Sponsored

My journey through 50th anniversary decisions

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Journey

This might be long. So bear with me. I do have a point here. I’ve got something that really won’t matter to anyone but me. But I’ve got to get it out of my head. Some of you might appreciate this.

Here lately, I’ve been having the itch for a new car. Ever since the gt350 heritage was announced, I’ve somewhat lusted over it. But it’s just more than i want to spend on a car and, it’s not really the ideal daily driver. It’s gonna ride a bit stiff. Plus it’s a manual. I love manuals. But not for my daily. I’m spoiled. My cobra is a manual. When I wanna row my own and make a bunch of noise, I drive it. So, honestly, the 50th is almost perfect for me for a daily driver. I’d like a little more power, I’d like sync 3 and I’d like ford pass to start it with my phone. Especially on cold mornings after I work nights. That said.....

Cars have souls. If you don’t know this, or feel your cars soul, you should go buy a Camry. Sure, that might be overkill, and you can disagree, but I stand by that. And the 50th has a certain soul that very few cars have. I’ve driven plenty of mustangs, owner 13 of them now. I’ve driven exotics. I’ve driven more trucks and family cars than I can count. But few cars have that soul that is palpable when you get in it. The cobras do. Ferrari’s do. Lamborghini? Not so much. Vettes even. Camaros even have one lurking in the shadows. But the 50th has a soul that, if you feel it, and it grabs you, you can’t get away from. It’s not just the “lipstick on a pig” that people claim. There’s something special about these cars. And you either get it or you don’t.

That said. I ordered my first one in may of 2014. I took delivery of #275 on November 8th 2014. I have everything on it. I even have the railcar tracking scan data. I have pics of it when it was awaiting prep on the yard. I have pics of it on the truck coming from railyard to dealership. I do miss that particular one, but I can never have it back, for reasons I won’t get into. I knew I made a mistake when I was driving away from the dealership. I was frustrated with it since it never acted just perfect with the blower on it. I had rebuilt my house after a flood from the trunk of a mustang, and was looking a couple big projects requiring borrowing a truck in the future at the time. I drove that truck for a year. Then i started wanting a mustang again. Went and checked out the 2019’s but just didn’t click to me. But then, I stumbled across #1596. Owner by a guy here, still 2/4 years left on the warranty. And 400 miles in it. Right at a year ago now. I bought it. Traded that 1 year old truck with 8k miles on it in. As soon as I sat in it, I knew I was home. My quote to my wife when we got in it to drive home (~520 miles, we did 1040mi in 30 hours total) was “all is right in the world again”. My wife, who never tells me what to do, said “you will not get rid of this car except for another special mustang”. I happily agreed to those terms. Then along came the heritage edition gt350. If any one thing was to go right, a bit cheaper or 0% offered on it, I’d go for that. Sure, it would be missing the ability to remote start it, and I’d have to just suffer (is it really suffering?) driving a manual daily. But I don’t end up in bad traffic as often as I used to now. So I could deal. But it’s just more than I wanna spend. So that idea went the way of the dodo. I read about the possible Mach 1, and really like the idea of 480-500hp, the new a10, magnaride and the other rumors. Sounds perfect! Except the idea of getting rid of #1596 started giving me anxiety. It has an auto. It has the big brakes. I dearly love the interior. And, it has soul. Soul that no other car I have ever driven has.

So, that said, unless something comes along that just knocks my socks off, #1596 is safe in my hands for awhile. I’m going to upgrade to sync3. I’m going to start with a tuner and see if that satisfies me, but I’ve talked to the tuner that did my last one and one of the issues I was having should get resolved due to my ecu being a later calibration now with this one. And I can add ford pass via a dongle and 17$ a month. That’s still a whole lot cheaper than another note for 5 or 6 more years. And it really would bring my anniversary, soul and all, up to what I am wanting.

I know that’s a long story but I had to get it out of my head. Thought some of you guys could relate or it may even help you if you’re having a pull in your heart.
Sponsored

y2ksilverbullit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 GT 5M, 2001 DHG Bullitt, 2015 GT 50 YR LE A6
I feel you. I've been toying with the Heritage Edition idea myself... The dealer I bought "Leona" from is getting a 350R Heritage Edition. MSRP is $79,490. Part of the reason of not sticking with #272 was the manual transmission woes some had spoke of. I am fully confident in the Tremec in the GT350/350Rs which has me seriously contemplating the trade, assuming numbers could work out. Only thing that keeps me coming back to keeping the 50 LE though is that the Heritage Edition is just an add-on package and not a limited run. I doubt there will be 1,964, or more, produced of them, but not quite the nostalgia of the LE, or 2015 GT350/GT350R numbers that were actually limited. Can't hurt to have a convo with the dealership though I guess...lol:sunglasses:

