Broken rings - which route

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Don’t recall who is OPs tuner is. But I’m curious to what his suggestion is.
I think he suggested you go outside and play a game of “hide and go fook yourself”.

Just joking. Hope nobody takes themselves tooo seriously here. I dont...
Sponsored

Last edited:

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
I think he suggested you go outside and play a game of “hide and go fuck yourself”.
Who the fook is this guy?? Lol another ms Jackson account probably

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Using the sources you provided:

https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/handle/2027.42/140732
Chapter 19 of this analysis, they basically say high compression is far benefitial to low RPM power output and effeciency. At high RPM, While numerically there appears to be very little difference in performance at any of the settings, the higher compression ratio setting with late timing may result in some unusual engine torque pulsations due to the “double-peak” in the pressure function. Because of this, at high engine speeds and high loads, a lower engine compression ratio will be favored and coupled with a relatively early spark timing. At 7,000 rpm, there is only a slight penalty in power output at high compression ratios and late spark timing. There is virtually no effect on overall thermal efficiency or exhaust gas temperatures. Above 11.8:1 compression ratio, the ignition timing could not be retarded enough to produce a peak pressure under 80 bar. Completely the opposite of what you are arguing.

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/03/20180329-altima.html
Nissan did it because "A high compression ratio gives greater efficiency, but in certain applications poses the risk of premature combustion (knocking). A low compression ratio allows for greater power and torque, and avoids knocking."
We know you can avoid detonation with spark retard, but OEMs like predictability, reliability, and staying at MBT ignition using VC is, in theory, far better for MPG and HC emissions. IMO this design seems overly complicated, and a high risk of failure. Certainly not something that you could expect actual high performance out of, just your typical daily driver merging performance, that they consider " high performance" relative to highway cruising.

https://www.vehicular.isy.liu.se/Publications/MSc/03_EX_3421_AB.pdf
Saab's paper is all about reducing the jerk that occurs when increasing the compression ratio. Figure 1.1 shows a step in the compression ratio from 8 to 14 which results in an increased torque. A compression ratio step from 8 to 14 increases the output torque with about 20 %, and such a significant torque change can be felt as a jerk in the car movement. The goal for this thesis is to develop a torque controller that damps or eliminates the effect of compression ratio on the output torque. They, like nissan, want to use VC to avoid detonation, instead of spark advance. This paper certainly does not help your side of the argument. This is on page 1 in the introduction, did you even read it?

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.545.7064&rep=rep1&type=pdf
This MIT paper is about using Alcohol injection to avoid detonation. Yes more is needed at high compression ratios, because they produce more torque and cylinder pressure. More alcohol provides the higher octane. Another one of your sources that is in contrast to your argument. I know you were just looking at the detonation threshold between compression ratios, but there is far more to this than that factor alone when discussing torque output.

I think the pattern here is all these papers are attempts to figure out how to use a higher CR and avoid the detonation it causes in high loads (making too much torque for the octane), while still meeting the many targets placed on IC engines. Rather than seeing that the goal of the industry is higher CR, you are choosing to see lower compression allows for increased boost, which is some how turing into that makes more power, even though none of your sources specifically measure that, while some indicate the complete opposite, yet you ignore it.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
...The underlying limitation I believe is still octane.
This is absolutely 100% correct and what I've been saying from the beginning. When octane limited, the key to performance and reliability is to maximize BMEP while keeping Pmax and compression temperature and pressure in check. Octane does not inherently limit hp or torque/cid. If it did, we wouldn't see factory-stock, reliable, production engines making significantly more hp and torque/cid than supercharged Coyotes. Think about this: if you were to limit peak cylinder pressure (Pmax) to the stock level, but somehow retain higher pressure as the piston travels down the bore on the power stroke, then you get more power with no more chance of detonation or stress on the piston, rings, valves, rod, etc. This is one of the positive effects of lowering compression ratio. The pressure degrades slower on the power stroke so average torque applied to the crank is higher.

IMHO say you make 700whp at 12psi on 93. You drop to 10:1 (to not make it as bad as the aluminator’s 9.5:1). I don’t believe the 10:1 compression will suddenly allow you to push 15psi on same 93oct. I think you’ll be stuck at 13, maybe 14psi if you’re lucky. And break maybe even.
Another interesting data point was my prior vehicle, a 2015 F150 5.0 with a Whipple kit. I had the 3.5 pulley on it, which showed about 15 psi on gauge. This was on the Whipple cal and I always ran it on Shell 93 with no octane booster. I sold the truck with about 30k miles on it. The current owner beats on it mercilessly and is at around 80k miles now. It's melted cats twice but the engine is still in perfect condition. He even did a compression check recently and it was all good. I can't help but wonder if the reliability of that one was enhanced by the fact that the truck motors were half a number lower compression than the Mustang (10.5 vs 11). Guess we'll never know for sure...

