Sponsored

Need input from 'mature' drivers ('19 GT Premium, MT86, AE, B&O, 401A, black pckg)

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I have a '19 GT with PP1, Magneride, MT-82, and active exhaust. It is great on long trips, the engine is quiet in 6th gear and the suspension is not harsh in normal mode. The tires are kind of noisy so your idea of AS tires makes sense. I added a valve to the "sound symposer" to shut that off, if I want noise I can change the active exhaust.
For trips you probably want a real spare tire, Automotive Authority has one. No complaints about the xmsn or shifter. Oh, and I get 25-26 mpg running close to 80 mph.
Sponsored

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
Hey JC have you checked out the article explaining the Magna ride system, on the forums home page? It's a good read.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have a 2018 GT convertible with premium package, 401A and standard exhaust. It's a pleasant riding and reasonably quiet car at cruising speeds. Everything works as expected. The dash and other tech features are nice. The seat cooling works if you aren't too big and heavy. Otherwise, you block most of the air flow. But, I've had that problem with every cooled seat I've owned. I kept the standard 18" puny wheels because our roads destroy bigger rims and tires. I sold my 997.2S cabriolet because wife hated it and refused to ride in it. She loves the Mustang. The only downsides to the Mustang is it big and heavy and build quality is not close to German cars. But, I couldn't find any other convertible that has a rear seat, a decent ride, good performance and doesn't weight 2 tons. The closest thing I could find was a BMW 650.

lonefire

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lone
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have 2019 GT 400A with the active exhaust but no digitial dash. I dont have the pony button on my steering wheel so I dont know if my active exhaust changes when I change the drive mode switch. Even in normal mode with the windows up I hear "backspit" so no complaints with it being too quiet.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Good to hear there're 4 modes now. What I'm curious about is where lies the stock suspension among the MR modes. Anybody? I'd guess between normal and sport, just like the stock exhaust lies between normal and sport too, but curious.

Hey, can't find any manual GT to test drive, other than several '19 Bullitts. What's the deal with those cars? Which tires does it come with? Only found 19" wheels, but not even width specified. Hopefully A/Ss. Those come already loaded with what I want: MT82, basically 401A (called 500A), 19" wheels, B&O, AE, and even MagneRide. And in addition, Brembo calipers, which sound GREAT.. but as long as it's not part of a performance package that will make the car ride harsh. Although maybe with MagneRide in normal, it wouldn't be worse than a stock GT-P, which would be perfectly fine with me. Oh, and is the shifter weighted? Or just different? I read that somebody makes the R lockout in billet; maybe that gives it enough heft that it feels weighted, no? Thx.
The Bullitt has 255/40/R19 on 9x19 in front and 275/40/R19 on 9.5x19 in rear. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. Very good warm weather tires. Very terrible traction at temperatures under 40 F because the compound gets so hard, so you'll definitely want A/S if you live in a cold area. I purchased the same size Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ for my 2018 GT PP1 A10 for the winter. They are great tires. Tons of dry traction. I've tackled curvy back roads with the all seasons with no problems. I honestly think both sets of Michelins are fairly quiet.

The Bullitt has the suspension (springs/sway bars), chassis tuning, brakes, and other stuff from the GT Performance package 1. It's rated at 20 more hp (460 vs 480 hp). In reality, it's not any quicker than a regular PP1 GT with a 6 speed, so I think the gain is just on paper. Magneride is an option, so double check on that - it makes a big difference in handling and feel.

Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
JC:
Do NOT test drive a GT350... it will all be over, you will be driving it home with a smile that will look like it was tatooed on your face!
I have drove both the GT's and the GT350.
I own a 718 so I know what you are used to in the handling department. The GT350 is closer than you think to the road holding ability.
I also COMPLETELY understand what you mean about l-----o-----n-----g trips in the Cayman; you have got to get out of the car at least every 2 hours to stretch and walk around, or your back and legs are going to be killing you.
The GT350 has been fine for l-----o-----n-----g trips... and I have the Recaro's, not the couch seats.
The GT's are great cars, but coming from a Cayman, let alone a GTS, the GT350 will not seem like such a step back.
Trust me on this one.......... don't test drive a GT350 if you aren't prepared to buy it...!
It's vehicular crack with stripes!!!!!!

Last edited:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
OP, I've driven mine on a 6 hour road trip and have no complaints. Miine does not have the mag ride or active exhaust, it is acutally lowered, aftermarket exhaust, and wide tires. We could still carry on a conversation at normal voice level. You won't have a problem at all on trips from the car you are considering. One question, did anyone tell you about the mpg you can expect, especially if you do a little spirited driving :)