OP
OP
SVTFreak

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh I’ve had a few conversations with the dealership about them. I could also get it at msrp and for what I want would be about 67. Tech package and leather seats. And it would be special. It’s the only mustang I would trade the anniversary for right now. I’d miss being able to remote start it, but I could live without that for the soul I imagine that car would have. But, for that one, it’s strictly a money thing. I’m just hesitant to spend that much right now.

y2ksilverbullit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It will be interesting to see how many Heritage Edition optioned 350/350Rs end up being built. The GT350 option is definitely a better option financially over the R, but the "R" package elements definitely set that car off more.... And in the current economic conditions, I am hesitant as well. All while thinking, this is the time to buy something if you're going to, before inflation rears it ugly head soon. Either way, it's fun to play the mind games lol.:crazy::like:

on edit: I wonder if Ford will send letters once 2020 GT350/350R production is complete and give the breakdown of Heritage Editions, if you purchased one...??

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Another thing to think about...

Those who own the true 50th LE are in a special class of S550’s - only 1,964 were built with (2) exterior color options, 50th LE specific parts, specific interior upholstery, a unique VIN + Build # and of course the unique layered rear 1/4 window glass.

Your class is diminished by some who have gone to pasture prematurely, so there’s no longer 1,964 in existence today.

————

If I were an owner of one of the 1,964, regardless of the build #, I would enjoy the car and definitely hold on to it. Cars are no investments, but the 2015 50th from the 1,964 batch only happens once in a lifetime and who knows how many will survive the future.

Unfortunately the S550 Shelby’s are just played out... engine issues plague some (if you have not read through all the current and past posts in the GT350 sub-section), they’re really not “limited” when Ford is producing them year after year since 2015 (only limited in the sense of “by year” and even them, production counts are very high) and the market is pretty much saturated with them.

The 1,964 LE is also more limited than the S550 Bullitt - which again, Ford oversaturated the market by allowing 2 years of the build.

Think of the 1,964 LE 50ths as being in the same category as the 1993 Cobra R, the 1995 Cobra R and the 2000 Cobra R - granted the true 50th LE is not a Cobra nor a Cobra R, but what it DOES have in common is 1 year only production run and only 1,964 examples built, period. Such a build only happens 1x and the limited build quantity is what will keep these true 50th LE’s future value higher than any modern cookie-cut Shelby or next gen “limited” production Mustang.

Trust me on the above... so if you can, hold on to your LE 50th. Come back in another 10-20 years and revisit this thread to see how special that 50th LE really is from the perspective of a Mustang milestone.

*For those modifying or upgrading their 50th LE - KEEP any original parts removed... any such parts as the OEM battery, suspension parts, engine parts, rims, etc. Everyone always tosses such parts - but having those parts with a LE produced car such as the 50th, will be highly sought after to still being with the car in future years.

Sponsored

y2ksilverbullit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a good word Cobra Jet. I am doing just that. Only mod I have on mine is the Ford Performance by Borla Touring Catback. I have kept everything I've taken off, even including the factory oil filter and original air filter from the factory. I know this might seem silly to some, but I think keeping these types of things add a cool story to the car as it ages...

mgh-tx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former owner of 2015 Mustang 50th Anniversary #1596
Journey

This might be long. So bear with me. I do have a point here. I’ve got something that really won’t matter to anyone but me. But I’ve got to get it out of my head. Some of you might appreciate this.

Here lately, I’ve been having the itch for a new car. Ever since the gt350 heritage was announced, I’ve somewhat lusted over it. But it’s just more than i want to spend on a car and, it’s not really the ideal daily driver. It’s gonna ride a bit stiff. Plus it’s a manual. I love manuals. But not for my daily. I’m spoiled. My cobra is a manual. When I wanna row my own and make a bunch of noise, I drive it. So, honestly, the 50th is almost perfect for me for a daily driver. I’d like a little more power, I’d like sync 3 and I’d like ford pass to start it with my phone. Especially on cold mornings after I work nights. That said.....