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
This is absolutely 100% correct and what I've been saying from the beginning. When octane limited, the key to performance and reliability is to maximize BMEP while keeping Pmax and compression temperature and pressure in check. Octane does not inherently limit hp or torque/cid. If it did, we wouldn't see factory-stock, reliable, production engines making significantly more hp and torque/cid than supercharged Coyotes. Think about this: if you were to limit peak cylinder pressure (Pmax) to the stock level, but somehow retain higher pressure as the piston travels down the bore on the power stroke, then you get more power with no more chance of detonation or stress on the piston, rings, valves, rod, etc. This is one of the positive effects of lowering compression ratio. The pressure degrades slower on the power stroke so average torque applied to the crank is higher.
Which ones?

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Which ones?
Let's assume for a minute that a pump gasoline supercharged coyote makes about 600 ftlb at the crank, or about 2 ftlb/cid.

The quick and dirty answer based on my existing data set is:
3.5 EB gen 2, 10.5/1 CR: 2.2 ftlb/cid
3.53 EBHO, 10 CR: 2.4 ftlb/cid
3.5 EB GT, 9 CR: 2.6 ftlb/cid
2.7 EB, 10.3 CR: 2.4 ftlb/cid
Focus ST 2.0, 9.3 CR: 2.2 ftlb/cid
Ranger 2.3 EB, 10 CR: 2.2 ftlb/cid
Focus RS 2.3 EB, 9.4 CR: 2.5 ftlb/cid
BMW S58, 9.3 CR: 2.4 ftlb/cid
MB M133, M139, M264, M274, 8.6-10.5 CR: 2.2 - 3.0 ftlb/cid
Porsche 911 Turbo, 8.7 CR: 2.5 ftlb/cid
Lancer Evo, 9 CR: 2.5 ftlb/cid
Honda 2.0 turbo, 9.8 CR: 2.4 ftlb/cid
Honda 1.5t, 10.3 CR: 2.1 ftlb/cid

It would take a tad bit more digging on the hp side, so I'd have to get that to you later. However, the power/cid list is certainly shorter due to the coyotes excellent breathing up too. But you can pretty easily pick up on the 9/1 compression Ford GT making 3 hp/cid, the 9.3/1 BMW S58 making 2.75 hp/cid, and the 9/1 MB M139 making 3.4 hp/cid, as compared to the supercharged coyote making about 2.6 hp/cid and lacking the reliability of the aforementioned.

Last edited:

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT

You don't look at these sources you post to back up your theory at all do you?

This picture is from the deepblue.lib study chapter 19 page 64. The red lines show temperature, which is nearly the same for all CR's and peak cylinder pressures, just higher CR peaks a little later and lower(EGTs are lower). The pressure is the blue lines, and after peak, you can see they fall nearly identical. The major difference is the higher compression ratio has a "double peak" from the early spark, making it have a less "peaky" and more "flat" pressure curve. The actual pressure doesn't get as high it starts near the maximum already, but the adiabatic pressure actually peaks later with the temperature if you look closely. This is the "double peak." If spark advance was kept ideal it would be peak just like the lower CR, just to a much higher peak. Again the complete opposite of what you are saying. All lowering the compression does is limit the VE of the engine, making you have to rely on the efficiency of the FI more. When 20-30* above ambient is doing well with creating high boost, that is a problem. The key here is to not lower compression, but to have a great calibration and to not let IAT's get out of control to where the calibration cant reduce spark advance enough. If you are planning on running more than 10-11 PSI of boost, plan on upgrading your intercooler/ heat exchanger setup.
Tempature and pressure vs compression.PNG

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Let's assume for a minute that a pump gasoline supercharged coyote makes about 600 ftlb at the crank, or about 2 ftlb/cid.

