use Forscan to clear out my Mustang’s adaptive memory. This process works great on my pony. Search the forums, learn to use a Forscan and you will be good to go.

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
WTF - the @#$& dip stick is UNDER the car? Who came up with that brilliant idea? If I’m no longer physically able to change my oil then how can I check the trany fluid - can I assume this will be done when I get the oil changed at my Ford dealership?

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
WTF - the @#$& dip stick is UNDER the car? Who came up with that brilliant idea? If I’m no longer physically able to change my oil then how can I check the trany fluid - can I assume this will be done when I get the oil changed at my Ford dealership?
its my understanding the industry as a whole is moving towards "maintenance free" transmissions..

i remember when i bought my last vehicle before the mustang, in 2015. the salesman was trying to sell me on the fact that i didnt have to maintain the transmission anymore or worry about checking the fluid, it was "sealed" and if it ever needed maintenance that a mechanic would take care of it.. i told him, i didnt think that was a selling point, i'd rather be able to check the fluid level myself.

evidently thats the way things are moving, i guess

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
I have also spoken to A10 owners having some odd issues and found out their transmission fluid was extremely low on brand new vehicles. So it's always a good idea to verify it has fluid when they act up or shift oddly. Then as some others have also mentioned a custom tune really seems to help pick up the slack on these A10 cars and we've been able to address a great deal of peoples dislikes about their car's trans behavior they had stock. We're able to eliminate the skip shift, improve shift points, firmness, decrease torque management, and more. Makes the car feel much more responsive when going to pass or merge on the freeways to eliminate that gear hunt / search feeling they have when going to suddenly down shift. Our Mycal touch tuning device also has a diagnostics and tools menu that let's you reset the adaptive memory and KAM memory as well.