Black vs Green and other Stuff.

coltgus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gus
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang Shadow Black
At 1st I thought green like in the movie, of course. But then I asked myself, "Forget about the movie, would I buy a green car, even a pretty green ?". The answer to that question wasn't just no, it was hell no. I think when clean black is the best car color. I counted in the registry and about 5% were black. An earlier thread did a poll and if I remember about 15% said they wanted or had black.
This Bullitt is the best car I've ever owned and my recent cars have been a new 2012 Porsche 911 6 speed and a new 2017 BMW M5 with the double clutch transmission which I just turned in as the lease was up. Why do I like it better than those other cars that cost at least double ? Because to me it's better in just about every way. It looks better, no question there. It is more comfortable to sit in and drive, it sounds better, the technology is much better and most important it performs very well and is more fun to drive. Even though those other cars might beat it in a quarter mile drag race it feels faster. That down shift rev matching is awesome.
Bottom line, I love this car even if it isn't green !
Sponsored

jonny10buds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt, 1972 Lincoln Continental MkIV, 2010 Honda Accord (daily driver)
I actually love green but could never bring myself to order any other car in green, I came close in ‘97 when ordering a new Sebring convertible but got shouted down in the showroom and ended up with Candy Apple Red, finally I’ve got a car that I could order in green with my head held high and I love it!

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Dark greens are my personal favorite color. I've had 2 black cars. NO way I'd take care of a 3rd that color no matter how much I like it. I'd have gotten a red or yellow before another black.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
The dark green is the uniqueness of the car and the nostalgia for the McQueen theme of the car. On a personal note, as a child I was always drawn to the color of emeralds. Furthermore as I was a little older a neighbor had the below car/color in their drive. The color (not the car, LOL) was striking and just stayed with me over the years. I dunno. :crazy:
3B8651B4-F409-45E7-A2BD-73C6AE9966E0.jpeg

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I generally don't like black wheels on cars but these have a silver machined edge around them which works for me ... but the black wheels on the black paint just make it perfect for me and why I bought black.
IMG_20200425_121424~2 (1).jpg
IMG_20200424_123224~2.jpg

Sponsored

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - My Irish and Scottish ancestry melded naturally with the Highland Green color of the Bullitt. I would have been happy with black if that had been the only color available. It’s a much nicer green than the original Bullitt. Black is a great car color too. My last Vette was black as is my current Impala. When black is clean and shiny it has a certain formal look that is tough to beat, but you have to keep it clean or it can look awful. However black is black in whatever weather conditions or time of day you’re viewing it. The current Highland Green appears dark green on a cloudy day, black at night and in the sun light it really pops and has a different hue because of the metallic content. So, you get 3 different car colors for the price of one - how can you beat that! I agree with the previous writer who complimented the silver machined edge on the wheels. That is a classy touch. My first cars had whitewalls. The less expensive models came with black tires, less chrome and poverty hub caps back then. That image has always stayed with me while also recognizing that preferences change over the years. So, in conclusion they’re both great colors..... as are red, blue, silver, etc, but not pumpkin orange! Bruce

Last edited:

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
You are welcome to like the color you like, but I am on team green. I am surprised that the the BUNNY allowed them to use black as well as green in the licensing agreement.

Now, if we are talking car colors in general, My focus is black and I absolutely loved the color. Time and Texas weather, however, is not kind to black so Saur's coat is showing its age a bit.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I've been a Bullitt lover for over fifty years. Had it come with the A10 I would have bought one in a heartbeat (bum knee). That said I'm a purist. If it is not HG, it's not a Bullitt. Do not get me wrong the car in black is still awesome, but for me a Bullitt is green.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Hi - Here a little poem about colors that you can whisper in your sweetheart’s ear during a romantic moment : I love red and I love blue, but most of all I love H I G H L A N D G R E E N !!! Don’t try that if she doesn’t have a sense of humor, otherwise quickly replace Highland Green with “Y O U” or prepare for a kick in the shins... Bruce

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I read somewhere that the reason Ford offers it in black is because the original Bullitt movie was filmed in black & white so the car looked black on-screen … not sure that's true though as colour movies were around back when Bullitt came out. Anyone know for sure?

Sponsored

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I read somewhere that the reason Ford offers it in black is because the original Bullitt movie was filmed in black & white so the car looked black on-screen … not sure that's true though as colour movies were around back when Bullitt came out. Anyone know for sure?
Hi - I seem to recall the movie was in color, but back then some people may have seen a re-run on a black and white T-V. In older movies such as cowboy movies the bad guys normally were dressed in dark colors and rode dark horses while the good guys wore white hats often rode light colored horses - think Roy Rogers. So, that’s probably why the charger was black... Bruce

P.S. Didn’t Dodge have a good guys in white hats promotion back in the ‘60s?

Last edited:

DSNOD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I really like the green and like that It stands out as the unique feature without any real badging on the car. That said, I didn't want to get sick of it over time and that drove me to prefer and buy the black one.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
To me the Bullitt is like James Bond in a tuxedo … ok, Steve McQueen in a tuxedo. Macho if it needs to be but classy and sharp otherwise. Not pretentious.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I saw it in the theaters and it was in color. My guess is that green can be a polarizing color and they wanted the most sales they could get. The second color had to be black just like the Charger!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Hi - I seem to recall the movie was in color, but back then some people may have seen a re-run on a black and white T-V. In older movies such as cowboy movies the bad guys normally were dressed in dark colors and rode dark horses while the good guys wore white hats often rode light colored horses - think Roy Rogers. So, that’s probably why the charger was black... Bruce

P.S. Didn’t Dodge have a good guys in white hats promotion back in the ‘60s?
Yup!

Sponsored