The quick and dirty answer based on my existing data set is:
3.5 EB gen 2, 10.5/1 CR: 2.2 ftlb/cid
3.53 EBHO, 10 CR: 2.4 ftlb/cid
3.5 EB GT, 9 CR: 2.6 ftlb/cid
2.7 EB, 10.3 CR: 2.4 ftlb/cid
Focus ST 2.0, 9.3 CR: 2.2 ftlb/cid
Ranger 2.3 EB, 10 CR: 2.2 ftlb/cid
Focus RS 2.3 EB, 9.4 CR: 2.5 ftlb/cid
BMW S58, 9.3 CR: 2.4 ftlb/cid
MB M133, M139, M264, M274, 8.6-10.5 CR: 2.2 - 3.0 ftlb/cid
Porsche 911 Turbo, 8.7 CR: 2.5 ftlb/cid
Lancer Evo, 9 CR: 2.5 ftlb/cid
Honda 2.0 turbo, 9.8 CR: 2.4 ftlb/cid
Honda 1.5t, 10.3 CR: 2.1 ftlb/cid

It would take a tad bit more digging on the hp side, so I'd have to get that to you later. However, the power/cid list is certainly shorter due to the coyotes excellent breathing up too. But you can pretty easily pick up on the 9/1 compression Ford GT making 3 hp/cid, the 9.3/1 BMW S58 making 2.75 hp/cid, and the 9/1 MB M139 making 3.4 hp/cid, as compared to the supercharged coyote making about 2.6 hp/cid and lacking the reliability of the aforementioned.
I will be the first to admit that I did not see the "per cubic inch" statement. So I guess ill give you that. I will also add that honestly I don't really care for torque. A lot of people in the coyote world are obsessed with it. I also don't really care for the whole "hp/ci". At the end of the day, unless you pay a lot out of pocket you are unlikely to see a car from factory that can match the Hp at the wheels that a coyote puts out at 10psi.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I also don't really care for the whole "hp/ci".
I find it useful because it gives you access to a much larger data set and you can learn from those successfully making more. What’s better than 3.5 hp/cid from 122 cid? 3.5 hp/cid from 302 cid of course...

At the end of the day, unless you pay a lot out of pocket you are unlikely to see a car from factory that can match the Hp at the wheels that a coyote puts out at 10psi.
I agree completely, which is why it’s what I have! I’m into mine for 15k less than a hellcat and it’s faster, but not as reliable. I figure if the engine goes I can build a stout lower compression short-block for it and still be ahead on money and power.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
This picture is from the deepblue.lib study chapter 19 page 64. The red lines show temperature, which is nearly the same for all CR's and peak cylinder pressures, just higher CR peaks a little later and lower(EGTs are lower). The pressure is the blue lines, and after peak, you can see they fall nearly identical. The major difference is the higher compression ratio has a "double peak" from the early spark, making it have a less "peaky" and more "flat" pressure curve. The actual pressure doesn't get as high it starts near the maximum already, but the adiabatic pressure actually peaks later with the temperature if you look closely. This is the "double peak." If spark advance was kept ideal it would be peak just like the lower CR, just to a much higher peak. Again the complete opposite of what you are saying. All lowering the compression does is limit the VE of the engine, making you have to rely on the efficiency of the FI more. When 20-30* above ambient is doing well with creating high boost, that is a problem. The key here is to not lower compression, but to have a great calibration and to not let IAT's get out of control to where the calibration cant reduce spark advance enough. If you are planning on running more than 10-11 PSI of boost, plan on upgrading your intercooler/ heat exchanger setup.
In looking at the specific graphs you posted above, something didn't look right to me. In Chapter 17, he claimed low compression and boost made more than double the power vs high compression and no boost assuming the same Pmax. In Chapter 19, Figure 20, he showed that the low compression motor only had a ~10% power and torque advantage over high compression with the same Pmax. Secondly, starting with the basic "motoring" (unfired) curve, the pressures peaked much higher in Chapter 19 Figures 21-23 than they did in Chapter 5 Figure 7. Chapter 19 did not seem to specify the manifold pressure used for each compression ratio. One might mistakenly assume the low compression ratio engine ran higher manifold pressure, but this is not the case. I ran the combination through my own thermodynamic kinematic FEA model to figure out what was going on and see if I could replicate it. It turns out, they assumed the same manifold pressure for all three compression ratios, and a rather high one at that. In Figures 21-23, they used the same manifold pressure of 1.5 bar (~22 psi boost) on all three. One doesn't even need an elaborate engine simulator FEA to determine this your yourself, as the pressure-volume ratio formula is provided and is accurate. This revelation is especially interesting since Figure 20 shows that low compression still had a 10% power and torque advantage over high compression even at the same boost level and Pmax. Something else interesting is that our models both agree that the air charge prior to spark is 200-250 deg F cooler at the lower compression ratio with the same boost but more power. Therefore, the low compression engine is further from detonation and has room to increase manifold pressure, thereby growing its power advantage while maintaining knock safety margin.

