Sponsored

S550 to 5.2L Vodoo?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
By the time you screwed around with an NA build, you could have gone forced induction for even more power. If you just want more power without a huge headache, get a straight forward supercharger kit and don't go max effort.

I want to do an NA build on my car for my own reason which I cannot be talked out of. I know it's not economical. I know it's a pain in the ass. I know that it's a bit of a rabbit hole. I'm not looking for the "best option" but the option I want.
Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
The octane # is given to illustrate what it takes to get the power advertised. Nowhere does it say that 101 octane is "required" to run these engines safely. But if you want those power numbers, that's what you have to run.
Exactly. It can run on 87 with enough timing pulled and valve overlap.

All I said is with emissions equipment and pump gas, we’ll see 40hp and 20tq less. That’s all.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
By the time you screwed around with an NA build, you could have gone forced induction for even more power. If you just want more power without a huge headache, get a straight forward supercharger kit and don't go max effort.

I want to do an NA build on my car for my own reason which I cannot be talked out of. I know it's not economical. I know it's a pain in the ass. I know that it's a bit of a rabbit hole. I'm not looking for the "best option" but the option I want.
How much hp can be achieved with a full bolt on/stage 3 ported heads/more aggressive cams on the GT350? I wonder if the larger displacement offsets the DI gains compared to the Gen 3 Coyote of a similar build (FBOs/ported heads/cams), or if they are a wash?

I'm a fan of high horsepower NA engines as well, esp. for cars that don't see much time at the drag strip as the power is more usable on the street than torque monsters (i.e., Hellcat) IMO. And with the A10, a high hp NA engine with a flat top end hp curve is a great match. I have a few bolt ons currently in the works on my '18 A10 PP1, and plan to do the full Monte once my warranty expires in 4.5 years (LTHs w/ hi flow cats + ported heads/cams). You can do ported heads and aftermarket cams for much less than a supercharger kit, so it's not the economics so much as the hp limits compared to FI. Sure, a heads/cams car won't have as much hp, but it'll be quite a lot for a street car. And over 100 lbs lighter in the nose than the exact same car with a supercharger kit.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Unless something changed:

upload_2020-5-4_14-15-23.jpeg

101 octane.
Hmm. Strange that there's no disclaimer on the power output on the Ford Perf. website. It eludes to the 580 hp rating being achieved with premium fuel since that is the fuel listed in the bulleted list.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
How much hp can be achieved with a full bolt on/stage 3 ported heads/more aggressive cams on the GT350? I wonder if the larger displacement offsets the DI gains compared to the Gen 3 Coyote of a similar build (FBOs/ported heads/cams), or if they are a wash?

You can do ported heads and aftermarket cams for much less than a supercharger kit, so it's not the economics so much as the hp limits compared to FI.
A supercharger is a bolt on...

But in all seriousness, I'm going to spend about $8K on a head port program, L&M GT350 Voodoo specific cams (there is no such thing as "Stage 3 cams" for the Voodoo head profile, not enough product volume capacity), supporting valvetrain, supporting crank and oil system support, headers, cats, and labor and tuning. Realistic is 540RWHP with sweet 93 octane. EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS for an 80RWHP gain. My goal isn't max power though. It's an engine that is Lamborghini Huracan capable in power and have an improved torque curve and powerband shape than Ford envisioned.

If you want a great street brawler, get a supercharger. End of story. If your mindset is lap times and you're actually doing them and not bench racing, then something like my vision is understandable.

You need to get some real world quotes from real shops about what an NA build would cost compared to just getting a simple Whipple or VMP Gen 2 and rolling out and not having to deal with headaches. My numbers are real quotes from shops who have built NA builds on Coyotes and Voodoo engines.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
A supercharger is a bolt on...

But in all seriousness, I'm going to spend about $8K on a head port program, L&M GT350 Voodoo specific cams (there is no such thing as "Stage 3 cams" for the Voodoo head profile, not enough product volume capacity), supporting valvetrain, supporting crank and oil system support, headers, cats, and labor and tuning. Realistic is 540RWHP with sweet 93 octane. EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS for an 80RWHP gain. My goal isn't max power though. It's an engine that is Lamborghini Huracan capable in power and have an improved torque curve and powerband shape than Ford envisioned.

If you want a great street brawler, get a supercharger. End of story. If your mindset is lap times and you're actually doing them and not bench racing, then something like my vision is understandable.

You need to get some real world quotes from real shops about what an NA build would cost compared to just getting a simple Whipple or VMP Gen 2 and rolling out and not having to deal with headaches. My numbers are real quotes from shops who have built NA builds on Coyotes and Voodoo engines.
Yikes. Can the head porting job be more aggressive to yield more gains? I like NA engines but $8k for 80 rwhp is a far stretch even for me. To each their own, though. For me, I can save a lot of cost by doing the labor myself. Hope it goes well for you.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Only reason I can see for getting a voodoo motor is the sound.

if you want the extra power you can easily get it in a 2nd gen 5.0 running low boost or a 3rd gen with bolt ons.

Before doing a 5.2 swap I would definitely move up to a gt350 though because you get better wheels/tires, transmission, suspension, better looking exterior, and such more more that it’s really not worth it do an engine swap

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yikes. Can the head porting job be more aggressive to yield more gains? I like NA engines but $8k for 80 rwhp is a far stretch even for me. To each their own, though. For me, I can save a lot of cost by doing the labor myself. Hope it goes well for you.

It's an intermediate displacement V8, honestly what were you expecting? This ain't no big displacement LS where the more you can uncork, the even more you get in return. Ford also already does a very good job with cylinder heads and the heads only have so much wiggle room too. 400cfm is about all you're getting. Frankenstein Engine Dynamics and RGR have seen 25 - 30RWHP with ported heads and the correct tuning.
Sponsored