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Cadillac CTS-V with manual transmission. Ultimate road trip car. Quite, super comfortable, plenty of room, excellent stereo, surprisingly good handling, fast as hell. You can get a 16' or 17' slightly used for around the same price as a new GT. Don't get me wrong, I love these Mustangs, but if the intent is to road trip I think there are better choices.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
This forum is GREAT :D. Wasn't expecting even a quarter of the replies. Ha ha. Okay, so doing A LOT of progress, thanks to you. So the Bullitt is basically a PP1 car then, but combined with 401A, B&O, AE, and the security package. The green is awful, but it's available in black, which I did NOT want to have again, but guess it might be a consideration if everything else fails. The 2 local ones have MR, so have a few questions on that, and PP1, compared to stock:
- How does a GT-P car with stock suspension rides vs a PP1 with MR in the softest mode? Need this info to see if a PP1 car is considerable or not.
- How does a GT-P car with stock suspension handles vs a PP1 car with MR? Curious about that compromise (if any). The only unfortunate aspect of PP1 is the damn tires, which would be about 2 grand to replace. Guess could always sell the PS4Ss for a good chunk. Glad to hear A/S3s are available in the same sizes. If a PP1 MR car has similar ride and noise to a GT-P with stock suspension, then I could consider PP1s then, like the Bullitt, since I saw several of those at $11K discounts. I don't like the wheels, or green (or black) color, but it's an option if significantly cheaper than others.Hey, is the shifter any different on the Bullitt than the others? I also didn't like the CAI on the Bullitt, which probably makes more noise, but please comment on that too. I don't care for an extra 20HP either, which no way you could tell.

As far as the GT350, it definitely sounds nice (a neighbor has one), but can't swing one, so don't even want to drive one indeed. Ha ha. And none available locally anyway. Plus dealers always tack on a lot over the MSRP. Fully loaded new '19 Bullitts are advertised from $53K+ to $42K, so not that bad. Don't think I could buy a nice Japanese or European car for that much, even if not the most sophisticated of cars. Ha ha. I got used to the 'idiosyncrasies' of my 2018 F-150 Plat FX4, so you could say I'm used to Ford by now. Ha ha.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
I can say my 2017 GT350 with MR rides much nicer over tough terrains (even in sport mode) than my 2015 Mustang GT PP1 did.

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Hey gang, looking to get a sporty, fun to drive car. Needs to be comfortable on trips so the wife goes with me, meaning a decent ride, decently quiet, comfortable, etc. So performance options are out. The only 'semi-performance' option I'm adding is the black package, since the stock wheels are ugly as hell, and the tires puny. The 255/40/19s are a good compromise IMO. For comparison, I use now my 2018 F-150 Platinum FX4 for trips, and my wife is happy with the seats, noise levels, and ride quality (although barely on that, since a live-axle truck unloaded doesn't ride that nicely). I basically want to row my own gears, much prefer a V8, and want it to be decently fun in the twisties. I had to sell my beloved 2016 Cayman GTS loaded to the gills ($100K+), with every luxury and performance option available, because it was awful on trips, and it just sat in the garage. I work from home, so I basically don't drive except for trips.

So how good is the Mustang GT premium as a travel car? If not good enough, then I'd have to look for a 6-cyl European or Japanese manual car next. Then a 4-cyl turbo. And finally, a luxury sedan if can't find a sporty car that can be quiet when you want it to. Here are my questions about the Mustang:

1. The Active Exhaust is actually quieter inside the cabin than the stock exhaust when in quiet mode, correct? If that's the case, which it should be, then AE is a must-have option, and the best of both worlds, since I can turn it loud when I want to.

2. Is the MT82 tranny that bad? I'd never rush shifts, so don't need that. BUT I like precise shifting, and a mechanical 'snick, snick' feel, to know what the shifter is doing. Hondas have that. My Porsche was precise, but lacked feel, due to a cable linkage. Is the MT82 cable or rod linkage? If not a great shifter, can just adding a weighed shift knob (options welcome) improve it enough to be enjoyable? If a new shifter is needed, which options are recommended, and do they increase the probability of grinding gears? And what's the 'clutch spring' mod I keep reading consists of? And why it's needed? Curious about that. Also about clutch effort needed. And how about reliability without abuse? Synchros? The Tremec on my last Vette had a defective 2nd gear synchro right off the bat (a weird 'sideways' design still present today, so a Tremec for me would be a deal-breaker). Finally how about the clutch feel and effort? Elaborate all you want on this issue, please. Haven't been able to test-drive a Mustang yet.

3. Those who own a '19 or newer (or older if exactly the same), who have done long trips on their Mustangs, please comment on all (good and bad) aspects of that. I live in TX, so usually travel at 80+ most of the time. Roads are horrible, so A/S tires are a must, which the black package has, although not great at all (Zero Neros). Are the ventilated seats effective? How about the A/C? Please comments on all aspects of travel comfort.

4. Any suggestions to make the car quieter, please discuss it here. Heard there's a 'tube', which I imagine is an intake tube to pipe engine sound to the cabin. Where is it? And how easy is to remove? And how much noise it eliminates? I HATE intake noise, so I'd definitely remove that. If I want to hear the engine, that'd be the job of the AE in sport mode. Are the front windows double-pane, like on my truck? With the window open, you can easily see the 'sandwich' if so equipped.