Regarding the peak temperature...one of the "aha!" moments when working with my engine FEA model was when I lowered compression ratio and added manifold pressure. I expected to see a higher post combustion temperature, but I didn't. It was nearly the same. That's when it dawned on me that you might burn twice as much fuel but you're also heating twice as much gas with it, so the resulting peak temp is nearly the same. It should be noted that they did not appear to model the temperature of the unburned air/fuel beyond the flame front, which is where detonation occurs. Rather, they modelled the bulk mass temp of the entire gas charge in the cylinder as heat is added. The actual temp of the unburned portion is what would lead to detonation. However, it can be assumed that a higher pre-spark temperature leads to higher temperature in the unburned portion post-spark. This, as noted above, moves you in a safer direction away from detonation.

Regarding the "double peak" when they modelled 11.76/1 compression with 22 psig boost and 5 deg BTDC ignition timing....the "motoring" (unfired) model reached 75-77 bar at TDC and they set the limit to 80 bar. It basically reached combustion pressure before spark even happened. (Think about that when cramming boost into the 12/1 3rd gen). This necessitated retarding the timing all the way to 5 deg BTDC. The drastically delayed ignition timing (I believe you mistakenly wrote "early spark" above) causes the combustion pressure peak to happen so late in the expansion cycle that a second peak occured. I don't think anyone believes this is a good way to run and engine and the author agrees. Efficiency and EGT were even less favorable in this state than they are at 7/1 compression ratio.

The author went on to run a lower speed and boost level. Again, the manifold pressure is not specified but the motoring traces can be replicated by applying 2 psig manifold pressure to both compression ratios. In these low-boost scenarios, the spark timing becomes more conventional and it loses the double-peak. In Figures 24 and 25, one can see the resulting phenomenon that I described earlier. Pmax was again set at 80 bar for both. You can see the pressure peaks happened at about the same time for both 7 and 12/1 compression. However, take a look at the cylinder pressure at 60 deg ATDC. The 12/1 engine looks to have about 27 bar at that time, but the 7/1 engine is still around 31 bar despite having an earlier-occurring combustion process. The larger the starting volume of gas, the slower the pressure degrades as the volume expands. In this way, the lower compression engine can have a higher MEP for the same Pmax.

When I started thermodynamic kinematic FEA engine modelling, there were several times when I thought "that can't be right". I later realized it was, and that I had just been thinking about it wrong. I learned that forced induction enables more power in ways I did not expect. A large part of it is peak temperature control. In the gas compression industry, for instance, most compressors limit the max temperature by compressing in small steps, usually 3/1 pressure ratio, and cooling between those steps. When you have a high compression engine, there is no opportunity to cool the gas before detonation becomes a danger, other than GDI but that's another subject. The post-compression temperature of the compressed gas is a function of the starting temperature (IAT), compression ratio, and specific heat ratio of the gas. Note that initial pressure (boost level) does not affect post-compression temperature. Therefore, barring GDI, the only way to reduce post-compression temperature is to lower IAT and/or lower compression ratio. A high compression ratio sticks you with a high post-compression temperature. Increasing pressure, even with ambient IAT, moves you in the direction of detonation. Forced induction allows you to perform part of the compression cycle outside of the engine and cool the air before entering cylinder for the second stage of compression. You can get all the power advantages of high cylinder pressure while actually reducing the chance of detonation because pre-spark temperature is actually lower. Then, as I explained earlier, the pressure stays higher for longer in the power stroke so the MEP is helped even more. For instance, my model shows that if you drop the Coyote CR from 11 to 10/1 and increase boost to maintain the same Pmax, the BMEP goes up by 5%. The max pre-combustion pressure is the same but the pre-combustion temp drops by over 50 deg F, thereby reducing the chance of detonation. The result is safer and more powerful.

Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Lower compression will not make +10% hp and tq over same motor with higher compression and same boost level. Idk who said that or what the context was but ain’t gonna happen.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Lower compression will not make +10% hp and tq over same motor with higher compression and same boost level. Idk who said that or what the context was but ain’t gonna happen.
You think this is true regardless of ignition timing? What I’m saying is that with 22 psi boost and 12/1 compression the ignition had to be retarded so severely that the net change in power was negative.