Cars have souls. If you don’t know this, or feel your cars soul, you should go buy a Camry. Sure, that might be overkill, and you can disagree, but I stand by that. And the 50th has a certain soul that very few cars have. I’ve driven plenty of mustangs, owner 13 of them now. I’ve driven exotics. I’ve driven more trucks and family cars than I can count. But few cars have that soul that is palpable when you get in it. The cobras do. Ferrari’s do. Lamborghini? Not so much. Vettes even. Camaros even have one lurking in the shadows. But the 50th has a soul that, if you feel it, and it grabs you, you can’t get away from. It’s not just the “lipstick on a pig” that people claim. There’s something special about these cars. And you either get it or you don’t.

That said. I ordered my first one in may of 2014. I took delivery of #275 on November 8th 2014. I have everything on it. I even have the railcar tracking scan data. I have pics of it when it was awaiting prep on the yard. I have pics of it on the truck coming from railyard to dealership. I do miss that particular one, but I can never have it back, for reasons I won’t get into. I knew I made a mistake when I was driving away from the dealership. I was frustrated with it since it never acted just perfect with the blower on it. I had rebuilt my house after a flood from the trunk of a mustang, and was looking a couple big projects requiring borrowing a truck in the future at the time. I drove that truck for a year. Then i started wanting a mustang again. Went and checked out the 2019’s but just didn’t click to me. But then, I stumbled across #1596. Owner by a guy here, still 2/4 years left on the warranty. And 400 miles in it. Right at a year ago now. I bought it. Traded that 1 year old truck with 8k miles on it in. As soon as I sat in it, I knew I was home. My quote to my wife when we got in it to drive home (~520 miles, we did 1040mi in 30 hours total) was “all is right in the world again”. My wife, who never tells me what to do, said “you will not get rid of this car except for another special mustang”. I happily agreed to those terms. Then along came the heritage edition gt350. If any one thing was to go right, a bit cheaper or 0% offered on it, I’d go for that. Sure, it would be missing the ability to remote start it, and I’d have to just suffer (is it really suffering?) driving a manual daily. But I don’t end up in bad traffic as often as I used to now. So I could deal. But it’s just more than I wanna spend. So that idea went the way of the dodo. I read about the possible Mach 1, and really like the idea of 480-500hp, the new a10, magnaride and the other rumors. Sounds perfect! Except the idea of getting rid of #1596 started giving me anxiety. It has an auto. It has the big brakes. I dearly love the interior. And, it has soul. Soul that no other car I have ever driven has.

So, that said, unless something comes along that just knocks my socks off, #1596 is safe in my hands for awhile. I’m going to upgrade to sync3. I’m going to start with a tuner and see if that satisfies me, but I’ve talked to the tuner that did my last one and one of the issues I was having should get resolved due to my ecu being a later calibration now with this one. And I can add ford pass via a dongle and 17$ a month. That’s still a whole lot cheaper than another note for 5 or 6 more years. And it really would bring my anniversary, soul and all, up to what I am wanting.

I know that’s a long story but I had to get it out of my head. Thought some of you guys could relate or it may even help you if you’re having a pull in your heart.
Glad you are still enjoying #1596. I do miss that car but I am glad it is getting driven and taken well care of.
Mike

OP
OP
SVTFreak

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad you are still enjoying #1596. I do miss that car but I am glad it is getting driven and taken well care of.
Mike
Hey Mike! Yes, I am loving it. Nearly 9k miles, recent oil change (swapped to Mobil 1 5w-30). I’m even keeping it clean! Lol. She’s been a flawless car so far, save for one little squeak I am having a hard time tracing. I still appreciate you pointing me in the right direction to pick it up.

I am having trouble finding any info on the smartlink though. But that’s minor annoyance. I’ll prolly go chat with my dealership one day.

JCF204

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 F-350
When buying mine, I had decided to get a used GT350. But ultimately this was a much better choice and I daily drive mine as well. I love my car and hope I never need to sell it.

Edge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Milky
Same dilemma here, @SVTFreak, except now most (if not all) of the GT350 HEP cars have been sold and are firmly in the "used" category which makes the decision even more difficult.

On the one hand, I can easily get want I paid for my 50th GT LE 5 years ago back in full because of the crazy used car market right now, I've always wanted a Shelby or a Boss 302 and the initial appeal and novelty of the GT350 HEP is starting to wear off for some people who are now starting to sell low mileage GT350 HEP cars. On the other hand, I have the same feelings about my 50th GT LE that you do about both of yours, especially since I sold my 1965 GT that I owned for nearly 18 years to make room for my 50th GT LE (long story, but three kids essentially equals no time for the needed continual maintenance to keep a 50-year-old occasional driver in good shape and available for that occasional drive), and my wife likes it too!
Sponsored