MGW Shifter with Ashiko Review

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
OP, how does the girth differ from the stock one......does it feel better in your hand?
Sponsored

OP
OP
NoXiDe

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
@Tonymustang302 That's also preference too. I'll word it this way, I have no complaints with it. This is the only shift knob that I have ever bought for any manual transmission vehicle so I've gone through only one while many others have a drawer filled with different shift knobs. "I" think it feels better in my hand.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
I have the MGW shifter and Billetworkz Half Tear Drop knob. I keep reading about the 2-3 issue but I never have any trouble going into any gears. Maybe a kettle bell is the fix......:muscle:

OP
OP
NoXiDe

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have the MGW shifter and Billetworkz Half Tear Drop knob. I keep reading about the 2-3 issue but I never have any trouble going into any gears. Maybe a kettle bell is the fix......:muscle:
I'll be honest with you, I know George from MGW made a comment about heavy shift knobs may cause wear to the spring and also the transmission. A member commented and said Tremec most likely accounted for the abuse to the transmission so it really doesn't matter. i'll throw another one for you to think about. I'd bet that not all springs are made equal. It doesn't make sense that some people have issues and some others don't. Perfect example, Jeff Ashton who tracks his car, known YouTuber, and etc. He removed the MGW Shifter because he also had issues 3-2. MGW's suggestion was to remove the spring entirely but the suggestion came too late.

Once again, I'd say not all springs are made equal. I'd also say that is even true for firearms' recoil springs.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
I'll be honest with you, I know George from MGW made a comment about heavy shift knobs may have cause wear to the spring and also the transmission. A member commented and said Tremec most likely accounted for the abuse to the transmission so it really doesn't matter. i'll throw another one for you to think about. I'd bet that not all springs are made equal. It doesn't make sense that some people have issues and some others don't. Perfect example, Jeff Ashton who tracks his car, known YouTuber, and etc. He removed the MGW Shifter because he also had issues 3-2. MGW's suggestion was to remove the spring entirely but the suggestion came too late.

Once again, I'd say not all springs are made equal. I'd also say that is even true for firearms' recoil springs.
IDK know what the answer is. All I can contribute is my experience using the MGW. Sometimes things are just the way they are and the operator needs to adjust to the machine or mechanics. I've driven everything from triple tree 3 speeds to Semi trucks and when there is an issue with shifting it's mostly on the operator not adapting to the mechanics of shifting. I'm only saying this to give people something to think about before giving up on a shifter or a vehicle because it doesn't shift to what their expectations think it should shift like.

Adapt and overcome.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
IDK know what the answer is. All I can contribute is my experience using the MGW. Sometimes things are just the way they are and the operator needs to adjust to the machine or mechanics. I've driven everything from triple tree 3 speeds to Semi trucks and when there is an issue with shifting it's mostly on the operator not adapting to the mechanics of shifting. I'm only saying this to give people something to think about before giving up on a shifter or a vehicle because it doesn't shift to what their expectations think it should shift like.

Adapt and overcome.
This is why I will never "upgrade" to MGW. I'm already happy with stock. In fact I think it is perfect for me. Why fix what is not broken?

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
This is why I will never "upgrade" to MGW. I'm already happy with stock. In fact I think it is perfect for me. Why fix what is not broken?
true. But I gotta tell you that the MGW is really really nice compared to stock.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Coming to Florida any time soon? You have an open invitation to stop by and drive mine. Not saying it will win you over, but you must be at least a little interested in what an alternative interpretation of the shifting mechanism feels like? :)

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
@Tonymustang302 That's also preference too. I'll word it this way, I have no complaints with it. This is the only shift knob that I have ever bought for any manual transmission vehicle so I've gone through only one while many others have a drawer filled with different shift knobs. "I" think it feels better in my hand.
i prefer a short girthy one compared to a long skinny one.......i dont want to be able to have my fingers touch my palm when im holding it in my hand. Just my shifter preference.

Sponsored

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
true. But I gotta tell you that the MGW is really really nice compared to stock.
u shut your rare leadfoot grey colored gt350 mouth

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Coming to Florida any time soon? You have an open invitation to stop by and drive mine. Not saying it will win you over, but you must be at least a little interested in what an alternative interpretation of the shifting mechanism feels like? :)
Does that invitation extend to others :fingerscrossed:? I'll be in Jax for work around June time frame assuming the current COVID situation doesn't change too much.

Always wondered whether the $500 for an MGW was worth it....I know a lot of people swear by them.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Does that invitation extend to others :fingerscrossed:? I'll be in Jax for work around June time frame assuming the current COVID situation doesn't change too much.

Always wondered whether the $500 for an MGW was worth it....I know a lot of people swear by them.
haha, choose your own adventure

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to try it out. Not planning on coming to Florida anytime soon especially while the pandemic is still going on. My dad lives in The Villages and I visit him from time to time.
Sponsored