Sponsored

So many hood strut choices, which one is the best?

Joedag1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I ordered the Ford Performance struts (still waiting on them). Honestly, I picked them because they were affordable. Hopefully it doesn't end up being a "you get what you pay for" scenario. :crackup:
I have them for almost a year they work just fine, worth the money. Be careful not to pinch the washer fluid line on the passenger side.
Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Redline are the best out there. C/S if needed is #1 I had the same set on three cars since 2015 still going strong.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Steeda on my Bullitt. Do the job...

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
OP
OP
speedup

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 triple black GT convertible
No one likes the Roush strut kit? I like the fact it has multiple bolt points for the fender (bolt by the battery and fender) and hood (connects to both hood bolts).. just looks sturdier .. no ?

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I hear ths analogy a lot, especially on the Corvette forum..You spent $80k on a car and only want to spend $5k on the wheels, instead of these $10k wheels that I like. If we all lived by that, there would be no such thing as something decently priced. Every thing is not worth the same to everyone.....and there "should" be nothing wrong with that.
I hear what you're saying but it was the posters comment that spurred my response. He said he bought the FP struts because they were affordable but he already had concerns that they might not be good enough. Sounds like he had doubts before he hit the buy button. Also we are not talking about a 5K difference for wheels. We are not even talking about $500. We are talking about less than $30. I hope the poster gets and like them, but I wonder if he is going to wish he had spent the few extra bucks.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
No one likes the Roush strut kit? I like the fact it has multiple bolt points for the fender (bolt by the battery and fender) and hood (connects to both hood bolts).. just looks sturdier .. no ?
I do not think it's about liking them. Roush just tends be be more expensive. As you can see the two most popular are brands are Redline and Steeda. Redlines cost $100 & the Steeda's are $135. The Roush's are $156. I already have the Steeda trunk pop up struts and I will be buying their hood struts as well.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
I got the FP ones, didn't like them. Then ordered the Steeda which was a bit more expensive. It was totally worth. The Steeda kit is much more beefy and works fine since 2 years

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I ordered the Ford Performance struts (still waiting on them). Honestly, I picked them because they were affordable. Hopefully it doesn't end up being a "you get what you pay for" scenario. :crackup:
I've had the FP struts for about a year and so far they're doing a fine job. Much better than having the prop rod. I'll echo what someone else stated, watch out for the washer fluid line on the passenger side or it could get pinched. I ended up pulling out the last retaining clip to reposition the line so it wouldn't be a problem. I don't know if this is an issue unique to the FP struts, or other struts also face this issue.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Redline was excellent for me. I would buy it again.
Same for me, they work great. A couple friends have the Steeda set and they also work very well. You won't go wrong with either pair.

Sponsored
OP
OP
speedup

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well.. just ordered the Steeda set. The install looks super easy, that prop rod had to go.. lol

OP
OP
speedup

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just be careful when you tighten the hood bracket bolt. The '18+ are pretty weak. I've seen several broken off trying to cinch them down too tight.
Thanks for the advice!

Erratikmind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Prem M6/401A/PP1/MR, '19 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I installed the Redline hood struts. The same on my Jeep have worked out very well. So, I opted for the same on my Mustang.

OP
OP
speedup

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just be careful when you tighten the hood bracket bolt. The '18+ are pretty weak. I've seen several broken off trying to cinch them down too tight.
Thanks again for mentioning the weak hood bracket bolt - I had no idea! I started searching for it and just read one of the (long) threads where someone broke the hood bolt installing a steeda set. 10-12 ft lbs torque doesn't seem like much on a bolt that will have the stress of opening/closing and supporting the hood. Does the bracket start turning over time?

I decided to order the Roush set also. The longer bracket that hits both the hood bolts just looks so much sturdier
Sponsored