That's it for now folks. And if some young guys also enjoy a relatively quiet car, and have a car similarly equipped like I specified at the beginning, please jump in. But the majority are only interested in making them noisier and quicker, hence calling for 'mature' drivers. Ha ha. I'm 58, so not into that anymore. And battling cancer for 5 years, I can't have multiple cars anymore, so it has to be a jack of all trades. Thank you all in advance for your help.
JC
1. Pass ...unless you like loud
2. Gorilla shifting not allowed...otherwise excellent for a manual
3. Passenger seat is very Very comfortable on the premium package.
4. Really It’s not that loud ...your test drive made you think otherwise?

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
OP it sounds more and more like a little noise at all will bother you. I'm going to have to say if you are looking for ultra cushy and quiet, and not worried about performance, there are a lot of cars from different manufacturers that might be the way to go. I know you said you are 58 or so, not my business but if you or your wife have health issues that keep you from enduring a few bumps here and there and whisp of noise here and there, something on the touring side is probably what you want to look at. Loads of members on here that are much older than you, that are able to enjoy their Mustangs. Most of us do recommend the Mustang, but it's because it is what we have and enjoy.... I highly suggest taking a few different cars for a test drive, to include the Mustang before making your decision. One of the worst situations is to buy a new car and then within a few months, realize it is not for you.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Don't get me wrong, I love these Mustangs, but if the intent is to road trip I think there are better choices.
I'd welcome that input as well :D. After my 3rd defective Corvette (LS1, LS2, and 3rd finally LS3 right, but Tremec tranny defective), I swore never a GM again, and have kept my word so far. Ha ha. And those supercharged engines have been problematic on Z06s since the beginning. But open to other options, in case a Mustang doesn't pan out. Thank you.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
This forum is GREAT :D. Wasn't expecting even a quarter of the replies. Ha ha. Okay, so doing A LOT of progress, thanks to you. So the Bullitt is basically a PP1 car then, but combined with 401A, B&O, AE, and the security package. The green is awful, but it's available in black, which I did NOT want to have again, but guess it might be a consideration if everything else fails. The 2 local ones have MR, so have a few questions on that, and PP1, compared to stock:
- How does a GT-P car with stock suspension rides vs a PP1 with MR in the softest mode? Need this info to see if a PP1 car is considerable or not.
- How does a GT-P car with stock suspension handles vs a PP1 car with MR? Curious about that compromise (if any). The only unfortunate aspect of PP1 is the damn tires, which would be about 2 grand to replace. Guess could always sell the PS4Ss for a good chunk. Glad to hear A/S3s are available in the same sizes. If a PP1 MR car has similar ride and noise to a GT-P with stock suspension, then I could consider PP1s then, like the Bullitt, since I saw several of those at $11K discounts. I don't like the wheels, or green (or black) color, but it's an option if significantly cheaper than others.Hey, is the shifter any different on the Bullitt than the others? I also didn't like the CAI on the Bullitt, which probably makes more noise, but please comment on that too. I don't care for an extra 20HP either, which no way you could tell.

As far as the GT350, it definitely sounds nice (a neighbor has one), but can't swing one, so don't even want to drive one indeed. Ha ha. And none available locally anyway. Plus dealers always tack on a lot over the MSRP. Fully loaded new '19 Bullitts are advertised from $53K+ to $42K, so not that bad. Don't think I could buy a nice Japanese or European car for that much, even if not the most sophisticated of cars. Ha ha. I got used to the 'idiosyncrasies' of my 2018 F-150 Plat FX4, so you could say I'm used to Ford by now. Ha ha.
The PP1 GT can be had with 401A, B&O, AE, etc. I can't share direct experience on the GT-P vs. GT P w/ PP1 and MR. I can say that based on the many reviews out there from Motortrend, Road and Track, Car and Driver, etc., the MR equipped cars are substantially better handling and feeling than the regular PP1 cars. I can also say that my car is comfortable and handles wonderfully and it is a MR PP1 car. It's a perfect daily driver for me, in that I can choose between normal and more aggressive settings anytime I choose.

Regarding the tires - it won't cost you $2k. I spent around $1,100 installed late last fall (2019) on the Michelin A/S 3+ after rebate, which is what I think you should end up with as they are the best A/S tires out there IMO. The MPS4S are more expensive, but I doubt you'd be replacing with those anyway.

Since you haven't been around here much, you should probably know that the A10 GT PP1 is significantly quicker than the M6 models. 1/2 second quicker to 60 mph and in the 1/4 mile, and traps +5 mph over the M6. Car and Driver got 0-60 in 3.8 sec, 1/4 mile in 12.1 @ 120 mph. Motortrend went 3.9 sec, and 12.1 @ 118.8 mph. The A10 PP1 cars are very quick for a factory car these days. Many people dip into the upper 11s bone stock. That 10 speed trans. keeps the engine in its upper power band very, very well. I used to be a manual guy, until I drove the A10. Something to consider...

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Not that I blame you after your experiences...but other than the 2015 Z06 having cooling issues with the auto tranny, what other issues are you speaking of?

I'd welcome that input as well :D. After my 3rd defective Corvette (LS1, LS2, and 3rd finally LS3 right, but Tremec tranny defective), I swore never a GM again, and have kept my word so far. Ha ha. And those supercharged engines have been problematic on Z06s since the beginning. But open to other options, in case a Mustang doesn't pan out. Thank you.
Sponsored