From personal experience installing a distributor a tooth off, you can absolutely kill the power of any engine if you retard the timing severely enough.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
In looking at the specific graphs you posted above, something didn't look right to me. In Chapter 17, he claimed low compression and boost made more than double the power vs high compression and no boost assuming the same Pmax. In Chapter 19, Figure 20, he showed that the low compression motor only had a ~10% power and torque advantage over high compression with the same Pmax. Secondly, starting with the basic "motoring" (unfired) curve, the pressures peaked much higher in Chapter 19 Figures 21-23 than they did in Chapter 5 Figure 7. Chapter 19 did not seem to specify the manifold pressure used for each compression ratio. One might mistakenly assume the low compression ratio engine ran higher manifold pressure, but this is not the case. I ran the combination through my own thermodynamic kinematic FEA model to figure out what was going on and see if I could replicate it. It turns out, they assumed the same manifold pressure for all three compression ratios, and a rather high one at that. In Figures 21-23, they used the same manifold pressure of 1.5 bar (~22 psi boost) on all three. One doesn't even need an elaborate engine simulator FEA to determine this your yourself, as the pressure-volume ratio formula is provided and is accurate. This revelation is especially interesting since Figure 20 shows that low compression still had a 10% power and torque advantage over high compression even at the same boost level and Pmax. Something else interesting is that our models both agree that the air charge prior to spark is 200-250 deg F cooler at the lower compression ratio with the same boost but more power. Therefore, the low compression engine is further from detonation and has room to increase manifold pressure, thereby growing its power advantage while maintaining knock safety margin.
the only 10% advantage thats mentioned is for high compression, at low RPM. High RPM is only slightly toward low CR, nothing that can be seen in the graphs.
You misread that and have it backward.

Regarding the peak temperature...one of the "aha!" moments when working with my engine FEA model was when I lowered compression ratio and added manifold pressure. I expected to see a higher post combustion temperature, but I didn't. It was nearly the same. That's when it dawned on me that you might burn twice as much fuel but you're also heating twice as much gas with it, so the resulting peak temp is nearly the same. It should be noted that they did not appear to model the temperature of the unburned air/fuel beyond the flame front, which is where detonation occurs. Rather, they modelled the bulk mass temp of the entire gas charge in the cylinder as heat is added. The actual temp of the unburned portion is what would lead to detonation. However, it can be assumed that a higher pre-spark temperature leads to higher temperature in the unburned portion post-spark. This, as noted above, moves you in a safer direction away from detonation.
I don't agree with the motored traces in the graph I posted, they have those wrong or on a different scale not shown. Detonation has little to do with pre spark temperature. Peak cylinder pressure is what causes it, this is post spark, and what this chapter was comparing. The lower compression engine could not increase its boost more, as you seem to think, It would run into detonation if 80 bar was that threshold. This is why I said, dont let your IATs get out of control when running a high CR engine with boost. You don't seem to understand this, detonation is in the end gases, its different from pre-ignition. Pre-ignition is the engine is out of the ECU's control, luckily with EFI and well designed combustion chambers its very rare.

Regarding the "double peak" when they modelled 11.76/1 compression with 22 psig boost and 5 deg BTDC ignition timing....the "motoring" (unfired) model reached 75-77 bar at TDC and they set the limit to 80 bar. It basically reached combustion pressure before spark even happened. (Think about that when cramming boost into the 12/1 3rd gen). This necessitated retarding the timing all the way to 5 deg BTDC. The drastically delayed ignition timing (I believe you mistakenly wrote "early spark" above) causes the combustion pressure peak to happen so late in the expansion cycle that a second peak occured. I don't think anyone believes this is a good way to run and engine and the author agrees. Efficiency and EGT were even less favorable in this state than they are at 7/1 compression ratio.
I dont agree with the motoring, but I do believe the double peak.
It is a mistake, I meant late not early. Torque pulsations is the only thing mentioned about running the engine with such late spark, at WOT, you probably cant even feel it.
I think its fine, and many motors are ran in the single digit spark advance, the Dodge Demon is one of them at times.

The author went on to run a lower speed and boost level. Again, the manifold pressure is not specified but the motoring traces can be replicated by applying 2 psig manifold pressure to both compression ratios. In these low-boost scenarios, the spark timing becomes more conventional and it loses the double-peak. In Figures 24 and 25, one can see the resulting phenomenon that I described earlier. Pmax was again set at 80 bar for both. You can see the pressure peaks happened at about the same time for both 7 and 12/1 compression. However, take a look at the cylinder pressure at 60 deg ATDC. The 12/1 engine looks to have about 27 bar at that time, but the 7/1 engine is still around 31 bar despite having an earlier-occurring combustion process. The larger the starting volume of gas, the slower the pressure degrades as the volume expands. In this way, the lower compression engine can have a higher MEP for the same Pmax.
Figures 24 and 25 are for low RPM. Its confusing because they switched from showing low med high CR to, high then Low CR graphs, you need to look at descriptions. Again the goal was peak cylinder pressure as a representation when both would be detonation limited. Manifold pressure would not be able to be increased in either motor.
This is showing the 10% advantage toward the high CR that you have backwards.
Sponsored